• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird friendly preservative (1 Viewer)

deansmith

i decided to make some nest boxes for the garden as last year was good for birds nesting but the instructions i got from 3- 4 websites for making them all said non treated wood

i was wondering if there is a bird friendly product i could use as my nest boxes wont last more than a year as there made from off cuts and old bits of wood lying around so are already quite weathered

thanks in advance

DS

Hi

I did a bit of research for you, and found that a bird safe product was 'sadolin classic'. Try googling it.

I found prices at approx. £10 for a litre.

MattSharps

I've maintained nestboxes for twenty years and have noted that the roof deteriorates far more rapidly than other components.
I generally apply a piece of asphalt roofing material in a light color to nest box roofs.
I've also used various wood sealers applied long before the boxes are installed.I'm not sure what products are available in U.K.
I agree that treated woods should never be used.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back