• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Tours with the company Tropicalbirding (1 Viewer)

lunken5

United States
Hi All! I just registered to go on a birding tour to Ecuador with the company Tropicalbirding. I can't find any post covid reviews of the company. Has anyone gone with this company and can tell me about them? I'm a bit nervous because they only accept payment with a check or wire transfer and it seems a bit sketchy. Thanks!

Anyone know if Sam Woods has gone back?

Sam works/ed for TB but I think he came back too the UK during covid.

If they've managed to retain their staff, TB is supposedly very, very good.

You could try comparing and contrasting the recent trip reports with the pre-Covid trip reports. I've done that and both seem to get comparable numbers of species. They are a reputable company, although for cost and other reasons I elected to get a personal guide for Ecuador.

Thanks. I booked very last minute (leaving in two weeks) so as long as i know they are reputable then i wont worry about it. I had seen nice reviews from before covid. I have never taken a birding tour before so I’m excited to have everything planned. They did send me a trip report from their spring trip. The only thing that made me leary was their payment options (no cc/check or bank transfer only). Just thought it was strange.

Last edited:
Thanks. I booked very last minute (leaving in two weeks) so as long as i know they are reputable then i wont worry about it. I had seen nice reviews from before covid. I have never taken a birding tour before so I’m excited to have everything planned. They did send me a trip report from their spring trip. The only thing that made me leary was their payment options (no cc/check or bank transfer only). Just thought it was strange.
So lunken5: What did you think?

Who is guiding your tour?
I see TB as an international tour company with solid / pleasant guides, a very good reputation and if I'm not mistaken, the company was actually founded in Ecuador, as the owners live (/lived) there at that time.

The Tandayapa lodge (one of the best near Mindo) is the property of one of the partners in TB.
In other words: you can't go wrong, really.

disclaimer: I have no affiliations with TB :)

Who is guiding your tour?
I see TB as an international tour company with solid / pleasant guides, a very good reputation and if I'm not mistaken, the company was actually founded in Ecuador, as the owners live (/lived) there at that time.

The Tandayapa lodge (one of the best near Mindo) is the property of one of the partners in TB.
In other words: you can't go wrong, really.

disclaimer: I have no affiliations with TB :)
The company has been in operation for many years and has developed a solid reputation internationally and in the US. The quality of their website and the qualifications of their tour guides says it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back