• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sirui va-5 Head - Horizontal pan lock (2 Viewers)

Gzoladz74

Morning,

I got the tripod head above...very happy with it. However, when I lock the horizontal pan knob, the head does not get fully locked. It applies sufficient resistance for the head not to move horizontally, but if I applied a little bit of pressure, I can move it.

Does anybody with the same head know if there is an adjustment somewhere that can be done, or it is a "feature" of the head?

For those interested, I use it with a Sirui ST-125 carbon tripod. tripod and head: 1.8kg, Scope: 2.0kg. Weight and size was an important consideration and when it is windy I hang the backpack of the hook of the tripod. So far, so good.

Hi Gzoladz

I have the va-5. The pan lock on mine can be tightened enough to make an anticlockwise pan loosen the head from the tripod, plenty enough for me. The other item of note with that function on the va-5 is that because it gets in the way of pointing the scope at zenith I always run the scope the wrong way round, i.e with the pan adjustment lever on the telescopes objective side.

I've been viewing lesser kestrels, peregrines and black kites soaring high over Seville this week at good ranges with my monarch 82 scope on my gitzo gt1545t with the 20-60 zoom and the head has performed faultlessly. The only problem I have had with the head is that the pan handle when tightened still wobbles a little which at hight magnification is not a good thing at all, I don't tend to use a pan handle anyway but it was something I noted when first trying out the head.

Will

tHANKS
Hi Gzoladz

I have the va-5. The pan lock on mine can be tightened enough to make an anticlockwise pan loosen the head from the tripod, plenty enough for me. The other item of note with that function on the va-5 is that because it gets in the way of pointing the scope at zenith I always run the scope the wrong way round, i.e with the pan adjustment lever on the telescopes objective side.

I've been viewing lesser kestrels, peregrines and black kites soaring high over Seville this week at good ranges with my monarch 82 scope on my gitzo gt1545t with the 20-60 zoom and the head has performed faultlessly. The only problem I have had with the head is that the pan handle when tightened still wobbles a little which at hight magnification is not a good thing at all, I don't tend to use a pan handle anyway but it was something I noted when first trying out the head.

Will
Thanks Will, mine definitely tights much less than that...there must be a way to fix that that I need to check. Not a big issue though.

The pan handle of mine is actually rock solid...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back