• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Haikubox - any experience/ opinions? (1 Viewer)

Max_

Germany
Hi everyone,

I just came across a product from a US start-up called Haikubox (HAIKUBOX).

Apparently, they offer a hardware device (a “box”) which you can place in your yard (or wherever) and which is constantly recording bird sounds around the box (seemingly from quite some distance), identifying them and sending the information to you via an App.

Sounds quite cool. What do you think about it?

Does anyone of you already have one and can share his/her experience?

There is thread where people discuss making their own such devices. It was only a matter of time before someone made one commercially.

There is thread where people discuss making their own such devices. It was only a matter of time before someone made one commercially.

Thanks Mono! I just jumped into the discussion in the other thread. :)

Hey! I finally got my hands on a Haikubox this week. Apparently, it's the "Gen 2" version that they retooled to address the supply chain issues and to improve weatherproofing. I've been running a BirdNET-Pi station in my yard for six months. So, I wanted to compare the two devices and made this write-up on the device for anyone interested.

TL;DR: It lives up to its promises. It's a lower barrier to entry for someone interested in continuous bioacoustic bird identification since no technical skills are required to get it running. The app/website has nice resources to learn about and review the recorded birds. There is room for improvement in the UI, it has a lot going on, but you become accustomed to it after a while. The detections between the BirdNET-Pi and the Haikubox are very similar, which isn't surprising since they are both utilizing the BirdNET model.

I've been communicating with their team via email and they are super responsive and eager to hear feedback from the community for new features. My biggest wish for the device is to get API access to the detection data.

Hey! I finally got my hands on a Haikubox this week. Apparently, it's the "Gen 2" version that they retooled to address the supply chain issues and to improve weatherproofing. I've been running a BirdNET-Pi station in my yard for six months. So, I wanted to compare the two devices and made this write-up on the device for anyone interested.

TL;DR: It lives up to its promises. It's a lower barrier to entry for someone interested in continuous bioacoustic bird identification since no technical skills are required to get it running. The app/website has nice resources to learn about and review the recorded birds. There is room for improvement in the UI, it has a lot going on, but you become accustomed to it after a while. The detections between the BirdNET-Pi and the Haikubox are very similar, which isn't surprising since they are both utilizing the BirdNET model.

I've been communicating with their team via email and they are super responsive and eager to hear feedback from the community for new features. My biggest wish for the device is to get API access to the detection data.
Which countries does it ship to and what Android models does the app work/not work on? AIUI you have to use an app to control it (bad sign)?

I installed HaikuBox at my home which is just north of Duluth, Minnesota. My yard's habitat is a combination of boreal forest and meadow grass. Should anyone wish to follow my box, the name is "Amity Creek & Gardens". Even w/o a box you may create an account and monitor (even bookmark) HaikuBox's from around the United States and Canada. Here is the web link. I plan on having a full review of HaikuBox on my blog in the near future.

I installed HaikuBox at my home which is just north of Duluth, Minnesota. My yard's habitat is a combination of boreal forest and meadow grass. Should anyone wish to follow my box, the name is "Amity Creek & Gardens". Even w/o a box you may create an account and monitor (even bookmark) HaikuBox's from around the United States and Canada. Here is the web link. I plan on having a full review of HaikuBox on my blog in the near future.
Hey there ! Just ordered my haikubox and was surprised to see a name I recognized here. Hallo from Honeywell. You still haves friend here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back