• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Singapore - Storks (1 Viewer)

ccamarote

United States
I saw these storks on a trip to Singapore in September 2023. I believe photo 4427 below of the bird in flight is the milky stork. however i am unsure about the bird in the water in 4808, is this a painted stork with no pink visible? The wings seem to suggest painted over milky but i am not too familiar with the species. thank you!

Attachments

• DSC_4427.jpg
    DSC_4427.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_4808.jpg
    DSC_4808.jpg
    896 KB · Views: 36
I saw these storks on a trip to Singapore in September 2023. I believe photo 4427 below of the bird in flight is the milky stork. however i am unsure about the bird in the water in 4808, is this a painted stork with no pink visible? The wings seem to suggest painted over milky but i am not too familiar with the species. thank you!
Both species have been introduced to Singapore and hybridise extensively see Milky Stork.

1st birds looks OK for Milky with exception you cannot see the entire underwing coverts (see SBP criteria), 2nd bird lacks pink as you say but also lacks black on the breast so possibly a hybrid.

I am not familiar with hybrids but for examples see https://ebird.org/species/x00729?siteLanguage=en_GB

Welcome to Birdforum ccamarote!

Grahame

Last edited:
Thank you Both. And thank you Grahame for the links, the SBP page information helps greatly. I agree the second photo is difficult, there might even be a slight pink in the coverts but its hard to tell. I think based on those criteria the hybrid makes the most sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back