• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Baths - Neighborhood Cats (1 Viewer)

Mandy

Newbie Birdwatcher
I've really wanted to put some bird baths out in our front yard for some time now, but I've been to afraid to. I'm afraid that some of the neighborhood cats would catch on and kill some of the birds. Granted I know that I can't be the bird saviour and the birds will always be at risk anyway, but does putting a bird bath in an open yard put them at more risk?? Do the birds normally have good instincts and are able to fly away before the cats get them??

I guess what I'm wondering here is what have your experiences with bird baths and neighborhood cats been?? Is it a good idea to put a bird bath out?? If I do decide to put one out, what can I do to help prevent the chances of cats getting them??

- Mandy

Hi Mandy,

I'd suggest you place the bird bath relatively close to some trees or shrubs. This way the birds can get to a safe place rather quickly if a cat shows up.

Mandy said:
I've really wanted to put some bird baths out in our front yard for some time now, but I've been to afraid to. I'm afraid that some of the neighborhood cats would catch on and kill some of the birds. Granted I know that I can't be the bird saviour and the birds will always be at risk anyway, but does putting a bird bath in an open yard put them at more risk?? Do the birds normally have good instincts and are able to fly away before the cats get them??

I guess what I'm wondering here is what have your experiences with bird baths and neighborhood cats been?? Is it a good idea to put a bird bath out?? If I do decide to put one out, what can I do to help prevent the chances of cats getting them??

Mandy

Joe A. said:
Hi Mandy,

I'd suggest you place the bird bath relatively close to some trees or shrubs. This way the birds can get to a safe place rather quickly if a cat shows up.
And see if you can raise it a couple or three foot off the ground , the bird then have the bath as a vantage point for spying out ground dwelling predators.

... but not too far amongst the bushes, where the cats can hide. Put the bath a bit in the open and thus give the birds a chance to see Tabby coming. They need a nearby branch to work their way down to the bath; escaping is straight up and away! I've had a birdbath for 4 years in my overgrown back yard, sitting only a foot above the ground, and the neighborhood cats do prowl through-- one even took to sitting in my yard chair to eye the birdbath, till I gave him what-for-- but they never to my knowledge have been fast enough to catch a bird.... and I've seen them try several times.

Thanks for the input!! So, if I get a bird bath that's a good 3-4 (possibly 5') tall and set it up about 2-3 feet from our Spruce tree, will that be good enough??

- Mandy

Mandy said:
Thanks for the input!! So, if I get a bird bath that's a good 3-4 (possibly 5') tall and set it up about 2-3 feet from our Spruce tree, will that be good enough??

- Mandy
Sounds OK.
But make sure its low enough so that you can see the birds bathing.

I have a bird bath that is about 2ft off the ground and fairly near a tree and some shrubs. The birds absolutely love it. Never had any real problems with cats, although there are plenty that prowl around the garden from time to time. In fact I have never seen any evidence of any kills in the garden. I think most of the cats round my way are too fat and dozey to be any real threat to the birds.

Thanks again!!

I noticed this weekend that we have a pair of Mourning Doves nesting in our spruce tree so I'll wait until the babies are gone before putting out a bird bath. I see no need to draw extra attention to our yard now.

In the meantime, I guess I'll shop around at the different bird baths that I can put out there. :)

- Mandy

Hi Mandy!
I think you may be overly cautious ... I guess in the great scheme of things, birds are attracted to water and cats are attracted to birds, etc. ... but I've got water all over my yard - several birdbaths, a rock spill fountain, small stone ground ponds, as well as a heated bb for the winter. My neighborhood's got a cat or two that skulk around, but to be honest, I don't see the cats checking out the goods at the water sources and never noticed an increase in cats because of the # of birds attracted. I don't like cats getting my birds - I'm sure over the years, they have, but I don't see water making it easier for them. I, however, prefer to put the water more out in the open than near brush. A cat can hide & sneak up on them if there is brush neaby - but birds are fast and very aware and will notice and scram from a cat trying to cross an open lawn to get at it. I say, go ahead and give your birdies water ... think of it as drinking water as well as bath water. BTW, my doves LOVE lining up on the rim and even sitting in the middle of the heated BB in the winter.

In case you didn't see it before, this is what they use to bath in in my yard. I have a regular birdbath but many prefer deeper waters.

Attachments

• starling.bmp
    766.6 KB · Views: 164
KooKoo said:
I, however, prefer to put the water more out in the open than near brush. A cat can hide & sneak up on them if there is brush neaby - but birds are fast and very aware and will notice and scram from a cat trying to cross an open lawn to get at it. I say, go ahead and give your birdies water ... think of it as drinking water as well as bath water.

I agree, I also think that a bath a few feet off the ground is much safer than a bird drinking from a puddle (especially the naive babies). But the safest would be, of course, to install one of Packerbacker's baths.

Norbert said:
I have a bird bath that is about 2ft off the ground and fairly near a tree and some shrubs. The birds absolutely love it. Never had any real problems with cats, although there are plenty that prowl around the garden from time to time. In fact I have never seen any evidence of any kills in the garden. I think most of the cats round my way are too fat and dozey to be any real threat to the birds.

Well isn't that ironic. After saying the birds outsmart the cats in my garden, today I have an injured Sparrow in the garden with some sort of damaged wing, hobbling around unable to fly. Could this be the cats first victim?

Any advice on what to do with this Sparrow? I can't see that there is anything I can do for it really.

Norbert said:
Well isn't that ironic. After saying the birds outsmart the cats in my garden, today I have an injured Sparrow in the garden with some sort of damaged wing, hobbling around unable to fly. Could this be the cats first victim?

Any advice on what to do with this Sparrow? I can't see that there is anything I can do for it really.

I had an injured Sparrow last year. Her left wing was bent, and sticking up, and she couldn't fly at all. Since no rehab or vet would take an injured House Sparrow, I just tried to make her as comfortable as possible. She lived in my back hedge along my fence, so I put out a platfrom feeder on the fence, and water under the hedge. She would hop up to the fence to feed, and down the hedge to the water. When I went out to replenish supplies, she would just 'freeze' - not even moving an eyeball. Eventually, she became used to me and would hop closer, especially for cracked corn.

After 2 months, I saw her fly (with great effort) from the ground to the top of the fence - about 5 feet. A month later, she was able to fly up to the trees and join the rest of them. I could still pick her out from the the flock, as her wing never healed completey, and I hope she lived happily ever after.

Good luck, and let us know what happens to your Sparrow.

VT said:
I had an injured Sparrow last year. Her left wing was bent, and sticking up, and she couldn't fly at all. Since no rehab or vet would take an injured House Sparrow, I just tried to make her as comfortable as possible. She lived in my back hedge along my fence, so I put out a platfrom feeder on the fence, and water under the hedge. She would hop up to the fence to feed, and down the hedge to the water. When I went out to replenish supplies, she would just 'freeze' - not even moving an eyeball. Eventually, she became used to me and would hop closer, especially for cracked corn.

After 2 months, I saw her fly (with great effort) from the ground to the top of the fence - about 5 feet. A month later, she was able to fly up to the trees and join the rest of them. I could still pick her out from the the flock, as her wing never healed completey, and I hope she lived happily ever after.

Good luck, and let us know what happens to your Sparrow.

Well done VT! So maybe there is hope after all. My casualty seems to have disappeared now. No idea where it went, although I'm pretty sure it couldn't have flown anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back