• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey French Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

Jmead

France
Hi all, another day, another game of "whats this blurry pic of?".
I went to a local spot hoping for a Short toed eagle (seen this week) and saw this "contender".
The bird was miles away but through the scope I saw the bird was pale and dark. Darkish head, pale-ish body. The bird seemed big. Bigger than buzzards and kites.
Other birds around were: Griffon vultures, egyptian vultures, bearded vulture, buzzards, red and black kites.
I am wondering if this is just an egyptian from a distance (I may have ended up photographing a different bird than the one i was watching through the scope).
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Ps: yes, the pics are terrible! :D

IMG_6476 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6476 (4).JPG
    IMG_6476 (4).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6477 (2).JPG
    IMG_6477 (2).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6477.JPG
    IMG_6477.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6478.JPG
    IMG_6478.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6480 (2).JPG
    IMG_6480 (2).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6480.JPG
    IMG_6480.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 58
Wow, cheers guys, TBH, Osprey was a thought of mine in the field, mainly because of colour.

What's making you say Osprey ?

Wing-shape and -attitude. Short-toed eagle is a stockier and heavier-looking thing with broader wings, and when the carpal is pressed forward like this the trailing edge is straighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back