• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Liege (1 Viewer)

Mark Lew1s

My real name is Mark Lewis
Hi, I'll be visiting Liege in early April this year for a conference. Can anyone give me any advice on good areas to bird around the city?

Thanks!

Mark

A few years ago I found myself in Liege. For a conference. You're not too far from the Ardennes, which should be productive for forest birds. I headed out there on the train (can't remember exactly which station) and heard Black Woodpecker anyway! There's quite a bit of forest in the southern part of Liege itself but I remember struggling to access it (though I'm sure it's possible if you know where to go). Continental forest stuff is probably your best bet in that area though.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Temmie - to be honest, my only target is to make the most of being somewhere else and getting some birding done! If there are any woodpeckers or owls that aren't available in the UK that would be good to know. I'm attending a conference so my time might be restricted, but if there are city parks with a decent selection of birds that would do!

Thanks!

Cycling /Birding
Any advice please.Me and my brother are cycling from Zeebrugge for a week from 26th June.We will be overnighting in Veurne,Ypres,Oudenaarde,Bruges and Ghent.I am a birder and will have late afternoon/early evenings spare (but brother is not a birder)Are there any known birding hotspots around the destinations or birds to look out for.Any help or advice would be much appreciated please.

for the owls: Eagle Owl, Tengmalm's Owl (hard), Tawny Owl and Long-eared should be possible, but on different sites. Woodpeckers: Grey-faced and Black are around Liege. A good starting point would be the east side of the lake at Eupen. Black Grouse is still on the haute fagne (viewpoint at signal de Botrange).

For the Cycling/birding: check the Uitkerkse Polder south of Blankenberge (Black-winged Stilt breeding last year in June) the Viconia kleiputten (Stuivekenskerke) for Penduline Tit, the Weiput in Zingem (with a hut), and the Bourgoyen-Ossemeersen near Ghent.

Cycling/Birding

Temmie, thank you very much for the information.I will look up those areas on the map and try to get to them.
Best wishes,Rob Greenwood

Lots of helpful info in this thread :t: I'm in Liege in early April, presumably at the same conference as Mark, and hope to fit in time for some birding :)

cheers
martin

Hi Martin,

I'm yet to have a look at the program from ECS - but if there's a 'less useful' selection of talks, I might duck out for an afternoon. My travel is already booked so unfortunately I won't have any time before or after...

There's at least one other birder going so if we can decide on a destination reasonably close we could use a taxi and share costs?

I just looked at the woodpecker sightings near Liege.

map of black woodpecker

This area just south of Liege seems very good for it

There's also some sigthings of middle spotted woodpecker there but they don't seens numerous there (most sightings come from feeders in winter)

Both species are also present in the wood South and West of Seraing

Middle spotted woodpecker are almost always found on old oak and black woodpecker prefer beech/conifer and are often seen near clearcut.

Lesser spotted woodpecker, goshawk, firecrest, crested tit, both treecreeper species (short-toed is commoner), hawfinch,... are also in these woods.

I'll have a look at the program. I'm working Saturday, so travelling to Liege on Sunday. I have to be at the poster presentation sessions on Monday and Tuesday, but sure I'll find time for some birding :)

cheers
martin

Hi Martin,

I'm yet to have a look at the program from ECS - but if there's a 'less useful' selection of talks, I might duck out for an afternoon. My travel is already booked so unfortunately I won't have any time before or after...

There's at least one other birder going so if we can decide on a destination reasonably close we could use a taxi and share costs?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back