• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

binomen unchanged, but author in parentheses (1 Viewer)

kweetal

Netherlands
I'd like your opinion about this use of parentheses entries, in Peters' Checklist, like in this example from volume 1 (ed. 2):

Nycticorax magnificus (Ogilvie-Grant)
Nycticorax magnificus Ogilvie-Grant, 1899, Ibis, p. 586—
Five-finger Mountain, Hainan.

(see here: v.1:ed.2 (1979) - Check-list of birds of the world - Biodiversity Heritage Library )

My question is: do the parentheses have a meaning in such cases, where the genus does not change, or is it always an error on the part of the compiler? There are a few more entries like this.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd like your opinion about this use of parentheses entries, in Peters' Checklist, like in this example from volume 1 (ed2):

Nycticorax magnificus (Ogilvie-Grant)
Nycticorax magnificus Ogilvie-Grant, 1899, Ibis, p. 586—
Five-finger Mountain, Hainan.

(see here: v.1:ed.2 (1979) - Check-list of birds of the world - Biodiversity Heritage Library )

My question is: do the parentheses have a meaning in such cases, where the genus does not change, or is it always an error on the part of the compiler? There are a few more entries like this.

Thanks.
In my opinion, it's a typo

This is a double error it should be:

Nycticorax magnifica/us Ogilvie-Grant
Nycticorax magnifica Ogilvie-Grant, 1899, Ibis, p. 586"

NB: HBW is incorrect the Protonym is magnifica. Whether this should be corrected to magnificus is moot as the genus Oroanassa is feminine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back