• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best seed for doves? (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
I have some feeders in front of my window, partly because they're excellent entertainment for the cat. She's especially interested in the white-winged doves, because of all the tail-bobbing they do, and because sometimes multiple ones cram onto a feeder at once and they both flail for a bit.

I want to set up a little feeder specifically for them, but I can't figure out what they want. They're interested in the dish of millet and other small seeds, but some individual ones throw the seeds around like they're digging for a particular thing, and they wind up wasting a bunch of it. I don't have the bag for the millet mix (a neighbor gave me some in a container), so I can't check the contents. It's all small, pale seeds. Any idea what it is they're interested in?

For your entertainment, please enjoy said cat getting incredibly excited about a dove on the windowsill. The window has a one-way film on it, so the birds have no idea she's there. I want to attach a little platform to the windowsill, both so the doves don't have to try to balance on swinging hanging feeders, and so the cat gets more of this. If you have a cat that likes birds, I 100% recommend a feeder and some one-way film. Best entertainment in the world.

When I put out simple black oil sunflower seeds, primarily for the cardinals in my area, the dove simply will not leave the yard.

I did some testing with containers of seeds, to see what the doves ate the most of. Safflower seeds go over really well, as do hulled sunflower seeds. Millet is pretty popular as well, as are sunflower seeds, but the safflower seeds really seem to be the winner. There's also one particularly big male dove who likes to eat peanut chunks.

IMG_8712.jpg

I'm mostly giving them safflower seeds now, with a pile of mixed nuts, dried berries, and hulled sunflower seeds (basically it's trail mix for birds) on the side for the jays. Check out the subtle purples around that center one's neck and head.

Judging by this, the safflower seeds go over well.

IMG_8683.jpg

Sometimes I put out something a little fancier-looking, because I think it looks neat. Of course they almost immediately mess it up. Don't mind the cherry chunks on the windowsill, nothing really seems to want those.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back