• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird- Slovakia (2 Viewers)

Hi,
I would like to know if someone has any idea about the species of this bird.
The photo was taken in Slovakia in a bay tree, June 2023.
Likely to be a female.
Thanks

Attachments

• 91f16631-90ef-4d42-8978-66e0b9dee7b5.jpeg
    91f16631-90ef-4d42-8978-66e0b9dee7b5.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 179
Hello Andrew,
welcome to Birdforum!

At first, I agreed with you: Corn Bunting seemed a better match (by large bill and square, cubic head).
But when your friends observed the parents with some red on the male’s chest, than they are most propably Yellowhammers (or rarer Buntings where I havent seen fledgings before, like Ortolan or Black headed Bunting). And Stonefaction and Armand are right. Thanks!

Quite a few YH are even more/intense reddish on the breast than the attached bird (25.05.2013, Schwetzinger Wiesen, SW-Germany)

Attachments

• Goldammer 25.5.13.jpg
    Goldammer 25.5.13.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
i have no confidence in non birder's evaluations and like alexander suggests above, one saying 'red on chest' wouldn't put me off yellowhammer as i can see the chest streaking being interpretated that way (without further inquiry of the observer)

i do agree on the bill looking too heavy and considered Black-headed/Corn (even Greenfinch on bill size) but nothing else match those species and the bill looks even heavier than those species, more in Hawfinch/new world grosbeak territory but i can't see anything else to suggest those species either

which brings me back to yellowhammer when looking at the bird holistically (proportionately, bills on nestling/fledglings often look bigger and i put the bill query down to that when all things considered, from the pic to location)

Last edited:
i have no confidence in non birder's evaluations
Coo, at last someone blunt (that wouldn't ever be me, obviously) dares to say what I guess/hope many of us are often left thinking (y)
I agree about the huge bill. Why isn't it a juvenile greenfinch?

colouration of the upperparts (and generally) + strength of head streaking fits more yellowhammer than greenfinch for me

but it's clearly not written in stone, is the colouration even reliable and not leaf casting colours?

checking the bill again - besides heftiness, shape actually is more in keeping with greenfinch, in that the lower mandible is squared off in that species (like the pic) and cone shaped (convex) in yellowhammer

still not happy with it, i dont see greenfinch if im to rely on the pic as it is, and that bill is a problem for yellowhammer

On the no confidence in non birders front, a relative once rang me while they were in shetland (and this is a relative with an interest in birds and ok ID for her garden birds) and said she thought she had an albatross lol. So as im trying to get info off her she exclaims 'oh, there's two!' to which i reply 'it's not an albatross'. She tells me to hang on and then sends a pic. Two herring gulls feeding at her feet. Tongue in cheek i told her never phone me again :D

Last edited:
Ortolan bunting looks right to the description of the male, and the females look very similar to the one in the pic, though I do not see any white eye ring on it.
But almost non found in Slovakia, while yellowhammers are quiet common there. So probably it is a yellowhammer. Thank you for all your help

Look like linnets to me. Nest looks okay for this species also. Bill structure is completely wrong for a bunting (upper mandible is noticeably narrower than lower in buntings, very obvious when viewed head on as in first photo).

Not cherry-laurel and doesn't look like the stated bay tree either. And the nest is clearly (at least) many months old and full of rubbish.
If your friend 'took pictures of them', why aren't we looking at those?!
This is altogether quite an odd post...

The first two pictures were taken by her non birdwatcher parents as clearly stated. Having a many month old not used nest means what… ? I don’t quite get your logic.
Secondly, probably there is a significant time period between the two pictures( one with one without the chicks) taken, I don’t know to be honest. They were just sent to me couple of weeks ago to find out if I had know what they were.
Finally, my friend went over to visit the parents who showed her the type of birds that they had on nests before as they are around. She managed to photograph them.
The reason why we are not discussing those pictures is that I know what an ortolan bunting is in adult plumage.
It might all be odd to you, that’s your problem.
My problem is solved.
All the best

Not cherry-laurel and doesn't look like the stated bay tree either. And the nest is clearly (at least) many months old and full of rubbish.
If your friend 'took pictures of them', why aren't we looking at those?!
This is altogether quite an odd post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back