• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around West Chester and Downingtown (1 Viewer)

Big Den

Coming over for a flying visit this Thursday 25th February for a week and wondering if anyone knows any decent sites for wildfowl, Gulls small stuff ect. I have transport so can get around, would appreciate any help.

Cheers

Dennis

Best place for waterfowl would be Heinz NWR (a.k.a. Tinicum) which is right next to Phila. Airport.

The largest variety of gulls would probably be in the area of Tullytown Landfill (on the Delaware River northeast of Bristol), but other than ring-bills and American herring gulls, most will be species that occur in the UK.

Middle Creek WMA north of Lancaster would also be good for waterfowl, especially for snow geese and tundra swans. I don't know if the lake is unfrozen yet, though.

The sheer number of bald eagles at Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River in Maryland just across the border from PA is impressive, although the variety isn't the same as the other locations.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that Jeff.

I paid a visit to Tinicum the last time I was over (August 2014) and loved it although there wasn't much in the way of Duck apart from Wood Duck and Mallard.

I also went down to Conowingo that trip and loved all the eagles and pay another visit. I'm really after Bufflehead and Redheads so hoping to come across some.

Best place for waterfowl would be Heinz NWR (a.k.a. Tinicum) which is right next to Phila. Airport.

The largest variety of gulls would probably be in the area of Tullytown Landfill (on the Delaware River northeast of Bristol), but other than ring-bills and American herring gulls, most will be species that occur in the UK.

Middle Creek WMA north of Lancaster would also be good for waterfowl, especially for snow geese and tundra swans. I don't know if the lake is unfrozen yet, though.

The sheer number of bald eagles at Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River in Maryland just across the border from PA is impressive, although the variety isn't the same as the other locations.

Well, I know of a place for bufflehead near me, but it's 20 miles north of Allentown. I had a few redheads here in Allentown a week or two ago, but they were a one-day wonder. Have you checked eBird?

As to ducks at Tinicum, if you had wood ducks chances are you were there in spring. Most of the ducks are gone by then.

I was there in mid August the last time Jeff and there were still some Wood Duck around. My friend just messaged me ten minutes ago to say he had double figures of Bufflehead on a near by pond to him so will check those out first and see how it goes.

cheers

Dennis

Well, I know of a place for bufflehead near me, but it's 20 miles north of Allentown. I had a few redheads here in Allentown a week or two ago, but they were a one-day wonder. Have you checked eBird?

As to ducks at Tinicum, if you had wood ducks chances are you were there in spring. Most of the ducks are gone by then.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back