• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Guide in Chapultepec/CDMX? (1 Viewer)

MMcD

United States
Does anyone know of a knowledgeable birder who leads outings in Chapultepec or Mexico City more broadly?

I am headed to Mexico City in a couple months for a very short visit in a group of non-birders. Given the dynamics of the trip, I think my best chance to do some proper birding is to hire a guide for one morning and reunite with my group in the afternoon. I will not have a rental car, but will be staying fairly close to Chapultepec Park.

I’ve done a little poking around, but most of the advertised tours are (understandably) to more exciting locales outside the city. Does anyone on here know of someone who guides within the city?

I figured I’d try here before digging through the top birders list on eBird.

Does anyone know of a knowledgeable birder who leads outings in Chapultepec or Mexico City more broadly?

I am headed to Mexico City in a couple months for a very short visit in a group of non-birders. Given the dynamics of the trip, I think my best chance to do some proper birding is to hire a guide for one morning and reunite with my group in the afternoon. I will not have a rental car, but will be staying fairly close to Chapultepec Park.

I’ve done a little poking around, but most of the advertised tours are (understandably) to more exciting locales outside the city. Does anyone on here know of someone who guides within the city?

I figured I’d try here before digging through the top birders list on eBird.
Try Miguel for commercial guide

Also look at opus Mexico city pages. To be honest you can see lots by yourself

Try Miguel for commercial guide

Also look at opus Mexico city pages. To be honest you can see lots by yourself
Thanks! I’ll check him out. I was looking at the opus, and saw a lot of good info, but must have missed info about guides if it is there.

Yeah, left to my own devices, I’d happily tool around by myself and explore. I had a few solo days in Lisbon last summer and had a splendid time riding transit around to random municipal parks recommended by folks on here.

That said, I’m looking at the social dynamic of the group I’m in and feel pretty confident that “I’m going to do this official outing that you are not interested in and will be back around lunch time” will go down with much less fuss than “I’m going to wake very early and wander off alone into the city to ignore you friends that I’ve flown thousands of miles to hang out with… and no, I don’t want you to come” 😅

I’ll be shoe-horning birding into every activity I can, but I figured one solid outing would make me much less of a nuisance to the non-birding folks of my group.

Thanks! I’ll check him out. I was looking at the opus, and saw a lot of good info, but must have missed info about guides if it is there.
No info about guides there as those details change and I'm not sure we'd want to "advertise".

@MMcD

I did two incredible full day guided birding tours in CDMX, one in spring and fall. Both vacations to CDMX were city-focused and with friends so I was looking for just what you describe- full or half day trips doable from the city. I also stayed near Chapultapec park and didn't rent a car.

I initially had trouble locating a guide for a CDMX-area excursion, then was lucky to be put in touch with Manuel Grosselet Login • Instagram . He's an ornithologist with many published articles and avid birder. He seems to work with this company ( Worldwide Quest - Manuel Grosselet ) however I contacted him directly, via email. He offered to lead a day trip for my wife and I. He had to back out last minute due to illness, but in his place recruited Dany and Isain of grallaria_mx ( Login • Instagram ). They took us on an amazing tour of Xochimilco and Tlalpan, both within city limits. Over 60 lifers on my first trip to Mexico! Dany and Isain are incredibly knowledgable, and were a pleasure to spend time with.

The second trip was one Dany and Isain recommended, but couldn't lead due to scheduling. They put us in touch with Rafa Calderon, another skilled guide and birder. He drove us to Milpa Alta (a gorgeous rural high mountain area that's, incredibly, still within CDMX city limits). We birded in an area administed by the Nahuatl indigenous group, which is generally closed to the public. The Nahuatl guide who joined us (Ulises) was also incredibly knowledgable, and an exceptional bird photographer. There we saw the endangered Sierra Madre Sparrow, plus many other Mexican endemics like Red Warbler, Strictlands Woodpecker, Long-tailed Wood-Partridge, Bumblebee hummingbird, and more.

I highly recommend reaching out to Manuel, Dany, Isain, and Rafa. MMcD, or anyone else interested, let me know here or in a DM if you'd like their contact info. I'm happy to provide this in a DM.

Bosque de Chapultapec itself is also great for solo birding, especially if you're new to Mexico. The Tercero seccion (which is a bit tricky to access) was especially good: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L858695

Users who are viewing this thread

Back