• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars confiscated by Egyptian authorities at airport (1 Viewer)

rkj

I ran into a friend today who was just back from a birding trip to the Middle East. She was most upset that upon her arrival in Egypt authorities at the airport confiscated her binoculars claiming they had military applications. They then suggested she could buy new ones in town. Apparently a camera with any size lens was OK. I have never been to Egypt and not done any international birding in years. Is this sort of thing common? Where else does it happen? What do you do if you want to go birding in such a place?

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like the customsperson just wanted some bins and your mate didn't complain enough.
A similar thing happened to me yonks ago in Hanoi, when I was called to the customs officials who informed me the mini Swiss army knife in my dopp kit in my checked luggage was illegal and was being impounded. Having business appointments in Saigon (HCMC) the next day and not wanting to taste prison food in a stone-age communist country, instead of complaining I just smiled and told him he could keep it.

Last edited:
authorities at the airport confiscated her binoculars claiming they had military applications
What model was that binocular? (Or what models?)

Some countries (USA, ...) have laws controlling the export of some binoculars, including ones having military grade parts.
Maybe the import is regulated also, depending on the country.
I imagine the binocular was returned when departing.

Last edited:
I ran into a friend today who was just back from a birding trip to the Middle East. She was most upset that upon her arrival in Egypt authorities at the airport confiscated her binoculars claiming they had military applications. They then suggested she could buy new ones in town. Apparently a camera with any size lens was OK. I have never been to Egypt and not done any international birding in years. Is this sort of thing common? Where else does it happen? What do you do if you want to go birding in such a place?
I had a similar experience when entering Tunisia a month ago. My binoculars were 'professional' ones and got confiscated. They were returned when I left the country a week later. This happened at Enfidha Hammamet Airport, the airport near Sousse. The countries in North Africa may have similar rules then (as Algeria also has such restrictions).

What does this mean exactly?
Good question! I think all brands that we use in birding will be considered professional (roof prism binoculars) whereas porro prism binoculars may be acceptable. But I did not ask why mine were considered such (as I considered it a compliment, trying to get something positive out of the circumstances).

I have heard of this confiscation of optical gear happening in Egypt before, plus in Jordan, Morocco and Tunisia. It is standard in Algeria.

It puts me off visiting any of the countries involved, and I wonder how tour companies who advertise birding trips to Egypt and Morocco (don't see any for Jordan and Tunisia) get round it. Apparently trips to look for Algerian/Kabylie Nuthatch use a couple of pairs of binoculars that the local guides provide.

Another thing that surprises me is that cameras and big lenses are allowed but bins and scopes can be confiscated.

This website - Why Are Binoculars Not Allowed in Egypt (Answered) - has a useful discussion of the situation although it's better still if it gave details of where you could buy them in Egypt. It's very strange that you seem to be banned from taking them into the country but permitted to buy them after yiu arrive!
Maybe the customs officials etc are involved in some kind of pyramid scheme??

There are plenty of warnings about not bringing binoculars into Saudi Arabia, including the UK FCO which states "Binoculars should not be brought into Saudi Arabia and may be confiscated at the port of entry." This does not seem to reflect reality, however and on a recent visit we had no problem with binoculars and telescopes. A resident expat birder confirmed that he had never had any problems.

Re:Morocco I believe such confiscations are extremely rare, so for practical purposes probably not worth worrying about. I have heard multiple cases from Egypt and Jordan though, although it doesn’t seem to be guaranteed to happen. In all cases gear seems to be returned on exit so it’s not a scam. For Algeria, the policy is clear which makes life easy
Cheers
James

In Egypt and in Jordan we were OK with compact Binoculars we were told not to bring our normal ones as they could be seized so I didn't risk them or a large camera/lens combo.

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like the customsperson just wanted some bins and your mate didn't complain enough.
No, this is a fairly common procedure in Egypt on supposed security grounds.
Also happens in Tunisia and Jordan.

I went to Egypt in October and specifically did not take any binoculars having read that this happened. However on arrival noone checked my bags at all! Birding using only my bridge camera was interesting but it was only a family holiday. However I did ask th
e TUI rep of anywhere to buy binoculars and they could not help so don't bank on finding somewhere to buy any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back