• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better rainguard for the CL Curio (1 Viewer)

pm42

Hi,
Someone here noticed a while ago that the rainguard for the CL Curio are not convenient to use the fit the binoculars only when they are folded.
So I designed what I think is a better version.
You can see the pictures.

You can order it here 'Rainguard CL Curio wide tab' | 3D Printing | Sculpteo by choosing "Multijet fusion" as a process, "TPU" as a material and "Chemical smoothing" as the print option. I do not make any money out of it, sculteo is just the 3D printing provider I use.

If some wants to tune the design, let me know and I'll upload the OpenSCAD file.

P.S: thanks to w220 for being a beta-tester.

Attachments

• _3130001.jpg
    _3130001.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 117
  • _3130002.jpg
    _3130002.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 120
This looks great!
Would these also fit the older Swarovski 8x20?

I see the 3D printing provider has phone numbers in different EU countries including a.o France, Spain and Germany, and you can pay in €. I wonder if it is actually printed in the EU if you buy from the EU (to reduce shipment, avoid import taxes etc.)

Would these also fit the older Swarovski 8x20?
No idea. I do not have them so I cannot try.

I see the 3D printing provider has phone numbers in different EU countries including a.o France, Spain and Germany, and you can pay in €. I wonder if it is actually printed in the EU if you buy from the EU (to reduce shipment, avoid import taxes etc.)
They are printed in Europe. I printed mine in France and talked to their local representatives who were french and very helpful. I never had to pay for import taxes.

Thank you for the info!
I will try to measure the diameter of the eyecups of the 8x20. I guess that that will be the main factor and should be easy to compare with the Curio or with the designed rainguard.
Or maybe the position of the eyelet where the straps goes through might also matter. I’ll have a look at that too.

No problem paying for stuff, especially stuff as good as this, but signing up and creating an account just to make a purchase ... not really.

The outer diameter of the eyecups of the 8x20 is 29,5mm.
Could someone measure the outer eyecup diameter for the Curio 7x21?
Or also, what is the corresponding inner diameter on each side of this 3D printer rainguard?

The position of eyelet should approximately match, I think. Thus this rainguard might also be a good fit for the 8x20 if those diameters are compatible.

A quick measurement gave around 28 mm for the diameter of the Curio eycupdiameter, so 29-30 mm should do the job for an eyecup. Personally I would go for a bit of space so the eyecup would not be so tight.
Gijs van Ginkel

The outer diameter of the eyecups of the 8x20 is 29,5mm.
Could someone measure the outer eyecup diameter for the Curio 7x21?
Or also, what is the corresponding inner diameter on each side of this 3D printer rainguard?

The position of eyelet should approximately match, I think. Thus this rainguard might also be a good fit for the 8x20 if those diameters are compatible.
The Curio eyecup diameter is 30.3mm. The rainguard inside diameter is between 31mm and 32mm.
Because of the hooks, it may not fit another binoculars.

I built a rainguard for the Ultravid 8x20 and it really needs to be finely tuned. If not, it does not stay in place.

Thank you for the quick answers!
I have measured the diameter of the eyecup with some good old school callipers, checking both eyecups and measuring more than once, so that should be quite accurate. (Unless the callipers are off…)
I am wondering if I should just give it a try with the current 3D model, or adapt it. But the change would probably only be to reduce the diameters by 0,5 or 0,8 mm maximum. Would that already make a significant difference?
If with the ’hooks’ you mean the eyelets for the neckstrap, I think they seem to be positioned quite well for the Swarovski 8x20 too.
Those two Swarovski‘s are very similar regarding size and folding.

I am wondering if I should just give it a try with the current 3D model, or adapt it. But the change would probably only be to reduce the diameters by 0,5 or 0,8 mm maximum. Would that already make a significant difference?
Yes it would.

If with the ’hooks’ you mean the eyelets for the neckstrap, I think they seem to be positioned quite well for the Swarovski 8x20 too.
Those two Swarovski‘s are very similar regarding size and folding.

No, the hooks are really hooks (unless I'm misusing this word) because the Curio eyecup are not high enough to keep the rainguard in place with only friction.

I'm thinking about the best solution to adapt the design to the Swaro 8x20 without having to build several prototypes. Not sure yet.
Can you post a picture of the binocular with a good view of the eyecups?

Attachments

• hooks.jpg
    hooks.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 15
Great thread. To the extent helpful below are pics of the Curio and SW 8X20 Habicht. The position of the strap lugs are slightly different when unfolded but moreso when fully folded. In my experience this does not make any difference in use or accessorizing.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
No, the hooks are really hooks (unless I'm misusing this word) because the Curio eyecup are not high enough to keep the rainguard in place with only friction.
Wow, this looks like very nicely tailored work! (y)

I'm thinking about the best solution to adapt the design to the Swaro 8x20 without having to build several prototypes. Not sure yet.
Great thread. To the extent helpful below are pics of the Curio and SW 8X20 Habicht. The position of the strap lugs are slightly different when unfolded but moreso when fully folded. In my experience this does not make any difference in use or accessorizing.

Mike
This forum is great!
:D
Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Wow, this looks like very nicely tailored work! (y)

This forum is great!
:D
Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Below is a pic comparing fully extended eye cups on the Curio and 8x20 Habicht. To hazard a WAG, given the hooks included on the 3 D rainguard customized for the Curio, it would probably work well enough on the 8x20 without further modification or adaptation. Let me know if further pics would be helpful.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
Below is a pic comparing fully extended eye cups on the Curio and 8x20 Habicht. To hazard a WAG, given the hooks included on the 3 D rainguard customized for the Curio, it would probably work well enough on the 8x20 without further modification or adaptation. Let me know if further pics would be helpful.
I'm not sure. The Curio flange is taller.

What I would need are pictures like the ones below but for the 8x20: caliper measurement of the eyecup diameter and flange height.
With this, I can design a rainguard. I'll move the strap lug a bit too.

Because I will not be able to test it, I cannot guarantee it will be a perfect fit so anyone who orders it will do at his own risk (but because I'm not making any money out of this, this seems fair to me).

Attachments

• flange1.jpg
    flange1.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 21
  • flange2.jpg
    flange2.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 21

What I would need are pictures like the ones below but for the 8x20: caliper measurement of the eyecup diameter and flange height.

Because I will not be able to test it, I cannot guarantee it will be a perfect fit so anyone who orders it will do at his own risk (but because I'm not making any money out of this, this seems fair to me).

Thanks, those pics show what you need perfectly. I should be able to find some calipers over the weekend and do the measuring. The calipers will also come in handy for other hobbies as well.

Finally got some digital calipers and measured referring to your pictures. For the SW 8x20 outer eyecup diameter is 29.59 and flange height is 3.75. I measured the Curio as well and measured outer diameter at 30.41 (slightly larger than your 30.36) and flange height at 5.13,(same as yours). Couldn't take useful photos.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back