• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bigger than a Blackbird, smaller than a Wood Pigeon (1 Viewer)

Yelvertoft

Rabbit Fan
Hello,

I've just seen this bird (attached photos) in my local "patch" in North Essex. It's a mix of grass, heath and broad leaved woods. Looking through the scope there was quite a distinct black stripe running through the eye which doesn't come out so strongly in the photos. The long pointed beak and distinct white patch on the throat together with the overall size and long(ish) legs don't seem to fit with any description I can find.

As the title says, it was somewhere between blackbird and wood pigeon sized. I can't find anything like it in my books. Can you help identify please?

:h?:

Sorry for the blurred photos, it was quite a long way away.

Regards,

Duncan.

Attachments

• cropped Dsc01910.jpg
    cropped Dsc01910.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 259
  • cropped Dsc01914.jpg
    cropped Dsc01914.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 247
  • Cropped Dsc01917.jpg
    Cropped Dsc01917.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 233
blythkeith said:
Duncan, you'll probably find that its in the company of many other young starlings - usually with adults around as well.

Hmm,

Whilst it's true that there were a couple of other adult starlings nearby, I could have sworn that this bird was distinctly bigger than them.

Thanks for the guidance, I've checked the books and have to agree that it does seem to fit the markings but it really must be an exceptionally well fed juvenille. It was a good inch or two bigger than the two adults that were in the next tree along.

Duncan.

Last edited:
blythkeith said:
The juveniles do look bigger than the adults sometimes - I was just thinking that myself yesterday.

Ta Keith,

I've just edited my reply above.

I've just noticed that this is my 100th post. I'm amazed how these things tick along. Thanks to everybody who has helped me become a fledgling birder. I've come here from a photography perspective and ended up being quite a bird fan.

Regards,

Duncan.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back