• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which ~$1000 8x roof binoculars have the least chromatic aberration? (1 Viewer)

JayW

Looking to get an 8x32 or 8x42 almost Alpha roof binocular. I'm leaning towards the Zeiss Conquest but still doing research. The best binoculars I've had in regards to CA have been the Oberwerk 8x32 SE and a ZenRay ED2 7x36. Would love to get the same optical performance as the Oberwerk SE but in a less bulky package.

Looking to get an 8x32 or 8x42 almost Alpha roof binocular. I'm leaning towards the Zeiss Conquest but still doing research. The best binoculars I've had in regards to CA have been the Oberwerk 8x32 SE and a ZenRay ED2 7x36. Would love to get the same optical performance as the Oberwerk SE but in a less bulky package.
Hello,

that Conquest 8x32 is very good, IMO the best glass in the series, it is very close to the Zeiss FL.

But... if CA is very important to you, if I were you I would look for a used Zeiss FL 8x32, still one of the best when it comes to CA.
The FL is also a bit more manageable overall.

The Conquest isn't bad in terms of discipline either.

The Conquest is a little more comfortable for people who wear glasses.

Andreas

The Kowa Genesis series is often mentioned when the priority is minimal chromatic aberration in this price segment. I have the 8x33 and can confirm that they do a very good job of controlling chromatic aberration

I think the Oberwerk's CA control derives from the fact that it's porro. But it seems like you want to move away from that size class. I'm curious to read which roofs will be labeled as best CA control.

Also worth pointing out that there's probably some individual variation in CA sensitivity.

Hello,

I don't see the direct connection, Porros also often have noticeable CA!?

Andreas
I was under the impression that porro's are supposed to be better at CA control. (??) But now that you mention it I guess there are porro's with CA too? :eek: I think I remember seeing CA on the moon in the Oberwerk 20x65 ED. (I don't remember anymore). And I still have my original pair of 25x celestron skymasters so i guess I could always check.

I will tell you I don't think I've ever seen CA in the Swarovski Habicht 10x40 GA. Maybe one time I was close to provoking it but I don't think so. There's this brown railing on a rooftop across the street that's a great test for it. The full moon is also another great test subject.

I was under the impression that porro's are supposed to be better at CA control. (??) But now that you mention it I guess there are porro's with CA too? :eek:
IMO you can't say that in general!

Compare a Fujinon FMT 10x50 with a Zeiss FL 10x56, or a Fujinon FMT 16x70 with a Swarovski SLC 15x56, you will be surprised.

I've had several Porros that noticeably showed CA.

The Swarovski Habicht is of course very good in this discipline.;)

Andreas

Hello,

that Conquest 8x32 is very good, IMO the best glass in the series, it is very close to the Zeiss FL.

But... if CA is very important to you, if I were you I would look for a used Zeiss FL 8x32, still one of the best when it comes to CA.
The FL is also a bit more manageable overall.

The Conquest isn't bad in terms of discipline either.

The Conquest is a little more comfortable for people who wear glasses.

Andreas
Agree about 32FL's. Amazingly lacking all CA (to my eyes)!

Thanks for the info, Conndomat. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. My main interest is raptors, with a lot of on the wing viewing of course. Pretty much the worst for CA!

Good to know, thanks MiddleRiver.

The Kowa Genesis series is often mentioned when the priority is minimal chromatic aberration in this price segment. I have the 8x33 and can confirm that they do a very good job of controlling chromatic aberration
Yes that one looks good, thanks for the tip!

Jay I don't know if you're in the USA but I just purchased Nikon EDG 8x42's for about $1400 from Japan. The most color-free binos I've used would be #1 EDG 7x42 and #2 EDG 8x42. For example the 8x42 has far less CA than my Zeiss SF 8x42. I specifically got the 8x42 EDG for this reason, after a couple sessions on winter snow the purple fringing at the edge of field in the Zeiss drove me crazy.

I recommend people "stretch" that extra $400 from the $1000 level to get the EDG all the time. It's the best value out there in high-end binoculars today IMO. In addition to the lack of CA, everything including the focuser & body is a big upgrade over the other $1000-$1500 level binoculars.

Jay I don't know if you're in the USA but I just purchased Nikon EDG 8x42's for about $1400 from Japan. The most color-free binos I've used would be #1 EDG 7x42 and #2 EDG 8x42. For example the 8x42 has far less CA than my Zeiss SF 8x42. I specifically got the 8x42 EDG for this reason, after a couple sessions on winter snow the purple fringing at the edge of field in the Zeiss drove me crazy.

I recommend people "stretch" that extra $400 from the $1000 level to get the EDG all the time. It's the best value out there in high-end binoculars today IMO. In addition to the lack of CA, everything including the focuser & body is a big upgrade over the other $1000-$1500 level binoculars.
Nice writeup. Too bad they discontinued the 32mm

Thanks, Scott98. I've heard how good the EDG is in general, but didn't realize they excel in the CA department too. I'll have to seriously think about getting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back