• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Cadiz (& nearby) (1 Viewer)

I'm constantly astonished that so many otherwise well-traveled birders have never visited the Straits of Gibraltar. In my youth, admittedly a very long time ago, partly inspired by Mountfort's 'Portrait of a Wilderness', south-west Spain was the place to go not just in Spain but Europe as a whole (which was then pretty much the limit of a birdwatcher's horizons). The advent of world birding based on (relatively) cheap long-distance flights has pushed the Straits too far down the pecking order. Then at some point Extremadura went from being 'unknown' to becoming THE, and often only, place birders thought about visiting Iberia so, whilst hardly neglected, the Straits have become somewhat overlooked by too many

Nikki & Simon, my friends at 'Inglorious Bustards' (https://ingloriousbustards.com) have just released a superb high-quality video (see Inglorious Bustards - #FlywayBirding on Vimeo) which captures and conveys the magic of birding the straits. Obviously, there's a commercial element in the production as it also (understandably) promotes their company (other equally excellent guides are available) but it does give a wonderful taste of birding this magical area.

Hello John, You are certainly keeping busy!
Out of interest, in the book, Birdwatching Calendar of the Province of Cadiz, does say who did the translation to English? It might be a friend of mine!

Hello John, You are certainly keeping busy!
Out of interest, in the book, Birdwatching Calendar of the Province of Cadiz, does say who did the translation to English? It might be a friend of mine!
Not as far as I can see. Annoying since, given how hard it is to do well (and it is done well here), I think translators should always be acknowledged.

I have just checked with my friend, and it was the one she translated. I am glad that you said that it was done well, as she sent her translation to me for fine tuning!!

As I know from my work with the Crossbill Guides, a final tweaking by a native speaker of the language does tend to iron out any lacunae!

I've just completed a root & branch revision of my birding guide to the area adding five entirely new maps, revising/redrafting many more, editing the text, adding GPS details, etc. It has 300 pages & over 80 maps & is free (although donations to the Alzheimer's Society via my Just Giving Page in memory of my late wife are much appreciated - over £1,500 raised this year). Contact me with your email address for a copy.

Attachments

• Guide Cover.png
    Guide Cover.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
With the autumnal birding season in the southwest corner of Spain - Cadiz Province - rapidly approaching I think it is opportune to share some of the information gleaned there in my first spring visit post-Covid in April/May 2022. Although birders understandably congregate along the Straits (esp. in autumn) many seem not to fully appreciate just how good the rest of the province is for birding (esp in spring). This is why I wrote my guide - a labour of love (literally so in recent years) - to birding sites in the area which I freely share with birders (although I do invite folks to make donations to charity). Although all of the information is in my blog and/or notes, in an attempt to reach a wider audience I thought I'd kick off a thread on the area here (in part to replace that started by the late & much lamented 'Eddie the Eagle'). Hopefully, now that I have wi-fi in Spain I will be able to add further posts when I'm next out there. Perversely, though, I'll start with a neglected site which is probably not at its best in late summer/autumn but it is so neglected that I thought I'd highlight it here.

Laguna de Jeli has probably been overlooked by birders because Laguna de Medina offers many of the same birds (and more), is much better known and more convenient to visit (although Laguna de Jeli is a good deal easier to visit than most imagine). Over a decade ago when I first tried to visit this laguna I couldn't find the path from the A 390 (Chiclana - Medina Sidonia road) by which it was supposed to be accessed. This was a forgivable oversight as the path was then narrow, badly overgrown and un-signposted with nowhere to pull off on the main road. How things change! The footpath (Cordel de los Merchantes) is now very well-signposted on the A 390 (although you have to stop to find out where it goes) with a convenient car park.

However, long before the path to Laguna de Jeli was upgraded I searched for an alternative easier route to the reserve and, thanks to GoogleEarth, discovered an excellent wide gravel track, the Cañada de Marchantes, which takes you to the other end of the path. Not only does this route reduce the walk to the laguna from almost 3 km to half that distance but it's also worth checking in its own right. The cañada (= droveway) follows a ridge with good views towards Medina to the east and the Bahai de Cadiz in the west. I've had both Montagu's Harrier and Black-winged Kite here and during migration periods small groups of Honey Buzzards and other raptors drift over. Other birds such as swifts, hirundines, Roller and Short-toed Lark also seem to follow the ridge. Better still, the surrounding low-intensity agricultural plots hold Rufous Bushchat. So, although it means a 10 km detour to the footpath (if arriving via the car park on the A390), it's one that's well worth it even before you get there.

Walking along the footpath down to the laguna you quickly reach an information board and viewpoint which gave scenic views of the laguna c1 km away. Further along the path, there's a 350m long boardwalk through the bushes which is raised up high enough to see over the bushes. This was followed by another viewpoint that finally gives you a useful view of the laguna and then a slatted hide that overlooks the nearest edge of the laguna. The hide might be further away than ideal (c150-200m depending on water levels) but, if you have a 'scope, you should be able to identify most of the wildfowl here which, with White-headed, Ferruginous and Marbled Ducks potentially on the 'menu', could be worth the walk.

The Laguna de Jeli is a 'hidden gem' set in rolling countryside with terrific views and as such is well worth seeking out and exploring, particularly in winter and spring.

View attachment 1455185. Even if the laguna is quiet and relatively birdless, this is a great area with much potential for a visiting birder to find something for themselves.

View attachment 1455178View attachment 1455179
My husband and I are from south Texas. We plan to be in Seville in mid April and are having a hard time (understandably) getting in with a group to bird in the area. We are traveling light, so the main problem is connecting with a group with binoculars, or borrowing them in town. Any suggestions for visiting birders traveling light?

I doubt this approach will work for you. Consider purchasing some pocket bins (10x25 or 8x28) which should be light enough to bring even when traveling light.
Niels

My husband and I are from south Texas. We plan to be in Seville in mid April and are having a hard time (understandably) getting in with a group to bird in the area. We are traveling light, so the main problem is connecting with a group with binoculars, or borrowing them in town. Any suggestions for visiting birders traveling light?
There's always room for a pair of 8x32 binoculars (or a pair of compact pair - 8x24/28)! As for getting in with a group of birders who can help I suggest contacting the Andalucia Bird Society (Home - Andalucia Bird Society) which runs regular field trips in the area and may have members who can help you. There are also professional tour guides who can help albeit for a charge of some sort.

I don't know Seville very well but you should see Lesser Kestrels on the cathedral and I've had Sardinian Warblers in some of the parks and fly-over Booted Eagles & Black Kites there. A visit to Parque Oromana in Alcala de Guidiera (an hour or so by bus) should get you endemics such as Azure-winged Magpie & Iberian Green Woodpeckers plus a good mix of birds such as Serin, Golden Oriole, various warblers, etc. It would be easier to advise if I knew how long you intend to be in Seville, whether you'll hire a car, etc. I'm likely to have visitors in mid-April so will be unavailable but if there's a window of opportunity I may be able to meet you at Jerez station (there's a good train service from Seville) and take you birding.

Just back from a February jaunt to Cadiz Province. Whilst it was good to catch up with the Red-knobbed Coot at Costa Ballena again, it's a worry that the bird has had to resort to such atypical habitat presumably because many of the small lagunas in the area are dry. They should be filling with winter rains but poor rainfall & heavy water extraction for agriculture have lowered the water table.

1677703864105.jpeg

I was also pleased to find no less than 15 Little Bustards at a site near Benalup - by far my largest flock in the area. I also had 11 on a visit to the Osuna area plus a total of 56 Great Bustards there. Once again I was alarmed to see the growth of olive plantations in the species' Andalucian stronghold. 1677704223346.jpeg1677704201267.jpeg

Osuna is one of my favourite Andalucian towns with a superb architectural heritage (see photo) and some excellent tapas bars which alone would make it worth visiting but it's the presence of some of the last remaining "pseudo-steppe" in Andalucia and accordingly a population of bustards that brings me back time and time again.

As usual, I started by exploring the SE 715 from Osuna stopping at the first bridge over the unfinished AVE railway line (see map). In the past, I've had Great Bustard here but the bare arable field has long since been replaced by an olive grove. Happily, the second bridge (which also crosses the SE 715) came up trumps with three droves of Great Bustard in view (one to the right, a second roughly in front of me at the edge of an olive grove and a third larger group further off towards the SE 710 - see photos). I could also see half-hidden smaller birds that I suspected to be a couple of Little Bustards. They were too distant (c2km) and partly obscured to absolutely discount the possibility that they were Mallards (which occur here and can look surprisingly bustard-like at extreme range). Hoping to get a better view of the largest drove I took the track over the third bridge (the connecting track from the second bridge is undrivable unless in a 4x4) to get a closer look. En route, I found another small group of Great Bustards way off to my left. Arriving at the junction with the track from the second bridge, the Little Bustards (as they proved to be) were flushed by farmworkers. Rather than just a couple of birds, there was a flock of 11 individuals which, fortunately, soon pitched down in a field near the track (see photo) a hundred meters towards the SE 710. As I hadn't seen this species on my last couple of visits I was delighted to catch up with them (but was chagrined to discover others saw them and Black-bellied Sandgrouse in the same area a few days later).

Moving on to the fourth bridge, I briefly explored a few hundred metres along the gravel track running along the unfinished AVE line before heading for the track leading to the Lesser Kestrel Tower (at GPS 37.3076, -5.2314) which is an area where I've seen sandgrouse in the past. I failed in my quest to see the sandgrouse but had a further two Great Bustards fly over (making my total for the day 56 birds) plus a couple of Dartford Warblers, Iberian Green Woodpecker and Spanish Sparrow (in spring/summer this is usually a good area for Roller and Iberian Grey Shrike). Less happily, I also saw further evidence of the encroachment of new olive groves on what was previously bustard/sandgrouse habitat (see photo).

I also managed to explore a couple of areas I'd not looked at before or hadn't done so for a long time. The first was the Vereda del Alamillo off the SE 715 which I'd passed many times and stopped at before but never fully explored. This time I walked c1 km down the track to and under the unfinished AVE railway line (although in doing so I discovered the track was perfectly drivable). En route, I saw disappointingly little (House & Spanish Sparrows & Corn Bunting). Beyond the AVE line I had views across towards the tower constructed for Lesser Kestrels (in theory at least this track should link up with the track there but it is very degraded and suitable only for exploring on foot). I also confirmed that the track back towards the 4th bridge was still in good condition and decorated with 'official' signs' (implying public access). In the other direction, the track seemed to be degraded as it ran uphill. This track eventually reaches the SE 7201 but exit is prevented by a chain. A track on the other side of the AVE track was in a far worse condition. I remain uncertain whether either track allows public access to or an overview of Laguna de los Ojuelos (although eBird reports suggest there is some sort of access is available possibly by prior arrangement by the estate). Caution is advised as the estate raises fighting bulls ...

The second area I explored was along a track that's a westward extension of the SE 715. This track soon becomes badly rutted and peters out after c500m just after it reaches a bare stony field. Black-bellied Sandgrouse have been seen in this area and the habitat (to my eye at least) looks ideal. Below at the foot of the hill lies the dry bed of the Arroyo Salado which also looks like suitable sandgrouse habitat. It may be possible to get a better view of this area by following the track immediately north of the AVE line where (after c1 km) another bridge crosses the unused railway (but not the active one).

If you want to see Black-bellied Sandgrouse and both bustards in Andalucia my advice, considering the continuing growth of olive plantations is to go as soon as possible.

bustards-map5_orig.png

img-20230131-150412-6.jpg
img-20230131-113049-9.jpg
dscn2210.jpg
dscn2190.jpg
img-20230131-132941-1.jpg

Humedal Cerro de las Cigüeñas
Having 'discovered' this site online via GoogleEarth last autumn it was somewhere I was very keen to visit in person this February. Whilst I saw relatively few birds it proved to be a pleasant site with good potential for picking up interesting birds when conditions are suitable (i.e. wet). It's a couple of km NW of Los Palacios y Villafranca so is a very minor detour, particularly if heading along the NIV. To be honest, it has less to offer than Laguna la Mejorada (which is accessed off the same turning off the NIV) and still less than Humedal El Pantano on the other side of the town (best accessed off the E5/AP4). Yet if you turn off for the former then the extra 5 minutes to drive over to this site - if only out of curiosity - is very tempting and could pay dividends. 1677841259641.png

With a dozen or so White Stork nests (most already occupied) dotted around the site certainly lived up to part of its name which means "Hill of the White Storks Marsh" but the flat open landscape offered no hint of a hill as far as I could determine. The fences surrounding the reserve are punctuated by two daunting-looking gates both of which, happily, proved to be unlocked. The hide has a good view across what would be after a wet winter a small shallow laguna. It was dry when I visited but eBird reports suggest it could hold Whiskered Terns, Glossy Ibis, egrets, various waders, hirundines, etc. There was a small wet area behind the levee on my visit (see photo) which had a couple of Black-winged Stilts, 4-5 Avocets and a single Glossy Ibis. The broad Cano de la Vera nearby was dotted with shallow puddles (see photo) which could well attract Pratincoles, waders, hirundines, etc if still present in spring.

A noticeboard here gave some background about the site:
The Ecological Reserve "Humedal Cerro de las Cigüeñas" is declared with this figure of protection on the 19th December 2017.
It is a wetland located next to the Caño de la Vera, in the north-western part of the municipality of Los Palacios and Villafranca, in an old marsh area of the Guadalquivir river, which is currently highly modified by human activities. It has totally lost the tidal influence due to the multiple channels and dikes that have replaced the natural channels. Its waters essentially come from direct precipitation, surface runoff and artificial inputs through irrigation ditches and drainage from nearby cultivated areas. Despite this input, the wetland is seasonal, becoming completely dry during the summer period or maintaining very low water levels in the summer months, if rainfall and crop irrigation are scarce. Due to its characteristics and location to the nearby Coto Doñana marshes, this wetland is important for birds linked to wetlands.
It is included within a property owned by the City Council and has an extension of approximately 21.67 Ha. of which some 5.37 Ha. correspond to the floodable area. This, specifically, is not a natural wetland but arises from the closure and environmental restoration of an old uncontrolled landfill of urban solid waste in which the extraction of solid waste accumulated for years was carried out and sealed in 1997. Open for public use.
(Translated with minor modifications by Google).

The Los Palacios y Villafranca council is also responsible for the hide and other work at Humedal El Pantano and must be congratulated not only for conserving these sites but also encouraging public access. I wish other local councils in Spain did half as much!

1677838539534.jpeg1677838612118.jpeg1677838556822.jpeg1677838656418.jpeg
1677838689971.jpeg1677838711500.jpeg

Attachments

• 1677840806923.png
    1677840806923.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1677839797975.png
    1677839797975.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 2
Great guide @John Cantelo ! 😁

I'm planning to be in Cadiz next month for work and I'm hoping to do some birding while I'm there. I've been reading through this thread and have seen some great suggestions, but I'm facing a bit of a challenge. I won't have a car and it seems that many of the birding locations suggested require one.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with public transportation to any of these locations? Specifically, I'm interested in knowing if there is a bus or other transportation option that could take me to one of the birding spots mentioned in this thread.

I'll probably only have one day off, so I want to make the most of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Great guide @John Cantelo ! 😁

I'm planning to be in Cadiz next month for work and I'm hoping to do some birding while I'm there. I've been reading through this thread and have seen some great suggestions, but I'm facing a bit of a challenge. I won't have a car and it seems that many of the birding locations suggested require one.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with public transportation to any of these locations? Specifically, I'm interested in knowing if there is a bus or other transportation option that could take me to one of the birding spots mentioned in this thread.

I'll probably only have one day off, so I want to make the most of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Birding in the area without a car is difficult. The best option would be to hire a local guide for your day birding although this would be fairly expensive. Unfortunately, most of the sites I've mentioned in this thread would be difficult & very time consuming to reach on public transport from Cadiz city. Reaching mountains/woodland/fresh marshes haitats would be very problematical. However, Cadiz itself is surrounded by salinas which should hold waders (although passage will be largely over the area will still hold Bw Stilt, Avocet & Kentish Plover), gulls (Auduin's Gull should be possible) and terns. My detailed guide (from which the map below comes) should give you some ideas but Punta del Boqueron (15.3) & Tres Amigos sendero (15.1) (both near San Fernando) and Los Toruños & Pinar de La Algaida (14.5) come to mind as all should be accessible via a combination of train/tram/bus. There are also other sites nearer Chiclana that could be accessible via tram/bus. Rather than go through a list I suggest you PM me with your email address so that I can send you my detailed guide (it's free but donations to charity are welcome) which describes the sites mentioned in detail (although you'll have to check out the public transport options - although note that my map doesn't show the new tramline to Chiclana)

whilst the internet should help with transport options. 1683669699523.png

Thank you for your detailed response!
I appreciate your suggestions and understanding that birding without a car can be challenging in the area.
So far, I had come across a train to 15.1 / 15.2, which seemed like a good option for me if I couldn't find other suggestions.
I will definitely send you a PM. Thank you again!

Finding Pin-tailed Sandgrouse in Cadiz Province

For an embarrassingly long time, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse was something of a 'bogey bird' for me in Cadiz Province although my chagrin at failing to find them was somewhat alleviated by the fact that other birders far more skilled than me also found them tricky. However, I think I’ve now cracked it as this year I’ve seen them six times in a row, mostly within 5-10 minutes of my arrival. So where to look for this iconic species? My map shows four areas worth checking (although I must confess I’ve found them regularly at only one of these locations).1684338807695.png

Two tracks converge on an area of reportedly particularly good sandgrouse habitat (GPS 36.8226, -6.2671) a couple of km north of the A 471. The first track (i) leaves the A 471 at GPS 36.7774 -6.2774 but I’ve found the latter part of the track along a channel is in poor condition. Entering via the second track (ii) at GPS 36.7948, -6.26028 is both more direct and the track in better condition (although you still need to be careful negotiating the puddles and corrugations). I have explored this area a number of times (albeit not always at the optimum time of day) and it certainly looks very good but have never got lucky. However, other birders have been more fortunate, and the area is worth visiting for other good species including, depending on season and rainfall, large numbers of egrets, Glossy Ibis and waders (inc. stints, Ruff, stilts, Golden Plovers), a variety of raptors (inc. Montagu’s Harrier, Short-toed Eagle, etc), short-toed and Calandra Larks.

A third track along the A 471 next to “Trebujena Motorland” (iii - GPS 36.8365, -6.2065) is also worth a closer inspection as it also offers good views across suitable habitat. When there’s standing water here then you can see hundreds of egrets and Glossy Ibis – wonderful sight. I’ve visited the area several times and had many good birds here … except, of course sandgrouse. In spring 2022 after an enforced absence for a number of years, tracking down this elusive bird was a priority. Hence I confess I was somewhat miffed when a keen Dutch birder to whom I gave details this site popped along the following morning and, on his first attempt, saw several sandgrouse (both in flight and on the ground). Naturally, when I looked there at dawn the following morning, I saw none at all, but my efforts were rewarded by finding a handsome Great-spotted Cuckoo. My catalogue of failure, however, lasted less than an hour when I checked the Adventus track (iv – GPS 36.8862, -6.2202). (Note the finca here is variously called the Cortjo Alventus or Cortijo de Adventus). Stopping 200m along the track to scan the marismas, I saw a small group in the distance and then had a couple of Pin-tailed Sandgrouse fly over my head (see May 2022 Update VII - Trebujena Area - going gaga or going gaaa-gaaa?). Somewhat to my surprise, I managed to repeat this feat at the same site the following autumn when I managed to show them to an old friend at the same location.

This spring keen to check whether my sudden success was a fluke, I visited the Adventus track half-a-dozen times. To my great satisfaction, I saw Pin-tailed Sandgrouse every time including several small flocks (up to 9 birds) and probably had a group of c20 birds too. The latter were rapidly scuttling across the horizon as I got out of the car so it’s hard to be 100% certain. Not only that but on three of those occasions birds flew over the track itself. What made the experience still sweeter was that on those three visits where the birds flew over nearby, I was able to show them to four friends for whom they were lifers and a fifth who had never seen them before in Andalucía.
1684338482737.png
My winning strategy has been to get to the Adventus track as early as possible as that’s when when the birds are more active and the heat haze less of a problem. I then drive 200-300m along the track, stop and methodically scan the extensive marismas to the west. (Note that after rain this track can become dangerously slippery and driving along it is then inadvisable). In this way, I’ve repeatedly found groups of sandgrouse flying fast and low over the marismas with some pitching down towards the Guadalquivir, others disappearing into cover near the small reserve and others continuing well into the distance. The birds, of course, know my strategy which is why the birds that came close to the track were all trying to sneak past behind me! A word of warning is needed though. Somewhat surprisingly, on all my recent visits there have been large numbers of Grey Plovers (in various plumages) doing pretty much the same thing and, less surprisingly, I’ve seen Golden Plover nearby in the past. Plovers can superficially resemble sandgrouse in flight but with a decent view there shouldn’t be a problem. However, they do constitute ornithological ‘white noise’ that can distract and make it easier for the target birds to slip through unnoticed! Even when the sandgrouse aren’t being obliging there’s still plenty to see – Little Owl, Glossy Ibis, Calandra Larks, raptors, etc.

It’s well worth exploring further along the track where, after c3 km, a handsome ceramic sign tells you that you’ve reached the Marisma de las Vetas. That it’s decorated with an illustration of Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, is useful confirmation that you’re in the right place. Since by the time I reach this point it’s later in the day and I’ve probably already seen sandgrouse, I’ve not spent long looking here but the sign suggests it’s worth it. Besides, the ditches here conceal a good variety of herons (I’ve had all three egrets, Grey, Purple, Night and Squacco here) and when flooded with shallow water (a rare circumstance in recent years) it attracts large numbers of Glossy Ibis and waders. Here the track bends to the left to continue all the way to Trebujena (c5 km). This route would certainly be worth exploring further as sandgrouse-friendly habitat continues until it reaches the low hill on which Trebujena stands whereupon good Rufous Bushchat habitat takes over. However, the condition of the track quickly deteriorates from this point on so it’s probably better to explore on foot. If arriving from Trebujena this track starts at GPS 36.8688, -6.1799 (v) next to the far end of Parque La Toya. If you do explore this area, then feedback would be very useful as I’ve only done so a couple of times and even then fairly briefly (there are too many good sites here!).
1684338554748.png
Assuming you don’t risk this route and you return the way you came along the Adventus track when you reach the road down to the Guadalquivir turn left and park near the ruined tourist development (Chozas Marismeñas). From here you have a good view across more dry halophytic vegetation. If the reserve here is open (it rarely seems to be) then a still better spot would be the small tower in its southern corner. Similarly scanning from the Carretera del Práctico along the Guadalquivir near the reserve could pay dividends. Personally, I’ve never seen sandgrouse from either location largely because I've not tried too hard to do so, but others have and some of the birds I have seen from Adventus track wappeared drop down into that area.

A final word. I remain somewhat puzzled why I managed to miss this species in this area for so long. I’m willing to accept that it might be sheer incompetence but, that said, I’ve regularly picked them up here before some of the excellent birders who’ve come with me to search for them and back in the day my hearing was up to detecting their calls at much greater range. The fact is that the birds seem to cover an enormous area as I've picked them up as dots on the western horizon, followed them as they rocketed past and then lost them again as they reverted to dots on the eastern horizon. Perhaps, the alarming desiccation of the Coto Doñana has pushed more birds across the river or maybe, more optimistically, that process has increased the species’ population which is now overflowing across the Guadalquivir.

NB -For more photos & a longer, more discursive account of the trials and tribulations of finding sandgrouse see my blog on Cadiz Province (for details see footer).

Finding Pin-tailed Sandgrouse in Cadiz Province

For an embarrassingly long time, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse was something of a 'bogey bird' for me in Cadiz Province although my chagrin at failing to find them was somewhat alleviated by the fact that other birders far more skilled than me also found them tricky. However, I think I’ve now cracked it as this year I’ve seen them six times in a row, mostly within 5-10 minutes of my arrival. So where to look for this iconic species? My map shows four areas worth checking (although I must confess I’ve found them regularly at only one of these locations).View attachment 1510492

Two tracks converge on an area of reportedly particularly good sandgrouse habitat (GPS 36.8226, -6.2671) a couple of km north of the A 471. The first track (i) leaves the A 471 at GPS 36.7774 -6.2774 but I’ve found the latter part of the track along a channel is in poor condition. Entering via the second track (ii) at GPS 36.7948, -6.26028 is both more direct and the track in better condition (although you still need to be careful negotiating the puddles and corrugations). I have explored this area a number of times (albeit not always at the optimum time of day) and it certainly looks very good but have never got lucky. However, other birders have been more fortunate, and the area is worth visiting for other good species including, depending on season and rainfall, large numbers of egrets, Glossy Ibis and waders (inc. stints, Ruff, stilts, Golden Plovers), a variety of raptors (inc. Montagu’s Harrier, Short-toed Eagle, etc), short-toed and Calandra Larks.

A third track along the A 471 next to “Trebujena Motorland” (iii - GPS 36.8365, -6.2065) is also worth a closer inspection as it also offers good views across suitable habitat. When there’s standing water here then you can see hundreds of egrets and Glossy Ibis – wonderful sight. I’ve visited the area several times and had many good birds here … except, of course sandgrouse. In spring 2022 after an enforced absence for a number of years, tracking down this elusive bird was a priority. Hence I confess I was somewhat miffed when a keen Dutch birder to whom I gave details this site popped along the following morning and, on his first attempt, saw several sandgrouse (both in flight and on the ground). Naturally, when I looked there at dawn the following morning, I saw none at all, but my efforts were rewarded by finding a handsome Great-spotted Cuckoo. My catalogue of failure, however, lasted less than an hour when I checked the Adventus track (iv – GPS 36.8862, -6.2202). (Note the finca here is variously called the Cortjo Alventus or Cortijo de Adventus). Stopping 200m along the track to scan the marismas, I saw a small group in the distance and then had a couple of Pin-tailed Sandgrouse fly over my head (see May 2022 Update VII - Trebujena Area - going gaga or going gaaa-gaaa?). Somewhat to my surprise, I managed to repeat this feat at the same site the following autumn when I managed to show them to an old friend at the same location.

This spring keen to check whether my sudden success was a fluke, I visited the Adventus track half-a-dozen times. To my great satisfaction, I saw Pin-tailed Sandgrouse every time including several small flocks (up to 9 birds) and probably had a group of c20 birds too. The latter were rapidly scuttling across the horizon as I got out of the car so it’s hard to be 100% certain. Not only that but on three of those occasions birds flew over the track itself. What made the experience still sweeter was that on those three visits where the birds flew over nearby, I was able to show them to four friends for whom they were lifers and a fifth who had never seen them before in Andalucía.
View attachment 1510489
My winning strategy has been to get to the Adventus track as early as possible as that’s when when the birds are more active and the heat haze less of a problem. I then drive 200-300m along the track, stop and methodically scan the extensive marismas to the west. (Note that after rain this track can become dangerously slippery and driving along it is then inadvisable). In this way, I’ve repeatedly found groups of sandgrouse flying fast and low over the marismas with some pitching down towards the Guadalquivir, others disappearing into cover near the small reserve and others continuing well into the distance. The birds, of course, know my strategy which is why the birds that came close to the track were all trying to sneak past behind me! A word of warning is needed though. Somewhat surprisingly, on all my recent visits there have been large numbers of Grey Plovers (in various plumages) doing pretty much the same thing and, less surprisingly, I’ve seen Golden Plover nearby in the past. Plovers can superficially resemble sandgrouse in flight but with a decent view there shouldn’t be a problem. However, they do constitute ornithological ‘white noise’ that can distract and make it easier for the target birds to slip through unnoticed! Even when the sandgrouse aren’t being obliging there’s still plenty to see – Little Owl, Glossy Ibis, Calandra Larks, raptors, etc.

It’s well worth exploring further along the track where, after c3 km, a handsome ceramic sign tells you that you’ve reached the Marisma de las Vetas. That it’s decorated with an illustration of Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, is useful confirmation that you’re in the right place. Since by the time I reach this point it’s later in the day and I’ve probably already seen sandgrouse, I’ve not spent long looking here but the sign suggests it’s worth it. Besides, the ditches here conceal a good variety of herons (I’ve had all three egrets, Grey, Purple, Night and Squacco here) and when flooded with shallow water (a rare circumstance in recent years) it attracts large numbers of Glossy Ibis and waders. Here the track bends to the left to continue all the way to Trebujena (c5 km). This route would certainly be worth exploring further as sandgrouse-friendly habitat continues until it reaches the low hill on which Trebujena stands whereupon good Rufous Bushchat habitat takes over. However, the condition of the track quickly deteriorates from this point on so it’s probably better to explore on foot. If arriving from Trebujena this track starts at GPS 36.8688, -6.1799 (v) next to the far end of Parque La Toya. If you do explore this area, then feedback would be very useful as I’ve only done so a couple of times and even then fairly briefly (there are too many good sites here!).
View attachment 1510490
Assuming you don’t risk this route and you return the way you came along the Adventus track when you reach the road down to the Guadalquivir turn left and park near the ruined tourist development (Chozas Marismeñas). From here you have a good view across more dry halophytic vegetation. If the reserve here is open (it rarely seems to be) then a still better spot would be the small tower in its southern corner. Similarly scanning from the Carretera del Práctico along the Guadalquivir near the reserve could pay dividends. Personally, I’ve never seen sandgrouse from either location largely because I've not tried too hard to do so, but others have and some of the birds I have seen from Adventus track wappeared drop down into that area.

A final word. I remain somewhat puzzled why I managed to miss this species in this area for so long. I’m willing to accept that it might be sheer incompetence but, that said, I’ve regularly picked them up here before some of the excellent birders who’ve come with me to search for them and back in the day my hearing was up to detecting their calls at much greater range. The fact is that the birds seem to cover an enormous area as I've picked them up as dots on the western horizon, followed them as they rocketed past and then lost them again as they reverted to dots on the eastern horizon. Perhaps, the alarming desiccation of the Coto Doñana has pushed more birds across the river or maybe, more optimistically, that process has increased the species’ population which is now overflowing across the Guadalquivir.

NB -For more photos & a longer, more discursive account of the trials and tribulations of finding sandgrouse see my blog on Cadiz Province (for details see footer).
Please fix your footer. One link is not easily accessible due problems with codes/colors etc
cheers

By way of confirmation, John (as if it were needed), these are the three sandgrouse you spotted on 1st May as they tried to sneak past behind me unnoticed. ;)

Attachments

• Pin-tailed-Sandgrouse-(5)-fbook.jpg
    Pin-tailed-Sandgrouse-(5)-fbook.jpg
    662.6 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back