• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular color differences (1 Viewer)

casscade

Though I’d post a few pics of how different binoculars have different tones or color palates, top 3 taken at the same time, and bottom pics taken at the same time.

2008 Zeiss fl 10x42
1683996093897.jpeg
Zeiss 7x45 night owl
1683996130433.png
1683996180794.png

2011 zeiss 10x42 fl
1683996307655.jpeg
2008 Zeiss fl 10x42
1683996348456.jpeg
Zeiss 7x45 NO
1683996395459.jpeg

The Leica’s also very from year to year with the same models, I haven’t taken any pics yet. Theses aren’t great pics but are consistent with the color tones I see. The swaro el 50’s and NL’s are cooler than all the above but keep great contrast and color.

Nice. Presumably these shots were taken with smart features like AWB off? (Can one even do that on a cell phone?) The contrast/saturation is surprisingly higher on the 2011 FL compared to the 2008; is the difference in coatings visible looking at the lenses? And the Night Owl has a remarkably small sweet spot.

Yes, the 11 fl is better on the color and looks more vibrant, it’s definitely noticeable when comparing them back to back. The NO’s have a very similar view to the 11 fl’s while the 08 fl’s are much cooler. This is definitely not anywhere close to good pics but you can get an idea of the difference in color. I think the small sweet spot was mainly just bad camera position on the NO’s with the winged eyecups, it’s better in person and it’s a bit better the the 7x42 fl’s. The 10’s are imo the best of the lot with the largest sweet spot, they remind me more of the new slc’s.

I’ve noticed some pretty drastic color variations in most binoculars from the top makers. It’s almost blind randomness, the HT’s we used had a very cool whiteish view where the sf’s were noticeably warmer, more akin the the 11 FL’s.

The el’s, 2019 and 2020 models, had a view that almost looks skewed, like an add on, it’s super vivid, more than the others we tried by a good margin, they also had a more perceived brightness while keeping extreme contrast and color. Your initial impression is there better, I think it’s the combination of color, sharp edges, and a better dof. All that combined gives an immediate reaction to inexperienced users.

The new Leica hd plus and el both had a purplish blue like tinge, it’s hard to explain without seeing it and using over multiple settings while comparing to others at the same time. It’s almost like setting your tv to max settings on vivid mode, max color, max contrast, and high brightness, it looks great but it’s not necessarily a natural view.

I’ve noticed some pretty drastic color variations in most binoculars from the top makers.
Significant coating changes have been mentioned here in later FLs and E IIs, for example, whereas I had previously supposed each maker had a characteristic look in mind. (There are also noticeable differences between some models like 42 vs 56mm SLCs.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back