• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird puzzle mystery bird (1 Viewer)

Alison425

United States
Hi,
I’m new here so I apologize if I’m breaking any rules by posting this here. I got a puzzle and I can’t identify one of the birds. I’m an avid birder and usually have no trouble with ID. I know puzzles can be stylized with generic birds, but all of the other birds are clearly specific species. It seems to be chickadee-sized and similar coloration, but I can’t find anything that matches. I have looked at all of the other bird ID sites and apps and nothing has helped, so I’m here as a last hope. I bought the puzzle in the US, so I guess it’s a US species, but who knows? I’ll attach a picture and the bird in question is circled in red. I hope someone can help!295E641C-64E2-4B08-9789-ED355304201E.jpeg

Of course I knew all of them except for the circled one ;) I'm leaning towards a Chickadee I am not familiar with. Hopefully someone will be able to identify it.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Yes it would surely have to be a Black Capped Chickadee (along with its friend in the foreground) - the markings on the back and wings are perhaps exaggerated a little, or it could be a juvenile almost molted into adulthood.

The picture seems to represent common yard birds, so it would be strange to put anything too exotic in there.

Some of the details remind me of a long-tailed tit while other details would be off for that species. Most likely Black Capped Chickadee with artistic license.
Niels

I think they are enhanced photographs of some kind rather than pure paintings - if the latter they are rather good.

This is a photo of a print (box cover?) so it's hard to be too certain that what I see on my screen matches the original artwork, but this looks to me like a composite photograph. There are lots of details that would be somewhat unlikely in a pure painting - things like the rust stains around the nails in the birdhouse. And something about the edges of some of the birds looks "off" for a single photograph - look at the crest of the blue jay. The lighting and shadows look pretty consistent, yet not quite perfect - compare the glare on the back of the "mystery" to the whites of the other birds. I think some of the bird photos have been resized - the blue jay in particular looks blurrier than the other birds, which would be weird in a painting. Some of them may have been digitally altered to create a painting-like effect. This may be true of the "mystery" bird -- or else it's a very good painting. I go back and forth - I think the wren and nuthatch may be paintings, or have been retouched manually.

I see absolutely nothing to indicate that the "mystery" bird isn't a black-capped / carolina chickadee.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back