• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular for scanning the bay (1 Viewer)

Super Dave

Aloha,

I live on Kaneohe Bay (across from the Marine Base) on Oahu and would like to get a new pair of binos for checking out the action on the bay from my lanai.

I thought my 1993 Nikon 10x25 Mountaineer's were great until I purchased a pair of cheap West Marine 7x32 binos for sailing. I like the West Marine's much better for the brighter picture and wide field of view. I was surprised that the 7 x power is plenty strong.

I'm trying to learn about the technical aspects but...I'm a total novice...so here's about all I can offer for guidance:

Cost: Few hundred dollars or less. Less is better since I have the feeling this is a new interest and I'm in the trial and error stage.
New or Used: I'm definitely open to older binos...sounds like you can get some really nice stuff for reasonable prices.
Waterproof or not: Waterproof is nice but not a deal breaker due to a covered lanai. There is a little salt in the air but it's not too bad. These will be strictly for the house.
Size: doesn't really matter since they will be used for short periods of time and won't hang on my neck.
Wide View: Wide view seems like a plus
Power: 7 or 8 should do it. I have a spotting scope if I need to zoom in.

Attached is the view. The Marine Base is on the left side of the first photo. The person paddling is my 80 year old neighbor...he's a stud. Can you find the ducks in the first photo? Ducks have it pretty easy in Hawaii. The second photo is looking towards Kailua.

Thank you very much,
Dave

Attachments

• MorningPaddle.JPG
    MorningPaddle.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 105
  • MoonRise.JPG
    MoonRise.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I could try to give you the best for about 200--- The new thing in binoculars is the special ED glass that helps the colors to all focus at the same point in your eye. Here are a couple

bushnell-10x36-ap-legend-ultra-hd-binocular
for 219 and that includes shipping.
Pro Optic 10 x 42 Birding Series Water Proof
for 230 including shipping.
Kruger Optical; Columbia branded malheur binocular-10x32
for 220 including shipping.

I have a Bushnell Ultra 10x42 that works very well. I also have a 2nd level branded Chinese Promaster 8x42 ED that is great in my easily moved opinion. I have not gone to the expensive binoculars yet, but I am getting a clue why they are that good.
Birdforum talked about the Coloumbia Malhuer a bit when they came out. They write good ad copy with the "Florite Objective glass" that wows alot of us. I wish somebody would report on them. I have bought things from both of these vendors and I trust them. (Adorama Camera and Optics Planet)

Is any of this interesting?
Rob.

All of these can give enjoyment for the lively colors and very decent performers.

I realize that you said that powers of 7 or 8 would be what you want.... If you look to the near countryside, the near beach, the beachside cliff, the ravine would all be better in 8x. It is true that the best birding binoculars are usually about 8 power. All but the Columbia Malheur have an 8 power choice that I did not link to. The Optics Planet vendor does have a good selection of Kruger Optical binoculars that are not ED. Most of them are cheaper than I listed.

Your photos made me think that 10x would be a better fit. I see a view that goes beyond 50 to 75 feet. In dessert country, like where my brother in New Mexico, there are few blocking trees. Wildlife is a bit more spread out. I think that 10x is good for him.... They can be jumpy. You may not like the necessary work to keep them still.

Right now Eagle Optics is has some "Hot Deals".
http://www.eagleoptics.com/products/hot-deals
Some are wonderfully affordable and some are pricey.
That Vendor has a wonderful selection. Check out the Eagle Optics brand and the Atlas Optics brand lineup. They are good for the price. We here at the Birdforum have noticed that Eagle Optics has put some of their Vortex Brand on sale (which you see in the Hot Deals)

Thank you Rob,

It's all interesting. My eyes and brain are tired from it all...and I'm in a state of confusion.

I've owned the 10x25 Nikon's since 1993. No problem with the shakes. It just that the 7x32 seemed to offer enough power and the wider view really impressed me.

My problem is I really don't know what I would like. Are there any other guys on this forum on Oahu? It would help to be able to see some of the different formats in action.

I've sent a couple of emails to the vintage collectors to see what they would suggest. As of this moment the super wides have my attention. But, I'm sure that will change tomorrow.

I really need some time to learn a little more. I appreciate your suggestions.

Aloha,
Dave

Dave, Well with Rob bringing up about the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. The 8 and 10 full size models are some what higher price. Bushnell has advertised that if you don't like these they will buy it back. Also some vendors give you 30 days to try, but expect the item in excellent/new shape when they get it back, I can understand this. The 8x42 Ultra HD has too much ER for some people w/o wearing glasses and the 10x42 seems ok that way. Here is a link with a review from someone on here.
BTW I have no ties to EO or Bushnell.;-)
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...a-hd-8x42-binocular?tab=customer_reviews#tabs

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-legend-ultra-hd-10x42-binocular

Last edited:
I agree - the nikon Extreme Action porro prisms are the way to go. 8x40 would be a starting point but you might try bumping the magnification to see how steady the view is.

Thank you guys. The Nikon sounds great. It really sounds perfect.

But, I'm losing it. On an impulse I just pulled the trigger on this one:
MINOLTA MK 10X50 EXTRA WIDE
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190458992809

Are these decent, good, bad?

I still want an 8 power wide view that the kids can drop, knock over, handle salt air, etc. The Nikon or some military model would probably be best. Who knows, maybe this Minolta will fix me up and I'll move on to other things...

I appreciate the input even though I didn't listen.

Dave

Minolta made good optics, both cameras as well as binoculars.
This model has unusually wide field for a 10x glass. The tradeoff is usually reduced eye relief.
Unlike Zeiss, Minolta did not sell B model binocs designed for glasses wearers.

I still want an 8 power wide view that the kids can drop, knock over, handle salt air, etc. The Nikon or some military model would probably be best. Who knows, maybe this Minolta will fix me up and I'll move on to other things...

Dave

The 8x40 Action Extremes have a nice wide view.

Super Dave

While the Nikon Actions are good binocs, I have sold my 7x35's and am in the process of getting rid of my 10x50's due to stray light problems. I replaced my Nikon 7x35's with a pair of Olympus Troopers for $40 and they are a MUCH better binoc. Outstanding resolution and clarity, an enormous sweetspot, and the best part is that the stray light and color fringing problems are non existant in the Troopers, which is pretty amazing in a binoc in this price range.

Tom

Dave

I have one and it is old, goes back to the early 1980's. As Etudiant said it has very short eye relief. Nice wide FOV though and is solidly built. In that condition at that price it is a good buy. Decent binocular but there are better ones with more modern coatings available now at good prices.

Bob

Last edited:
I have never tried that exact binoculars. That is a Porro in shape, and in the prisms. Those are cheaper to make than the straight through (roof) kinds. The point is that they
provide better views for less cost. I hope you enjoy them!
Please tell us how you find the views--- Are colors nice? Do you see some glare occasionally? --maybe not. How does that wide view seem?
I wish you well,
Rob.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad the Minolta isn't a lemon.

I'm definately going nuts like a newbie. I ordered a Yosemite 6x30 / Trooper in 7x35 / Nikon Action 8x40.

Once those come in I'll be able to evaluate the 6, 7, 8, 10 powers with fairly wide views and see what format I like best.

Take care,
Dave

Last edited:
I wanted to post a follow up.

The three I ended up with are:
Yosemite 6x30
Nikon SE 8x32
Nikon SE 10x42

All three are fantastic but the 10 power is my favorite due to the 2+ mile views. I like everything about the Nikons.

The Minolta was pretty bad and a waste of money. It must have been out of alignment.

Thanks for the great forum.
Dave

Last edited:
I also have those three sets of bin's. With the added exception of a Zen Ray 8x43 ED and a set of Russian BPO's. All are outstanding values where money to performance is concerned. I think once I can afford a set of 12x50 SE's My bin foraging days will be over. They're THAT good.
With added improbable possibility of having enough money, someday, for those Leica Geovid HD,s in 8x42.
Well maybe another set of Fujinon's............ Oh and a set of Vortex Kabaibs for on the lake. Of course the need for really good low light performance requires a 7x50 or 8x56 set............ etc, etc...
Enjoy the SE's they really are something Special..

Great choice Dave, I have had all of those. I still have the Yosemite. Were you able to adapt to the too long ER on the Yosemite?

Thanks guys. Steve, your techniques helps on the Yosemites but the black out still occur if I'm not paying attention. They are not seeing much action since the SE's arrived. I'm keeping the Yosemites for the kids when they get a little older.

The only other bino I'd really like to try is the Canon 15x50 IS. Unless I find a super deal I'm going to have to wait a few months to swing that.

Take care,
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back