• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bienvenue 'chez Nick' (4 Viewers)

While I'm (supposed to be) getting ready for work, I thought I'd just pop in with a sketch from yesterday's 'disappointing' day. The American Golden Plover that had spent 5 days just over the border in Burgundy finally heard that I was coming to see it and promptly (expletive verb in preterite here) off. There is going to be a painting of the day, and a big one, got to fit as many lapwings and snipes into it as possible, one or two starlings, a skylark and some ruff. here is a ruff. I'm feeling ruff this morning, knackered.

Also a photo from the day, a peregrine and roe deer

Attachments

• plover dip 014.jpg
    plover dip 014.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 43
  • plover dip 001.jpg
    plover dip 001.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 47
why did I put bird feeders out? I can't take my eyes off the window and now I have another woodpecker painting to do. (just a great spot)

Just starting to get back to normality after a fantastic weekend where I had a stand at the Salamandre Festival in Switzerland, lovely to be able to paint in front of the visitors and meet some brilliant artists. Of course, I had to stop along the way to do a bit of birding, which meant Zippy had to take a whole exhibition up a mountain in first gear, but hey ho.

The highlight had to be meeting with a female capercaillie in the forest, as I was walking along the path, I turned a corner to find her immobile staring at me, I did a sketch, then decided to reach for the camera - that's when she flew, the male, that I hadn't seen, followed from deep cover a minute later and nearly made me jump out of my skin. Great birds.

Attachments

• sketchessalamandre 001.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 001.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 37
  • sketchessalamandre 002.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 002.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 37
  • sketchessalamandre 003.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 003.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 30
  • sketchessalamandre 005.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 005.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 34
  • sketchessalamandre 007.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 007.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 32
Walltoaster season is upon us again! Plenty of sightings as they flew from crack to crack, not many seen on the cliffs themselves, but one did fly up to snatch a butterfly out of the air.

Attachments

• sketchessalamandre 006.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 006.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 30
  • sketchessalamandre 008.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 008.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 33
  • sketchessalamandre 010.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 010.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 25
  • sketchessalamandre 011.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 011.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 24
  • sketchessalamandre 013.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 013.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 43
and the rest, including an encounter with Captain Excubitor, and a photo of my stand, while it was still reasonably tidy.

Attachments

• sketchessalamandre 009.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 009.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 35
  • sketchessalamandre 014.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 014.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 26
  • sketchessalamandre 015.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 015.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 33
  • sketchessalamandre 016.jpg
    sketchessalamandre 016.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 41
  • weekend festival salamandre 034mess.JPG
    weekend festival salamandre 034mess.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 47
Speaking of art that creates a physical sensation yours always does. It's always a combination of awe at the combination of skill and artistic inventiveness and the desire to head outside and try to get something similar in my own work. Always a reminder of just how much the world has to offer if imaginatively viewed and put down on paper or canvas. That second Capercaille is by far my favorite.

I hope your art show visitors realized what a wealth of art was on display for them!

Fantastic every last one of them youth :t: A shame the last thumbnail wasnt bigger when opened. I found myself with my nose touching the monitor trying to get better views of the artwork on show;)

Bloody Hell Nick some cracking stuff - very envious of the walltoasters....but surely either that was the World's smallest female caper or it's a ginormous goldcrest or is it a classic case of size illusion!!

Love the fleeing male caper, oh and that bittern...wish I could just throw something like that together.....

cheers, Andrew

why do we draw? well some of us do it just to show off and rub others' noses in it I FOUND A RUSTIC BUNTING ON MY LUNCH BREAK! (my first ever self found national rarity!) AND I found 8% volume beer for 55c a can with which to toast. Oh, and Tim, the waxwings have reached France, I'm checking EVERY berry bush within a 10km (all nice and metric) radius! Your monopoly on the species is over! lol

EDIT (yes, I'm drunk!)

Attachments

• rustic.jpg
    rustic.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Superb, son!!!! Rustics are brilliant birds - actually, ALL the buntings are, in my humble opinion, and this is a wonderful lively and true to the bird piece of fieldwork. More than just a bit envious, more than a bit. . . . . Also well done on the 8% beer and attaining inebriation waaaaaay before me today :) - and don't forget to put half a ton (tonne) of cut apples out on the lawn tomorrow. They can smell them from 50 km!!!! (saw a few myself today, too)

Did you not get a crappy photo!...high quality field sketches will get you nowhere these days!! :)

I too have neighbours and have stuck apples on my trees without comment.....but then again I live in the Outer Hebrides. So far only encouraged one 'stayer' waxy and a blackcap.

cheers, Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back