• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular ramblings (1 Viewer)

Sout Fork said:
Why are there so few 7x in any size?

I would buy a high quality 7x28 in a heartbeat if there was such a thing.
And why not a 7x32? It seems so logical to me.

SF

I could not agree more. Some of us old guys remember when 7 x 35 porros (mostly B & L Zephyrs and imitators) were the gold standard for birding binoculars in the U.S., and for good reason.

Tvc15_2000 said:
The quality of the cerebellum the binoculars are connected to is far more important than the make or price of the binocular.

I suppose a good cerebellum is important for getting the most steady image and tracking birds in flight, but an awesome cerebellum still needs to be connected to a well functioning and trained cerebrum! I'd say it's the complete package (including good optics) that sets the limits of the capabilities and enjoyment of any birder. :)
--AP

I've been thinking. People come here and ask recommendations for this and that. And these days my recommendation is always Nikon Monarch 8x36. Maybe I should get one...

Tero said:
I've been thinking. People come here and ask recommendations for this and that. And these days my recommendation is always Nikon Monarch 8x36. Maybe I should get one...

Only if you really like them,haven't tried any monarchs yet myself.

Surprises me how much of a price difference there is between the 8x36 and 8x42 model?,in the uk the 36's can be had for £199 while the 8x42 model is £339..too late and too much wine to work out what that is in dollers?

Matt

I have the 10x42, and have looked at 10x36 (did not like, dim) and a few others but not all at the same time. I think the 8x36 is a compromise. They did not want to make a 8x32 and the 8x36 and 10x36 share parts. If I had the two side by side, I might go 8x42 instead of 8x36.

I think you should. It should provide an interesting comparison to the EO 8x32 you currently have. My only "complaint" with the Monarch 8x36 is that the tension in the focus is much to fast for my current tastes. If it was just a bit stiffer I could live with it.

I was out today briefly with my oneDIMHOLE pair, no, not the Eagle Optics one. I discovered that this cheap 8x32 was actually pretty good with my regular glasses on (bifocals). Threre were three Bald Eagles on the river close to downtown. Also diving goldeneyes. Did not see if there were any Barrows amongst them, but, hey these are just 8x. ;)

Have not discovered which 8x32 is the best overall, as the EO is a tiny bit sharper in the middle, but the other pair has a smaller area of edge softness.

Came across an ad or two for 9x20 Pentax
http://www.binoware.com/show_bino.php?47096720
http://www.shop.com/op/~Pentax_9x20_DCF_Binoculars_USA_-prod-27530800
just curious, is this some old model no longer made?
Lists for 50 buck at another site
http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?refid=57&sku=PEN920DCF

If it had a decent fov I might be interested. Ah, found info
Multicoated UV eliminating optics.
# Focus from just 8.2'.
# With case, strap.
# Field of view @ 1000 yds: 325'.
# Exit pupil: 2.2mm.
# Eye relief: 10mm.
# Relative brightness: 4.9.
# Size: 3.6 x 4.2".
# Weighs 7.4oz (210g).

OK, so not phase coated. It is not worth more than $60 to me, even with super lenses.

Well...maybe. It sounded cool to me. I have seen and used 8x20s, and tossed them aside. But if you did it right....all you would lose is eye relief.

If you invested enough in the optical design you would not have to give up eye relief either. We'll get Nagler on it, though they'd probably come out quite heavy...

These small binoculars of various formats are mostly curiosities for me, though I like to have a pair of pocket binoculars in my coat at all times. As you know, I prefer up to 42mm lenses. Many 36mm and 32mm are fine. The 9x I have found that are useable are both 9x25. But I really would like to see someone attempt to make a decent 9x32. The fov of a 10x32 is generally smallish, often no different than a 10x42. In that case I will take a 42. But with a 9x32, you would have a chance to make a fov of some 350ft or more. Nobody has offered one yet. My reverse porro 9x25s are about 290ft.

I have tested my two 9x25s, ProStaff and Travelite. Strangely I have come to think that the cheaper Travelite, a very light piece when traveling, is a tiny bit sharepr. But it has quite a bit of glare when looking toward the sun at all.

Most often in use: 8x25 roofs, Minolta. Cheap but pretty good overall.

Bird ID is a difficult test for binocular comparison. I settled on my SHAMPOO BOTTLE test. It is in good light in a bath room some 30 ft away. The smallest print on the front was the test, "doctor tested, medicated" etc.

10x42 Monarch did well
10x new bin, yet to be announced here, did very similarly
next best was, ta daa, EagleOptics SRT 8x32
very bright and sharp in middle, soft toward edges
Nikon Travelite 9x25 not as bright, but passed test well
Nikon Action 8x40 did well, very bright, not as relaxed as EO bin above
with some trouble Nikon Sporter 10x36 also allowed me to read the text, a little dimmer now
Bushnell 10x40 roof prism Wal Mart special, struggled..I could just read the text but by now I had memorized it as well..should have tried the worst pair first

There was some discussion of ergonomics in another topic. I was thinking that it almost never bothers me where my hands are. Roofs are different from porros, that is about it. Eye cups are way more important to me than where my hands are. My hands can MOVE! The focus knob needs to be in the normal place: In front.

Will do a couple days of backpacking. Weighed a few items: Bird book 480g, binocular 370g, Nikon Travelite series, ProStaff 9x25. Taking it because it is waterproof. I have some lighter ones, but not waterproof.

The book may stay at the car, we will see.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back