• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me to love crows (1 Viewer)

Hello, I'm after some help.

Over the past few years, crows have been nesting in two large sycamore trees outside my house. Initially a single nest, by last year it had grown to four and this year it seems they're coming back.

I like birds; I was a member of the Lavenham Junior Bird Club in 1977 after all, and I've nothing against crows per se, but they're very loud and there are thousands of trees around my village which are a lot further away from my bedroom window than these two. There's obviously something about these two trees that is attractive to the crows and that's great, I'm happy for them.

In the past I've temporarily scared them off at this time of year by loud clapping and this winter I've even laid a couple of "dead crow" decoys around the garden. I thought these were working...but no. They're back.

Can anyone offer me anything to make me think I'm lucky to have these huge noisy things outside my bedroom year after year? Perhaps I can grow to appreciate them!

Make friends with them.
Yeah, there's that side to them, but my youngest is clever yet I still don't like being woken up at 3am by him! It gets light very early here in the summer.

I do actually appreciate how cunning they are, but does anyone find their call attractive? I guess it's certainly distinctive and communcative!

Yeah, there's that side to them, but my youngest is clever yet I still don't like being woken up at 3am by him! It gets light very early here in the summer.

I do actually appreciate how cunning they are, but does anyone find their call attractive? I guess it's certainly distinctive and communcative!
Joking aside... yes we have flocks that routinely 'wake' up early in morning and can be sometimes 'inconvenient'. And their call is not the most musical, tho I guess that's as judged by humans.

Some folks repel them with scarecrow tactics - including aluminum pie-plates hanging from tree limbs. You might also try a fake owl (very commonly available for gardeners here in US).

Good luck and let us know!

Thanks everyone. It's getting close to nesting season where it's illegal to interfere with nesting birds. Whether deterrents count as interference isn't clear to me, but I'd rather still encourage them to nest in one of the countless trees nearby for a while yet.

Last autumn, a dead crow was found at the base of the trees for a week or so and the crow activity suddenly stopped, so I've got two fake crow bodies which I place or hang at various points near the trees. As I say, I think they've worked to a point.

Following MiddleRiver's links, I've got a plastic owl coming today and I am tempted by the acoustic deterrent from Italy. My concern is any effect is only temporary and at the trees are big (around 18m tall) they might be beyond the effectiveness of any device.

If only I could learn to love their call...I'm not a townie who's just moved to the countryside, I just think they're picking on me!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back