• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Oddie Tonight 8pm BBC2 (1 Viewer)

Well, having read all of these comments I was rather dreading watching it on i-player, but do you know what? - taken as a whole I found it rather good. Of course, Bill Oddie's silliness was a bit OTT at times, his antics a bit intrusive and the silly cartoonish interludes irritating to a degree BUT the thing with Bill Oddies is that, unlike some wildlife presenters he has a another gear. The footage of waders was terrific and the bit about sandhoppers good too. At least have a high profile birder like Bill Oddie gives the hobby some sort of profile. And without him who else is there> Some folks just don't know when they're well off!

John

At the end of the day what would you prefer was shown on tv BIG BROTHER, ANT AND DEC, X FACTOR, THE JADE GOODY SHOW, POSH AND BECKS IN LA? or what about "The end of the world will soon be here but don't pannic as Gordon Brown will save us all" or "how to stop yourself being a victim of Happy Slapping" the point of Bills and JK type of wildlife/birding programmes (and dare i say Alan Titchmarsh?) is entertainment! which harms no'one and if it helps to protect wildlife then i'm all for it!
Instead of knocking the likes of Bill and Johnny (and Alan) why not get off the soap boxes and contact the Programme producers and tell them what we want, you never know they may listen (we contacted JK's managment and asked them to send JK up here to Scotland we enclosed lots of info about where he film etc and they listened hence reason for his Scottish visit)
Regarding the Bill Oddie programme i too didn't like the silly comedy bits but they are trying to reach a wider audience and unfortunatly that includes families with children hence the funny voices etc, if the parents can drag their kids away from shooting computer games etc and get them watching wildlife that can only be a good thing?
Cheers
Brian
Ps I don't have any kids myself but having been one once, i remember how good it was to spot an Otter in the wild and after that i was hooked lets hope some of the young uns do the same?

Good grief!....

Nice of you to say Dryocopus :-O:-O

I guess it depends on the audience the programme is aimed at. If it;s the hardened birder I guess it will get up your nose but if it's a clever ploy to try and get the public into birding it shows that we aren't all sad gits in anoraks and woolly hats .... hmm, must change the woolly hat and anorak for something with a bit more street cred 3:)

PS I haven't seen the prog so can't really comment on content

i dont think that remark is very fair to the iraqi nation

Yep sorry they have suffered enough;) why not rename the Spice Girls "The Axis of Evil" then maybe Mr Bush will send them a cruise (or did i mean on a cruise)
and as for sending them to mars? Posh would fit in with them as she looks like the creature at Roswell:eek!:
Just stumbled on Mrs Claymore watching some lookalikes on TV I'm sure they had Tommy Walsh doing Frank Sinatra? and Elton John is now 6'4":eek!:
Strange world we live in

Just stumbled on Mrs Claymore watching some lookalikes on TV I'm sure they had Tommy Walsh doing Frank Sinatra? and Elton John is now 6'4":eek!:
Strange world we live in

i started to watch this for reasons unknown- it didnt stay on long- total drivel. at least i was spared a crappy elvis lookalike

Has anyone here ever had, or even seen, a real aspidistra? Always loved the name.

You will almost defiantly have seen one Dan. The very reason Orwell used it in the title was as a ubiquitous symbol of drab middle class taste. Like "mother in laws tongue" it was a Victorian favorite that was still popular with old ladies right up to the 70s.

Wasn't there a World War II song about aspidistras? Or have I imagined it?

Wasn't that a song called ''The Biggest Aspidistra In The World''? :-O

Yes...just checked and it was....in 1938 :-O

http://ingeb.org/songs/foryears.html

I used to have one years ago - fabulous plant it was and pretty big too :t: I would have probably still had it now if some ******* scum hadn't broken into my flat and trashed it into a million bits!!! :C

Yes,dear old Gracie Fields sang the "The Biggest Aspidistra in The World",a Yorkshire lass,voice of gravel,heart of gold.

Well, having read all of these comments I was rather dreading watching it on i-player, but do you know what? - taken as a whole I found it rather good. Of course, Bill Oddie's silliness was a bit OTT at times, his antics a bit intrusive and the silly cartoonish interludes irritating to a degree BUT the thing with Bill Oddies is that, unlike some wildlife presenters he has a another gear. The footage of waders was terrific and the bit about sandhoppers good too. At least have a high profile birder like Bill Oddie gives the hobby some sort of profile. And without him who else is there> Some folks just don't know when they're well off!

This one pretty much sums up my opinion. I wonder if a lot of the more cringe-inducing moments are instigated by the BBC rather than Bill himself in their attempts to make the programme more appealing to the masses.

I am sure he decorated that garden himself, which well... how can I put this? With all those gnomes it's like a portrait gallery of self-admiration. It really put me off watching again. I felt the spider footage was far below par (a torch for lighting!) and the animated bits were just horrible.
The Knots were fantastic, although cut a bit too quickly (they were the main reason why I kept on watching).
It's blatantly obvious the BBC didn't want to spend any money... and thinks most of its viewers are braindead.

This one pretty much sums up my opinion. I wonder if a lot of the more cringe-inducing moments are instigated by the BBC rather than Bill himself in their attempts to make the programme more appealing to the masses.

Probably. The licence fee goes up and the programme quality goes down. The BBC is often accused of dumbing down and with good reason (EastEnders, Come Dancing, anyone?).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back