• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better rainguard for the CL Curio (1 Viewer)

I've designed the 8x20 rainguard.
The link is 'Rainguard Swaro 8x20' | Impression 3D | Sculpteo
Instructions are the same as above, i.e. choose "Multijet fusion" as a process, "TPU" as a material and "Chemical smoothing" as the print option.

w220 wanted a slightly bigger strap lug but here, this is the normal size, the one I use.
If someone wants the biggest one, let me know.

Once again, I make no promises as I cannot test it so order at you own risk. If they do not fit perfectly, I can make the necessary changes or share the original files but of course, you will have to pay the each print till you are satisfied (and once again, I'm not making any money out of this).

The rainguard is brilliant, I ordered two as not only does it fit my Wife’s Curio’s but fit my Leica Trinovid 8x20 bca binoculars perfectly too. Many thanks!

This is an excellent design and idea! I'd love to print it myself, if possible? (just ordered the Curio)

Are those objective lens covers included or printed?
I've recently printed better covers for my GPO Passion ED 8x42 using this design (Binocular Lens Cap 54mm OD by danielbeaver) and scaled down to 96.5 %. Works really well. This design scaled nicely for smaller binoculars as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3841 2.jpeg
    IMG_3841 2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
I'd love to print it myself, if possible? (just ordered the Curio)
If you have a 3d printer, of course. If not, you can order from an online 3D printing service like I do with Sculpteo: expansive but very good.
Or try to find some shop/club with a 3d printer near your home and people to help your.
Are those objective lens covers included or printed?
Printed.

You can download the OpenScad file here:

And the STL file if you do not like OpenScad:

Here is the STL file of the lens cover:

And a very bad OpenScad file as it is an export from blockscad3d.com, the site I used to before switching to the real OpenScad:

Last edited:
Here's an update after getting my hands on the Curio itself. Fits perfectly and holds on with just the right tension for quick access. This is a good upgrade for the Curio. Makes it much quicker to use when out in the forest as you don't need to spread them first.

I'm glad to print one for those who live close to Finland and don't have access to a 3D printer.

Attachments

• IMG_3903.jpeg
    IMG_3903.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3902.jpeg
    IMG_3902.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
Thanks @pm42. I printed at Sculpteo and it works perfectly.

I actually printed 2 due to the minimum order charge, so if anyone in the UK would like the other one (unused), I'll post to the UK for £22 including postage (paid by PayPal with the friends and family option). Hopefully I'm not violating any forum rules offering this (and sorry if I am). I can probably post in to mainland Europe for maybe £25. Either way, please message me if you're interested.

Thanks @pm42. I printed at Sculpteo and it works perfectly.

I actually printed 2 due to the minimum order charge, so if anyone in the UK would like the other one (unused), I'll post to the UK for £22 including postage (paid by PayPal with the friends and family option). Hopefully I'm not violating any forum rules offering this (and sorry if I am). I can probably post in to mainland Europe for maybe £25. Either way, please message me if you're interested.
That’s now sold.

Hi,
Someone here noticed a while ago that the rainguard for the CL Curio are not convenient to use the fit the binoculars only when they are folded.
So I designed what I think is a better version.
You can see the pictures.

You can order it here 'Rainguard CL Curio wide tab' | 3D Printing | Sculpteo by choosing "Multijet fusion" as a process, "TPU" as a material and "Chemical smoothing" as the print option. I do not make any money out of it, sculteo is just the 3D printing provider I use.

If some wants to tune the design, let me know and I'll upload the OpenSCAD file.

P.S: thanks to w220 for being a beta-tester.
Greetings,
I'm a new member from Canada. I have read the posts on a better rain guard for the Curio and just received mine from Sculpteo. It's perfect. Thanks for making the design accessible.
BTW, I have an extra one if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back