• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Playa De Muro Majorca (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
Hi, I am planning my birding holiday for May 2023 in Majorca. We have opted for Playa De Muro staying at the Eix Lagotel for three weeks. We have never been birding in Majorca before. We normally go to the Algarve. Has anyone ever stayed in this area and or hotel? Are there any other birding areas in the area we should know about? Maybe we will hire a car but not definite yet. Are Collared Pratincole likely to be seen here? I would love to see someone's birding list for the area.

I stayed near there last spring but not in the same hotel. It's obviously next to the Albufera reserve, which is excellent for birding. I saw Collared Pratincole at the Depuradora, which is at the other end of Albufera. They can turn up elsewhere on the reserve too. It will be worth hiring a car if you want to see a wider range of birds (e.g. in the mountains or some other wetland sites) but Albufera should keep you reasonably busy. It's worth checking the regular Mallorca thread for further information or to ask for advice.

I stayed In this Hotel around 8 years ago and It has been upgraded since then.It was nice back then,so It should be even better now.It Is In a perfect location for Albufera Reserve and after your first visit,you shall pick up a Permit,which shall allow you access at anytime of the day.
This was perfect for early morning visits,before the heat of the day makes things a tad uncomfortable.There are plenty of other good area's nearbye for birding,such as Albufereta and Maristany which are easily reached by the local bus service to Puerto Pollenca but the other prime sites on the Island,open up If you hire a car.

Hi, I am planning my birding holiday for May 2023 in Majorca. We have opted for Playa De Muro staying at the Eix Lagotel for three weeks. We have never been birding in Majorca before. We normally go to the Algarve. Has anyone ever stayed in this area and or hotel? Are there any other birding areas in the area we should know about? Maybe we will hire a car but not definite yet. Are Collared Pratincole likely to be seen here? I would love to see someone's birding list for the area.
We stayed here in 2019 With elderly parents so not really a birding holiday. Nice hotel. We asked for a room facing the reserve so did birding from the balcony. There is a free bus to the main road for buses although it is walkable. Plenty of buses to Albufera Reserve and puerto pollenca, as mentioned, for bouquer valley. Would go again.

We have just returned from Mallorca on saturday.Found the book Birding Tourists Guide to Mallorca very helpful.We also booked a local professional guide called Pere Tomas of Mallorca Natural Tours as we had never been to Mallorca.Highly recomend him.

We have just returned from Mallorca on saturday.Found the book Birding Tourists Guide to Mallorca very helpful.We also booked a local professional guide called Pere Tomas of Mallorca Natural Tours as we had never been to Mallorca.Highly recomend him.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back