• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best places in the USA for summer birding (1 Viewer)

tnbut772

United States
I live in the Houston area and heard that birding in Texas isn't too reliable in the summer months due to the heat. I'm thinking of spending a week birding in another state/area during the summer but am unsure of some good spots that have reliable birding during these hot months. Foreign travel is not an option. I should note that I'm not looking for any type of bird in particular, and am simply aiming to increase my life list. Any suggestions?

Maine, w. Washington, w. Oregon, or Colorado would be cooler locations offering a nice variety of birds.

Last edited:
I'd do western Washington. Combine with a Pelagic trip with Westport.

Edit: Westport is 100% booked for 2023.

Last edited:
Colorado would be a good first trip out west. Central and Northern California as well. Even if pelagic trips are booked out in those areas, there are usually whale watch tours going out regularly, and while you won't see the variety of birds you would see on a dedicated pelagic seabirding trip, you should get a range of common species, especially out of Monterey.

I‘m late to the dance here but my wife and I enjoyed our July/August trip to southern AZ few years back. The “sky islands” are wonderfully cool, even chilly at 7000-8000’. We would start “low”, at 4500-5000’ in the high desert and work our way up in elevation for a nice range of species. Be aware July is thunderstorm season. Top of a mountain is not the ideal place to be in the afternoon.
As the rainy season ends, the breeding sparrows sing and display, giving a much better chance to identify them. Also, the daytime temperatures can moderated slightly by the afternoon clouds.
We had the unique experience for us easterners of watching rainfall that never reached us since the drops dried in the desert air before reaching the ground. There was a much appreciated cooling effect. Wikipedia calls is a “virga” but we heard another name that I unfortunately don't remember.

Steve

Thank you all for the post and sorry for the late response. I've been thinking of going to Southern Arizona as I've heard it's one of the best places to bird in the country and will keep that on my list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back