• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird UK to id audio file (1 Viewer)

birdleg

Hi, I have an audio file only as unable to see the bird in the trees above. Never heard this before ....... Derbyshire UK.

Attachments

• bird.mp4
    260.9 KB
Hello,

yes it might well be a Jay or a Squirrel, but it might well be a young Raccoon.

Please compare:

With the usual caveats and the regular and repetitive calls might be better for a bird or amphibian?

As always, thanks for the appreciation, Butty.

Racoon and Racoon Dog were brought into the discussion by others, not me, so I thought it might be interesting to viewers, even if it doesn't bring us closer to a resolution of the OP's query.

My regular local birding spot, a couple of km from my house in the middle of a medium-sized city (pop, c. 350,000) - with a circumference less than 5km, and 145 bird species on my list so far - also has a small number of mammals, along with a variety of reptiles, and is a pretty good dragonfly spot, not bad for butterflies, and other insects.

We have had Tanuki (Racoon Dog) - which I am told used to be much commoner forty or fifty years ago - and (introduced, obviously) Racoon. (Both just a couple of times - I'm not claiming to see them every day.)

Here are photos of the two taken (at different times obviously) from very nearly the same point in my local spot. Just for fun. I wonder how many other members have seen these two species at the same spot?

170704017 Nara Ponds.jpg170704016 Nara Ponds.jpg140829016 Nara Ponds.jpg140829021 Nara Ponds.jpg

Hello,

first thanks to Butty and Rotherbirder for ID/correction. I must admit the recording reminded me of Raccoon sounds I heard before and a quick search seemed to confirm this (yes I have seen Grey Squirrels before, but I didnt know their calls, and I have never heard a Red Squirrel making this sound before).

And thanks to MacNara too for your interesting comment. Regarding your question: I have seen Racoon Dog in Angermünde, Herzsprung and near Greiffenberg (all close by in NE-Germany) now and I saw quite a few Raccoons around Angermünde too.

I saw them in the night and I was surprised by their unique style of walking, different to other similar sized mammals (including Raccoons).

Hi, Thank you all who replied ......Hehe definitely no raccoons here ......there was a squirrel about but I don't think it was making these sounds, (ps I've never heard squirrels make these sounds before)........unlikely a lesser spotted woodpecker ...........possibly a Jay but unsure as its sounds doesn't quite match the earlier sounds I heard of before I started recording it. ... Odd sound .

Last edited:
My feeling was a Corvid. Spent quite a bit of time trawling thru Carrion Crow then Rook before losing the will to live. Jay seems a good fit, fair play to Lou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back