• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird laying nest in enclosed porch (1 Viewer)

gmilojev

Canada
Hi there. We have a bird (we think its a starling) who has laid a nest in an enclosed porch. The bird as access into the enclosed area through the a small opening high up. This is the second nest. The first time there was a baby bird moving around the enclosed area and could not get out. I did not think it was ready to fly so I did not encourage it out but the mother was not feeding it after it left the nest for a few days, I was not sure what to do, I put a shoe box with grass but she did not go in it. She could not go back into the nest because she could not fly that high where the nest was located. Sadly a raccoon got in and killed the baby bird. The current nest now has 5 eggs and I dont know what to do. I cannot relocate the nest because she built it on a wood beam and If I try to move it I will probably break the nest. Once the babies are born and fly/ fall out of the nest I am not sure if the parents will come in the porch to continue to feed the babies if they are not in the nest and if they do not should I let them out even though they dont seem fully ready??

Welcome to Birdforum.

It is illegal to move or interfere with an active nest, so you couldn’t move it.

Is there any outside access to the porch? A window or door?

Hi gmilojev and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

It's best not to interfere with the nest especially at this stage, as the adults could well desert them altogether. I'm guessing it would be possible for you to open the door once they start jumping around the nest and possibly drop to the floor - they'd certainly be much better off in the open then where they can head into some cover; the parents will find them by listening for their calls. They do stop (or greatly reduce) feeding when they feel the young should be fledging so as to encourage them to leave the nest.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum.

It is illegal to move or interfere with an active nest, so you couldn’t move it.

Is there any outside access to the porch? A window or door?
There is a door. I could leave it open if I thought they could fly safely away
Hi gmilojev and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

It's best not to interfere with the nest especially at this stage, as the adults could well desert them altogether. I'm guessing it would be possible for you to open the door once they start jumping around the nest and possibly drop to the floor - they'd certainly be much better off in the open then where they can head into some cover; the parents will find them by listening for their calls. They do stop (or greatly reduce) feeding when they feel the young should be fledging so as to encourage them to leave the nest.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
thank you. I think leaving the door open is their best chance of survival. Thanks

Hi gmilojev and welcome aboard!

I've got my fingers crossed for this new group. Once the fledglings leave the nest, the parents usually will feed them on the porch/ground for a few days and hopefully all will work out.
BTW, Welcome aboard and please keep us updated if you don't mind. ;)

First, I would check your local/state laws and see what you can find because a lot of wildlife removal/relocation ordinances are applied at that level. However, if I were to venture a guess, it is probably illegal to move. Under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, for most bird species, it's illegal to relocate, remove, or generally interfere with any nest that is currently being used for breeding (has eggs, hatchlings, etc.). That being said, under certain circumstances, rescue organizations can still legally relocate or remove active nests, just not the general public.

Another concern is that, depending on the species, the mother or father may not return to their nest if it's moved. I would contact a local rescue or other wildlife organization. They'll be able to give you more information about the safety and legality of moving the nest and, if the situation is right, they'll be able to move it for you to ensure the best odds of the parents returning and the eggs surviving. Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks I won’t be moving the nest. I just hope that the babies will be able to safely make it out of the enclosure when it’s time.

Sadly I went to check on them and all the babies fell out of the nest. They looked only a few days old. The nest looked like it was partially collapsed. So sad

Oh that is very sad gmilojev. I'm so sorry to hear this, but thanks for letting us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back