• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird loggers with images? (1 Viewer)

qexnar

United States
The only app (iPhone and/or Mac) I've found that includes default images when searching for birds is Audubon. As a very new birdwatcher I find this invaluable as it lets me avoid pulling out the field guide if I think I've identified the bird. Are there any other apps I'm missing that also have this? I know you can include your own images on ebird or bird journal or others, but I don't have a camera so this isn't really an option.

eBird integrates with Merlin. If you are about to enter a record in eBird and are unsure, a single button press will open up the Merlin page for that bird so you can check the ID.

Thanks - I hadn't noticed that as it appears the link only appears during a logging session? Like if I explore an existing session I don't see that option.

I also dislike how much extraneous info eBird requires - time, duration, # observers, etc. I completely understand why they want that info but I don't really care so its annoying to fill it out.

you could do a search directly in Merlin without going through Ebird first (use the option to "Explore birds").

On the other hand, if you are out birding, starting a checklist in ebird and keep adding to it for a while make the extra info entry really minute.
Niels

Thanks - that's a good idea.

Related but also secondarily - how do people handle reports from their home address? I'm lucky enough to live somewhere where I can birdwatch from my backyard, but I'm not eager to publish my personal address on eBird (or anywhere). Do you just not submit reports when recording out in the backyard?

One option is to have a personal location in ebird where the name includes the word private. Another is to set a pin close but not necessarily at your house. If, for example you live in a subdivision your location sat could carry the name of that subdivision but sat in the habitat where you see most of the birds you report.

But is it really an issue? I do not know, just reconsider how much geographic lack of accuracy is necessary for you. I have lived in different countries than yours and have reported from my home the last 15 years, usually using the name of the subdivision but with the pin rather precise.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back