• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Brother of my Kowa TSN-99a (1 Viewer)

@countryman george: That will be for you to decide. I have never regretted investing that money. I had the 883 before I bought the 99a and have never been disappointed.
Concerning astronomy, I think magnification is not as important as I thought before I started. Most nights you will find me working with magnifications between 40x and 100x even if my 3.5mm eyepiece will provide about 286x.
Will consider definitely consider it in the far future thanks, one more question, isthe kowa 99a sharper than the 883? Or there isn't a difference other than brightness and magnification.

I don't think the 99a is sharper than the 883. There have been numerous discussions here and in the net which of the two scopes is sharper or "better". My decision for the 99as was mainly based on the fact that it lets in more light. Before buying it, I compared the 99a thoroughly to the 883. Especially together with the new TE-80 eyepiece the 99a was very convincing in my test.

@paperweight , you can make your life easier finding things in the sky, when using the kowa for astro, if you mount a 3d printed dot finder holder ring on the Kowa. You can find online the 3d plans and ordering them at a printer service is cheap. Also dot finders are not expensive, so it may be worth it.
Myself, I found two versions of such ring:
One placed behind the dew shield, the other between the scope and the eyepiece.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back