• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Etiquette? (1 Viewer)

cuffbertt

Afternoon everyone,

I’ve only been interested in watching birds for a few weeks, but so far I’m really loving it. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for bird watching etiquette? I was in a small hide in an RSPB reserve near to my house (in Somerset) a few days ago and I heard someone mutter under their breath about the noise that my camera makes (which was amusing as I must have taken one photo every few minutes, and this guy was talking loudly all the time!). I’ve also been reading on this forum and have seen that it’s best to keep camera lenses etc inside the hide and not poke them out of the window and scare the birds away.

Basically I’m just after some tips or rules on what to do/not do when around birders or in hides? I’d hate to do something which I think to be innocent and normal, and ruin someone elses bird watching day out through my inexperience!

Thanks!

Common sense really. Would definately say don't poke cameras through the window!

But camera noise is a tricky one. The expensive DSLRs popular with birders make a lot of noise when they are firing away in burst mode and I'm sure it annoys non-photographers

Using a camera in a hide should not be a problem as long as you have turned off all the beeps and its just the shutter sound that is heard,

You've a right to be there, and shutter noise shouldn't be disturbing to birds. Just don't hog the seats if it gets busy ;)

I like that. Just use common sense and you'll be find.

Birds have incredible eyesight and know that we are they long before we spot them.
If I don't startle them and keep my distance, they usually go on about their business
without acknowledging me.

This is a good place to mention that some quirky people don't like to have long camera lenses pointed at them, firearms fashion. This usually happens accidentally of course. Places like Point Pelee can be a war zone.

Just keep the lens inside the hide, try and turn off as many of the beeps and stuff as you can ( there is no real need for the shutter noise built into digital cameras, it's just there to let you know you've taken a photo :eek!: ) and enjoy yourself and your birding. You'll always find some person that will take exception to whatever your doing so practice developing a Zen like calm and try to ignore them. The only exception, I'd say, is with taking photos of large numbers of birds trying to roost. Take photos of the flock, and, if they come close, the individual birds, but try not to 'stalk' them.

Chris

As a photographer myself, the biggest annoyance I have with other photogs is some have decided their photo opportunity is more important than someone who is merely observing. Some things to bear in mind:
You have no right to the best seat
Tripods are bulky, so if it is crowded sacrifice stability and narrow the legs
Silence the camera
Don't take a photo as soon as the bird arrives, give it time to settle and gain confidence
Try to avoid taking barrages of photos
Don't use flash. I know I don't enjoy having flash go off in front of me, and birds have much wider vision. That's a big debate, though.

Generally, if you go in as a nature lover who uses a camera rather someone who needs to get 'that' shot, you'll be fine. But there are too many selfish and inconsiderate photogs so don't be surprised if you are treated with suspicion.

( there is no real need for the shutter noise built into digital cameras, it's just there to let you know you've taken a photo :eek!: )
Chris

Chris,
most DSLRs that I've seen make a physical noise from the mirror movement in the camera which can't be silenced. Other beeps and whizzes can of course but from some of the anti-camera folk, I think it's often the former they complain about and unless you have an electronic shutter, you will find it difficult to silence as imagined.

I know a guy that sets his camera to max-beeping though just to try to silence the inane rabbiting from within the hide ;)

I think we should make a distinction between being 'anti-camera' and 'anti-antisocial photographer'.

Even with all the beeps and alarms turned off, the shutter itself is often quite loud, and continuous firing can begin to wear thin after a while... It's not uncommon that photographers will just hold down the button and blast away...

Bird takes off... "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!"
Bird lands... "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!"
Bird does any kind of 'behaviour'... "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Multiply that by just a few photographers and a peaceful day's birding is shattered.

By all means take photos, but surely it's not necessary to have 50 of each

Perhaps it's worth remembering that great American photographer William Eggelston only ever takes one shot because, he says, he wouldn't be able to decide which one to use otherwise!!!

One thing to add is the first person to a location has priority. If a birder is in the hide first, you should be a little subtle about invading their space. Be sure you do nothing to spook the birds. And use a little more discretion about space - I don't like a shutter from another going off in my ear. :)

If you are first to the location, you need to anticipate others will be there shortly. While you have priority for your ideal viewing position, you still need to allow room for others. A monopod can be better than a tripod on some hides.

There are grumpy photographers and grumpy birders. Nothing you can do will change that. Typically a photographer will spend more time in a specific location so its okay to wait.

For photos, after I get a quick record shot I'm looking for a quality image. Background is very important. Head position is very important. And I ideally want a catchlight in the eye. And I want the light generally over a shoulder at a 30-60 degree angle. There are plenty of hides that don't offer great photo opportunities so be selective and learn the difference.

I don't normally see any reaction from birds to flash. If you see a reaction, don't use a flash.

There isn't a shutter noise built into digital cameras - the movement of the mirror in the camera is a mechanical action, and is where the 'clicking' noise comes from.

cheers
martin

...( there is no real need for the shutter noise built into digital cameras, it's just there to let you know you've taken a photo :eek!: )

I too experienced the silent wrath of other birders with my camera in my first few outings watching for cyanerpes variants. I was made to feel like a tortfeasor or master noisemaker even though I considered it to be silent and unobtrusive. I have since realised that tolerance levels from one person to the next are very different and it is the individual, not the opinion of the community that I need to consider, but not necessarily accomodate if my levels of sound are not bothering others.
I would say to go out and enjoy yourself but be prepared for the 1 in 10 that will just plain disagree with you using a camera altogether!

Last edited:
By all means take photos, but surely it's not necessary to have 50 of each

Perhaps it's worth remembering that great American photographer William Eggelston only ever takes one shot because, he says, he wouldn't be able to decide which one to use otherwise!!!

Well I think this demonstrates that technology provides for greater results than ever before and increases the chances of that perfect pose with eye catch-light. Lazy photography? Perhaps. Would I want to return to single shot slide photography? No.

I took to shooting Swift in flight the other evening and lighting conditions were challenging. I probably took 200-300 images and ended up with 2-3 keepers but wasn't in a hide so didn't give cause to p1ss anyone off for interupting their quiet, social gathering . If I'd simply taken 2 or 3 single shots then I'd have certainly ended up with none. Having said this, if I were in a hide with a reasonably static subject, I think 8fps would be somewhat unnecsssary.

Myself and my wife visited Brandon Marsh this afternoon and entered six of the seven hides (we never found the seventh).

Whilst all was very quiet, and folks whispering, things seemed to loosen up a bit after a few minutes. Once it became known that we were novice birders, they all "opened up" and were extremely helpful. One guy took us to an adjacent hide to show us a bird.

It seems to me that common sense is what should and does prevail - just be courteous of others really.

I'm sure that sometimes some people just want to be upset by someone else and will invent a reason. Just to show their superior nature.

Just thought a question for all, have you noticed the upsurge in people joining the hobby ? Isn't this primarily because of the digital age, digiscoping and photographs. I think a poll at your local haunt will see that the majority of bird watchers are photographers. On the matter of lens' sticking out of the hides don't scopes do the same? Live and let live that's my stance

Chrisp

I normally observe on my own, and have done for many years this weekend I shared my expeditions with a close friend I had no idea how difficult it could be let alone being within a small group I am going back to my lonely 5 hour solitary walks at 7000 feet|:D|

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back