• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stupid Question... (1 Viewer)

Srf

England
I wish to get started watching birds and getting to know what birds they are. I intend to start with identifying the birds in my garden. Cab someone give me some tips on what i need to get started. I thought about getting a small powerful hand held digital camera to enable me to record the birds then identfiy them from there. Any tips welcome...

First off there's no "stupid questions" here! Just questions you're seeking the answers to.

Starting with your garden birds is a great idea, as is taking pictures of them so you can study them. Don't get too bogged down with the colours, concentrate on the type of bill first.

What I found helpful, too, was looking at pictures in the Gallery and trying to identify them before looking at the captions. Also doing the same in the ID forum.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum (How Opus can help you): How Opus Can Help You , which you might want to read too.

firstly welcome

a basic fieldguide will help you understand the birds that occur in your garden a camera is definatley a help and good idea

a feeding area with different food can help

good luck and enjoy

There is a computer program for apple products that will help. I don’t know when or if they plan on an android/windows version. The program is by Cornell labs and is called Merlin bird ID. You can either use it by itself like a bird book or put in a picture you have taken and have it identify the bird for you. There are bird ”packs” that have birds from different areas and most countries. It may nail the ID first try but it usually gives you several choices. I have been amazed at how well it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back