• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Bulgaria - Two weeks in the Balkans (2 Viewers)

Great report Peter, I did a day trip from Bourgas to Madzharovo back in 2007, with Neophron.
Went to many of the same areas evidently. Like you, I cant remember some of the place names except Shtit, for some reason a village that sticks in my mind! Held Olive-tree Warblers nearby so it certainly didn't live up to its name!

Great report Peter, I did a day trip from Bourgas to Madzharovo back in 2007, with Neophron.
Went to many of the same areas evidently. Like you, I cant remember some of the place names except Shtit, for some reason a village that sticks in my mind! Held Olive-tree Warblers nearby so it certainly didn't live up to its name!
I'm John, Peter was the helpful chap with working ears and sharper eyesight!

A Scenic Interlude

I confess I had little idea what Bulgaria was like scenically until I started checking routes for the Crossbill Guide via Google Streetview which suggested it was a country with a varied scenery with craggy mountain tops, deep ravines, alpine meadows, wooded hills (deciduous and coniferous), wetlands, karst landscapes, rolling farmland, steppe and a beautiful (in parts) Black Sea coast edged with cliff & marsh. The reality was even better!
1688113931685.png

Rila Mountains - snow capped peaks, pine woodland and Alpine meadows - home to Wheatears, Whinchats, Ring Ouzels, Crossbills, etc and, surprisingly, Susliks.
1688114019870.png
Shades of Swiss alpine meadows in the Rila Mountains with Willow & Crested Tits, Black & GS Woodpeckers, Nutcracker, Hazelhen & much else in the woods.

1688124424240.png

The Tigrad Gorge - impressive scenery didn't entirely make up for the fact that we dipped Wallcreeper here but we did see Chamois - a mammal tick - not so far away.

1688114312123.png
An ancient beech woodland a couple of hours from Sofia - home to a variety of woodpeckers (inc. White-backed), Red-breasted Flycatcher & Brown Bears (no I didn't see any).

1688114504738.png1688114635097.png
The Black Sea - attractive with some superb 'migrant traps' for passerines but, it must be admitted, probably the worst place in Europe to go seawatching - no auks, no petrels, no Gannets, no 'maritime' gulls, only one shearwater - Yelkuoan (which we didn't see) and only one skua.

1688114957988.png
Limestone hills and marsh (Aldomirovtsi Marsh) an hour north of Sofia with Bittern, Little Bittern & Purple Heron, Little Crake, Savi's & Marsh Warblers Orolan Bunting etc

1688126063967.png

Farmland near the Black Sea - I took few photos of farmland (and none of steppe habitats) but it was striking that there were still many bushy margins and wildflowers.

1688126187209.png

Wayside scrub like this often proved to be excellent for birds - it was here that I finally caught up with Eastern Bonelli's Warbler - Hawfinch, Cirl Bunting & Olive-tree Warbler also present

1688115291525.png
The Struma River close to the Greek border Black Storks & Great White Pelicans on the river, Syrian Woodpeckers in the villages and much else to see.

1688115496853.png

The Greek mountains from the Rupite area - I took few photos of farmland and none riverine forest or steppe-like habitats so this visual overview isn't comprehensive but I hope it gives the feel of the country. Having 'done' the birds, I can now think about visiting Greece for its historical monuments without constantly looking over my shoulder for wildlife!

Last edited:
Day 8 - Monday 5th June

Back to the birds ...

Although I missed my companions as the only client the good news was the following week could be 'tweaked' to cater for my particular wants. I still had two lifers to see Rock Partridge and Rock Nuthatch (and a few 'century ticks') The first I knew could be elusive and inhabited potentially difficult-to-access mountainous regions but, as I'm not a great fan of gamebirds and the species concerned being very similar to its European congers, I was surprisingly relaxed about the prospect of missing it. I came to Bulgaria with the expectation that I'd dip at least one of the lifers I'd hoped to see - birding's like that - and if it had to be then Rock Partridge was the least painful option. However, I had wanted to see the little stone chiseller ever since I got my first European field guide (don’t ask) and it had already evaded detection at several sites. (Yelkouan Shearwater was technically a tick according to some taxonomists but since most experts have now lumped it back with Balearic Shearwater, I wasn’t at all bothered about seeing it)

1688126465524.png
Our first stop today was a small woodland reserve in the Strandza Mountains where we had an outside chance of six (!) woodpecker species. We saw three species – Great-spotted, Middle-spotted and Black (2 or 3 of them) – and heard a fourth (Grey-headed) but failed to find either Lesser-spotted or White-backed Woodpeckers. The latter are not the nominate race but the distinctive subspecies D. leucotos lilfordi. They seem to be rather scarce and elusive so I wasn’t surprised we missed it. However, I was disappointed as my previous sighting (of D. l. leucotos) was decades ago and I suspect it may be elevated to full species status at some point. It was probably the one "century tick" I most wanted to see - a jaunt to Bulgaria to see all European woodpeckers (bar Iberian Green) would be fun ... Other tree climbers seen included Nuthatch and Short-toed Treecreeper whilst a Spotted Flycatcher was one of only a handful I saw on the trip. Black Stork and Marsh Tit were also present.

From the Strandza Mountains we drove north to reach the charming old fishing village of Sozopol. The target here was Yelkouan Shearwater but I was just as keen to explore the town as it was the only place we visited with a wealth of historic domestic architecture. It was by far the most pleasant and attractive village place I visited on my trip.

1688126546924.png 1688126672073.png 1688126856776.png
Our next stop, Nature Conservation Centre Poda, was less that half-an-hour from Sozopol. This was a fabulous wetland site on the edge of the Black Sea. Highlights included Purple Heron, 50+ fly-over Great White Pelicans, large numbers of Pygmy Cormorants, Ferruginous Duck and a nesting Red-necked Grebe (my first sighting of this species in full summer plumage).

1688126784490.png
The final site we visited for the day was Pomorie Lake - Pumping Station Area which we’d visited on 4th June which held all the species we’d seen there previously plus Grey Plover.

Agree, it's great to have an idea of what the place looks like, besides the birds... and I have just realised that we actually own the guidebook, although it may be the older edition - as it was given to us last year.

Day 9 - Tuesday 6th June

Today we were moving from Burgas to our next base, Karvana which is about three hours away by the most direct route ... but being after birds we weren't taking a direct route! We had several detours into woodlands looking for Semi-collared Flycatcher, the ever-elusive Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler and Grey-headed Woodpecker checking forests and other habitats around Panitsovo, (near Goritsa) and the Baltata Reserve (near Varna I think).

Our first stop was a small side valley with light woodland and scrub (see my post about scenery for a photo of this site). Inevitably, this area held several Red-backed Shrike and it was no surprise to find Hawfinch, Cirl Bunting and Olive-tree Warbler here. Better still, it also had several singing Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler which were so close even I managed to hear both their song and call. After some nervous moments, two birds (apparently involved in a terretorial squabble) showed well. To my defective ears, the song sounded exactly like that of its western cousin although the call, which I could barely hear, was very different. Visually too it was very similar to western birds although it was perhaps a shade or two greyer above with a less bland face. My photo below really does show an Eastern Bonelli's Warbler - it's also a reminder of why I rarely take bird photos ... I'm not very good at it! My guide - who sometimes seemed keener on photography than guiding (probably an unfair comment as he was otherwise very good) - probably got better shots and if, as promised, he sends me some photos I'll post them here anon (with his permission).

1688127265195.png

Now that we had seen the warbler we could focus on woodpeckers and Semi-collared Flycatcher. En route we checked the village of Panitsovo - a pleasant place surrounded by what seemed to be more a Bulgarian version of dhesa – for woodpeckers. We had Red-backed Shrike (of course), Golden Oriole, Booted Eagle and, tantalisingly, a “green” woodpecker which promptly disappeared.

Our next stop was a narrow road through woodland about 1 km NE on the E87 from Zoo Gorika (near Goritsa). My guide briefly saw (and heard) Semi-collared Flycatcher here, but I couldn’t get onto the bird which was some distance away and through a screen of branches. However, I did get three ‘herp’ ticks; Snake-eyed Skink, Meadow Lizard and Schnidtler’s (Turkish) Newt.

1688127650455.png 1688127694143.png

After a coffee at the zoo (also a site for the flycatcher), we returned to the same area but stopped much closer to the main road where we quickly had views of both male, female & juvenile Semi-collared Flycatcher (another century tick).

1688132694752.png

Our next stop, Baltata Reserve, Kranevo (c20 km north of Varna), was squarely aimed at finding Grey-headed Woodpecker. We quickly caught up with another Middle-spotted Woodpecker, but it was only when we were walking back to the car that a pair of Grey-headed. obliged by giving excellent views (my first since the 1980s which probably explains why I was too excited to remember I had my camera with me). Then it was on to our hotel at Kavarna.

Attachments

• 1688127826052.png
    1688127826052.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Day 10 - Wednesday 7th June

From Kavarna it’s only about 15 minutes to Cape Kaliakra, a headland that projects southwards for c2 km into the Black Sea. At its base, it’s about 1.5 km wide but quickly narrows so that the final 800m is only c100m wide. Access to the habitat - mainly open grassy areas dotted with bushes - is unrestricted so it forms a great migration watchpoint full of potential. It must be fantastic place to be in the autumn when migrant eagles push south or when it's a Rose-coloured Starling invasion year but my overriding impression was that it must surely attract the occasional Siberian waif, despite the dearth of Bulgarian records.
1688137246655.png

Unfortunately, my June visit was well after peak migration period so migrants were thin on the ground. Happily, even in relatively ‘slack’ times there’s plenty to see here. For me the big draw here were a trio of wheatears; Pied, Isabelline. and Northern (making a change from my diet of Black, [Western] Black-eared and Northern when I'm in Spain). I’d not seen adult male Pied for decades, so it was a delight to find them so obliging around the cape here in the ancient (albeit much restored) ruins which they shared with a couple of Northern Wheatears). Isabellines were frequent in the more steppe-like habitat further inland but they were never quite so obliging as the Pied.

1688137554111.png1688137591666.png

On the rocks and offshore there were plenty of Cormorants and a few desmarestii Shags but no shearwaters. In retrospect, we probably spent too much time here (and at a couple of other sites nearby) fruitlessly scanning out to sea for Yelkuoan Shearwater.
1688137733473.png

The headland wasn't entirely bereft of migrants as Painted Lady butterflies were abundant with one bush alone attracting 70-80 insects.

1688136907529.png 1688137129746.png

The steppe-like area further inland had Crested and (Greater) Short-toed Larks, Stonechat, Hoopoe, Black-headed Bunting, Stone Curlew, and a very distant Long-legged Buzzard.
1688143671628.png
The next site we checked was Shabla Lakes (a shallow reed-fringed lagoon) which, I gather, that it is a regular site for breeding Paddyfield Warbler … except this year. This site added Dunlin and Green Sandpiper to the list.
1688136837445.png

Our final site was an attractive cliff with a small marsh at its foot. It's a regular site for Eagle Owl site but despite intensive searching, we were out of luck. A brief glimpse of a bird that was probably a Nightjar was similarly frustrating.

1688136753800.png

Although more low-key than other days and with too much time (in hindsight) spent scanning for Yelkuoan Shearwater, it was better than this rather meager account may suggest. It was also good to have a more relaxing day with only a limited amount of driving ... the following day would remedy that oversight!

Attachments

• 1688143629143.png
    1688143629143.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Agree, it's great to have an idea of what the place looks like, besides the birds... and I have just realised that we actually own the guidebook, although it may be the older edition - as it was given to us last year.
Yours is an older version that includes sites in Greece. The new guide focuses entirely on the Bulgarian Rhodope Mountains so has been extensively rewritten and edited accordingly.

I forgot to mention that I got a lifer and even got a smudged photo of it on Cape Kaliakra on Wednesday. It wasn't a bird, an insect, herp, a mammal or even a flower ... it was an aircraft! It was a Soviet built Sukhoi Su-25 Grach (aka Frogfoot) ground attack aircraft designed in the '70s. How many years in the gulag would I have been given If I'd taken the picture back then? It's a sign of the times that I was told it was taking part in a NATO exercise (Bulgaria having joined NATO in 2004)

1688143794921.png

Last edited:
Day 11 - Thursday 8th June

The original plan was to stay in Kavarna for another night but to optimise my chances of seeing my last two lifers and some more 'century birds', instead, we drove across the country to Sofia via Veliko Tarnovo and Boatin Nature Reserve (near Divchovoto), a marathon c6-hour drive for Victor. Not surprisingly, this left little time for any birding. Starting from scratch this route across Bulgaria probably wouldn't have made sense but it was an inevitable result of bolting my 'wants' onto the previous week's tour. I calculated that sitting in the back of a mini-bus for most of the day was a price worth paying... but only if the strategy worked!

However, the first stop wasn’t about birds or wildlife, it was to slake my thirst for seeing some historical remains (once a history teacher ...). This was achieved by visiting Veliko Tarnovo a former capital of Bulgaria (see anon). It also gave Victor a much-needed break. Following my history fix, our next stop, was for birds although it was still another 1½ hours along the E772 and then a further 30 minutes up into the mountains. However, when we arrived it was clear that visiting the Boitine Biosphere Reserve (near Divchovoto) was well worth the detour and the long drive.

Evidently, it’s the oldest native Beech woodland in the Balkans. The 200-year-old trees were magnificent. In truth, we didn't have a great varietyor number of birds there but standing amongst the huge trunks beneath the lofty leafy canopy was well worth it. Sometimes the ambiance of a place is as important (or more so) than birds seen or lifers ticked. It was a marvelous place that begs further exploration (although I think you need a permit to do so properly and the woods are so extensive that it would be easy to become disorientated if you wandered off the path). My guide told me that the woods here used to hold Ural Owl but that, surprisingly, they had been driven away by the increasing Tawny Owl numbers and were now only found much higher in the hills. The woods also have White-backed Woodpecker but, as usual, they're very scarce and despite the habitat looking good we had no luck (mid-summer is probably not the best time to look for this species). Given the vastness of the forest, it was no surprise to hear that the area also has a small population of Brown Bears. In short, it was yet another place you could spend a week (or two) exploring in this fabulous country.

1688157053242.png 1688157093553.png

However, I did have a target bird here, Red-breasted Flycatcher and although not anew bird - I've seen them in the UK - I really wanted to see one in summer plumage. Happily, we'd hardly walked more than a few dozen metres into the forest when my guide heard one calling (naturally I couldn't hear a thing) and it wasn't long before the bird quickly obliged bu showing reasonably well. This time I actually had my camera with me ... but it did me little good as the bird was moving through the foliage making it hard to ger a clear shot. However the guide managed to do so (the image below is a BoC shot of his photo). It was a very handsome bird it felt more of a tick than some dull drab plumaged lifers I've seen in the past!

1688157863779.png

However, after less than an hour it was time to go as it was already late and we had to leave after an hour or so as our hotel near Sofia was still just over 1½ hours away. Although the day offered slim picking ornithologically, I was delighted to have seen another of my targets (albeit not a lifer) and, hopefully to be in pole position for the two lifers that remained.

What a wonderful and well illustrated account of John's time in Bulgaria. We lived in the Rhodope mountains for just over 10 years where my linguist wife was analysing the Rhodope dialect. The region is amazing and full of interesting wildlife. Thank you very much John for your illustrated journal. All the best.

What a wonderful and well illustrated account of John's time in Bulgaria. We lived in the Rhodope mountains for just over 10 years where my linguist wife was analysing the Rhodope dialect. The region is amazing and full of interesting wildlife. Thank you very much John for your illustrated journal. All the best.
Interesting to hear that the Rhodopes have a distinct dialect. Are the fruits of your wife's research available anywhere?

Day 9 - Tuesday 6th June

Today we were moving from Burgas to our next base, Karvana which is about three hours away by the most direct route ... but being after birds we weren't taking a direct route! We had several detours into woodlands looking for Semi-collared Flycatcher, the ever-elusive Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler and Grey-headed Woodpecker checking forests and other habitats around Panitsovo, (near Goritsa) and the Baltata Reserve (near Varna I think).

Our first stop was a small side valley with light woodland and scrub (see my post about scenery for a photo of this site). Inevitably, this area held several Red-backed Shrike and it was no surprise to find Hawfinch, Cirl Bunting and Olive-tree Warbler here. Better still, it also had several singing Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler which were so close even I managed to hear both their song and call. After some nervous moments, two birds (apparently involved in a terretorial squabble) showed well. To my defective ears, the song sounded exactly like that of its western cousin although the call, which I could barely hear, was very different. Visually too it was very similar to western birds although it was perhaps a shade or two greyer above with a less bland face. My photo below really does show an Eastern Bonelli's Warbler - it's also a reminder of why I rarely take bird photos ... I'm not very good at it! My guide - who sometimes seemed keener on photography than guiding (probably an unfair comment as he was otherwise very good) - probably got better shots and if, as promised, he sends me some photos I'll post them here anon (with his permission).

View attachment 1518296

Now that we had seen the warbler we could focus on woodpeckers and Semi-collared Flycatcher. En route we checked the village of Panitsovo - a pleasant place surrounded by what seemed to be more a Bulgarian version of dhesa – for woodpeckers. We had Red-backed Shrike (of course), Golden Oriole, Booted Eagle and, tantalisingly, a “green” woodpecker which promptly disappeared.

Our next stop was a narrow road through woodland about 1 km NE on the E87 from Zoo Gorika (near Goritsa). My guide briefly saw (and heard) Semi-collared Flycatcher here, but I couldn’t get onto the bird which was some distance away and through a screen of branches. However, I did get three ‘herp’ ticks; Snake-eyed Skink, Meadow Lizard and Schnidtler’s (Turkish) Newt.

View attachment 1518297 View attachment 1518298

After a coffee at the zoo (also a site for the flycatcher), we returned to the same area but stopped much closer to the main road where we quickly had views of both male, female & juvenile Semi-collared Flycatcher (another century tick).

View attachment 1518308

Our next stop, Baltata Reserve, Kranevo (c20 km north of Varna), was squarely aimed at finding Grey-headed Woodpecker. We quickly caught up with another Middle-spotted Woodpecker, but it was only when we were walking back to the car that a pair of Grey-headed. obliged by giving excellent views (my first since the 1980s which probably explains why I was too excited to remember I had my camera with me). Then it was on to our hotel at Kavarna.
Glad you found the Flycatchers (I was the one who gave Dimitar the location for the active nests). I have seen countless Snake-eyed Skinks and Meadow Lizards but never the newt. Do you have the scientific name please John, I can't find it in my book?

Chris

Glad you found the Flycatchers (I was the one who gave Dimitar the location for the active nests). I have seen countless Snake-eyed Skinks and Meadow Lizards but never the newt. Do you have the scientific name please John, I can't find it in my book?

Chris
Many thanks - I realised Dimitar had spoken to someone, but didn't know who.

A Historical & Cultural Interlude (or once a History teacher ...)

With such a deep and varied history stretching back to the ancient Thracians, I expected every town and village in Bulgaria to be littered with evidence of its ancient and medieval past. Although there were interesting classical archaeological remains in Sofia, Cape Kaliakra, Sandanski and Rupite (plus an Ottoman hammam in Karvana), I was surprised that so little from medieval times remained above the ground. Most strikingly, unlike the UK (or most of Western Europe), hardly any settlements seemed to have religious buildings (be it church or mosque) dating from the Late Medieval Period or earlier. I think I saw no more than a handful of really old churches or mosques all told with the three standout examples all being in Sofia; the Rotunda of Sveti Georgi (originally a 4th Century bath house), the 6th century Hagia Sophia and the 16th century Banya Bashi Mosque. In rural areas, I spotted only one or two ancient churches and all of the (more prominent) mosques appeared to be of fairly recent construction. Perhaps there’s a clue in the two churches noted earlier, both served as mosques during Ottoman rule. So were churches demolished/suppressed under Ottoman rule? But why so few old mosques? And what happened during the communist era? What impact, if any, did earthquakes have?
1688416927967.png 1688416943727.png

Equally striking was the absence of old vernacular buildings in general. Most villages appeared to consist of buildings dating from the latter part of the 20th century with only the occasional older-looking building (more often, perhaps, in the mountains). One exception was the charming fishing port of Sozopol on the Black Sea which alone of the places I visited had a substantial core of charming old buildings. The construction was interesting too – 3-5 layers of roughhewn stone divided by horizontal planks and topped by a wooden jettied storey. Did the planking serve some purpose other than decorative, perhaps to stabilise buildings during earth tremors? Why was the top storey made of wood? Was it cooler living accommodation in the summer?
1688417032104.png1688417134341.png 1688417209525.png
Most of the towns we passed through or stayed in weren’t particularly attractive or historic although, despite the relative lack of older buildings, I particularly liked Sandanski. This town had a distinctly Mediterranean atmosphere and boasted a pleasant broad tree-lined boulevard leading up to a handsome park. There were also substantial Roman ruins there and an excellent small archaeological museum which housed several good mosaics including one decorated with what appeared to be Ring-necked Parakeets and Purple Swamphens! In addition to the hammam in Karvana, there was also a small ethnological museum that I managed to take time out to visit. It was fascinating to see the distinctive clothes worn in the 19th century which signaled the wearers' ethnicity and religion.
1688417427919.png
Mention must also be made of my brief stop in Veliko Tarnovo. Although I only had time to walk around the fortress of Tsarevets (which once housed the royal and patriarchal palaces), it occupied an impressive location on a cliff-lined horseshoe bend above the Yantra river. The town itself was the capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire and begged to be explored but Victor was well-rested, and we still had a long way to go. A good reason to go back to Bulgaria and explore other aspects of the country beyond the wildlife. Next time perhaps …
1688417513929.png
I cannot end this brief dalliance into history and culture without mention of Baba Vanga, Heraclea Sintica and St. Pantaleon. “Baba who?” you may well ask but this blind clairvoyant and soothsayer, a latter-day Nostradamus if you will, had a huge following and was widely known in Eastern Europe. Her reputation was such that it’s rumoured that the Tzar Boris III of Bulgaria (1894-1943) consulted her. One might have thought that her star would have waned under the atheist post-war Communist regime, but she was reportedly consulted by members of the Bulgarian Communist Politburo, leading intellectuals and even, some claim, Leonid Brezhnev! She’s commemorated by a new church and museum set in pleasant grounds which, to judge from the lines of stalls selling tourist tat and local produce that line the approach road, remains a very popular tourist/pilgrimage destination. Personally, I found the nearby muddy medicinal hot springs more interesting.

I found this continuing reverence and regard bizarre. I also rather resented that Baba Vanga’s museum got more attention and care than the nearby rather neglected ruins of Heraclea Sintica, a 4th century BC town founded by Philip II of Macedon (unfortunately time and weather defeated my intention to visit this site). The odd thing is that if you must have a character and site worthy of veneration there’s a much better candidate just across the river. On a bluff just across the River Struma, there’s a small rock chapel (no more than a niche and a small cave) dedicated to St Pantaleon. Who he? Pantaleon was a doctor from Nicomedia who became a genuine Byzantine saint and martyr. He’s now relatively obscure (although he remains the patron saint of physicians and midwives) but he has been revered across Europe for over a thousand years. He’s a patron saint of the Portuguese city of Porto, explorer Bartolomew Diaz’s named one of his ships after him, the (in)famous Russian battleship, the Potemkin, was renamed in his honour and his name even crops up in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials novels. The place continues to be a site of quiet and discrete and modest veneration (with only a modest portico pritecting the holy niche), a contrast to the in-your-face celebration of Baba Vanga across the river. He also seems to be more effective in answering prayers … Back to the birds!
1688417634891.png 1688417678459.png 1688417602862.png 1688417712042.png

Attachments

• 1688417083062.png
    1688417083062.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Day 12 - Friday 9th June

Rising around dawn, we headed north from Sofia for about an hour to Dobravitsa (near Breze in the Ponor mountains). Our early start was to maximise chances of seeing Rock Partridge at a remote massive rock wall (Stolo Rock Formation). It paid off as no sooner had we arrived than Dimitar heard and then spotted a Rock Partridge on a ridge high above us. Happily, although distant, through the ‘scope I could see the white chin that told me that it wasn’t a Chukar (which apparently isn’t found here anyhow). We walked up from where we parked to the alpine meadows below the crags finding Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat, Mistle Thrush, Long-tailed Tit, Marsh Tit, Woodlark, Yellowhammer and Ortolan Bunting as we did so. Dimitar suggested scrambling higher to get better views of the partridge but as he confessed last time he’d done so it’s taken a couple of hours to get a good view of the elusive gamebird. My preference for exploring the ‘alpine meadows’ paid off as we soon heard a “crexingCorncrake. I’ve only seen the species once (50 years ago!) but didn’t mind not seeing the bird as my ambition was to hear its call whilst I still could! Although I saw more birds and of a greater variety elsewhere, this was probably the site I most enjoyed visiting. Thanks to several factors - unexpectedly seeing Rock Partridge so quickly atop a massive rock wall, the evocative crexing of the Corncrake, the contrast in habitats and, of course, the fabulous views over endless wooded hills. This was a fantastic area which would reward closer attention.
1688418405689.png 1688418422173.png 1688418253089.png 1688418303016.png
As our overnight accommodation was well to the south near the Greek border, we retraced out route to Sofia, then through the Kresna gorge and on to Sandanski (almost three hours away). As we headed south the landscape and vegetation took on more of a ‘Mediterranean’ feel as did the weather as it quickly became scorchingly hot. After such an early start Victor needed a rest so we had an afternoon siesta. Refreshed and rested, we headed south to Rupite (passing a flock of c40 Great White Pelicans resting on the bank of the River Struma en route).

As noted above, Rupite was a strange place with a popular “medicinal” hot spring and a centre of a dedicated to blind mystic, Baba Vanga. The cliffs here were reputedly the home of Rock Nuthatches and Long-legged Buzzards. We spent some time trying, unsuccessfully, to reach the bank of the River Struma to scan the more distant cliffs (i.e. 200m away) rather than trying to get closer. We saw a few good birds such as Bee-eater and Eastern Olivaceous (but not Long-legged Buzzard that breeds on the cliff face here) but our targets. Perhaps we should have appealed to Baba Vanga! After a false start, we tried a different approach by driving around to a village (General Todorov) on the far side of the hill that flanked the river. Initially checked an area west of the village near a ruined school(?) but failed to find a convenient route to the cliffs. This proved to be a bonus as I had excellent views of Syrian Woodpecker here. Finally, as the afternoon began to nudge towards early evening we decided to try a track in the village signposted to St Pantaleon's Rock Chapel. This was drivable for only about a kilometre after which it deteriorated and then became a narrow footpath leading around the shoulder of the hill so we walked the final c1 km to the chapel. The views down to the river and beyond were stupendous and worth the walk alone but birds were relatively few (White Stork, Buzzard, Short-toed Eagle & Nightingale being the most notable).

On reaching the cliff face, we methodically and repeatedly scanned the rock face above willing the nuthatches to appear but all to no avail as the birds stubbornly refused to co-operate. Defeated and with the evening starting to press on, we reluctantly headed back to the van. As we passed St Pantaleon's cave I jokingly mused to myself that perhaps we should have made an offering to the good saint. Just beyond the portico protecting the holy niche I paused for breath by a wooden rail as Dimitar walked on. Hearing some loud and piercing calls (they have to be these days!) I looked down. Seeing two birds 4-5m away, I thought “They’re Nuthatches” followed a millisecond later by “They’re not any old nuthatch, they’re Rock Nuthatches!” I was delighted to see the bird, particularly as they'd been giving us the run around but my delight all the greater as I'd found them for myself having pretty much given up. Good old St Pantaleon! Brilliant! The birds squabbled, posed and then flew off but happily one posed again about 10 m away giving a superb view. Clearly a “nuthatch” but one that was whitish below, a pale blue-grey above with a long back stripe above the eye and an unblemished concolorous tail. I also thought it somewhat leggier than its familiar cousin. My last target bird in the bag! Meanwhile, Dimitar was focussed on getting photos as it transpired to be his best view ever of the species (see the BoC shot of his photo below).

1688420012144.png1688419963427.png1688420152652.png

It was a great relief and perfect end to a great (if sometimes frustrating) birding day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back