• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (9 Viewers)

We are currently staying up on the La Finca Golf Club in a rental property. Balearic Shearwater are currently being seen, in small numbers, off Guardamar Lighthouse/Faro de Guardamar. A male Surf Scoter has been at the site for c. two months but I was unlucky on my visit earlier in the week. Double figure counts of Razorbill are to be had plus easy enough sightings of Gannet, Slender-billed Gull and Audouin’s Gull. Recent sightings also include Common Scoter and European (Mediterranean) Storm Petrel, so a decent site.

With regard to La Finca Golf Course, does anyone have any further info on the Eagle Owl pair?
No. I haven't heard any reports of these owls for a long time. The only time I've seen this owl in the area was at El Hondo, when its appearance surprised a lot of people. I think your best bet is to visit the mountains north of Crevillent and explore the valleys (Bonelli's eagle also present there)

Thanks for that condor. I did get up into the mountains north of Crevillent and one of the Bonelli’s Eagles showed after only 15 minutes. Also there were around 6 Red-billed Chough and 2 Blue Rock Thrush. My wife, who isn’t a birder, was with me so I only stayed for half an hour. 🙄

Thanks for that condor. I did get up into the mountains north of Crevillent and one of the Bonelli’s Eagles showed after only 15 minutes. Also there were around 6 Red-billed Chough and 2 Blue Rock Thrush. My wife, who isn’t a birder, was with me so I only stayed for half an hour. 🙄
I saw your report on eBird, nice!
Also, I highly recommend Los Montesinos. The shores of the lake south of this settlement have a very large Montagu's harrier colony. There are Iberian magpies in Los Balcones, but they can be tricky to find- they are up one of the roads leading to the south shore of the lake, all I can remember. Introduced yellow-collared lovebirds present, too.
In Clot de Galvany you can have very close views of marbled and white-headed ducks, and at the Ermita de San Francisco de Asis, today there was a massive "dogfight" between a pair of great spotted cuckoos all over the place, with one of them perching extremely close to me afterwards.
For further locations, Alcoy-Barranc del Sinc for griffon vultures and Corral-Rubio near Almansa for great bustard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back