• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird following sighter for camera (1 Viewer)

AndyF8

Canada
I've had problems following birds or jets at airshows with a long zoom lens - if the bird or plane gets out of view then it takes too long to zoom wider, find it again, and zoom closer.

The solution is a tracker sight for the hotshoe that lets you see most of the sky. There are other designs such as the more expensive red-dot trackers but I designed a simple 3D printed one that is working fairly well for me (note that I was originally following whales, not birds!), and I'd like to offer it to other photographers. The tracker is 3D printed by Shapeways and can be seen at the following link.

DSLR Camera Hotshoe-mounted target tracker by _Andy_ on Shapeways

It fits into the hotshoe, you sight through two concentric rings, and can also see the surrounding sky to see where the bird might be going / has gone, or what is happening around it.

Now I have to go and read more of the articles and forums in this site...
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back