• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Anglesey - 7th April, 2009 (1 Viewer)

Chewbaxter

Reformed "Bird Ignorer"!
Birding In Anglesey - 7th April, 2009

Here's the story.

Well what a day - up at 05:15. Made a flask of tea (well... I didn't make the flask, that was there already - but I did prepare the tea and filled the flask with it). Set off just after 06:00 - got some petrol, then some essential caffeine (bottle of coke) - then SatNav all set, off I went.

Got there no problems... well, except for one incident where the SatNav decided I was in the middle of the sea(!) so I just switched it off and on again, and there I was back on the 'A' road.

So first I went to South Stack - the RSPB Information Centre was closed, so I decided to have a mooch up the cliffs for a while, and over to the lighthouse.

Numerous steps led me to the lighthouse which was also locked up - so a steep climb back again (all this whilst carrying my scope, bins, tripod, camera etc. either over shoulder or in my sportsbag).

Saw plenty Hering Gull and Lesser Black-backed Gull - but nought else.

On my way back, I saw people going to open up the lighthouse... but I was knackered, so back I went to the Information Centre.

At the side of it looking over the cliff to the water below where two chaps with 'scopes - I said 'howdo' and got chatting, and they kindly pointed out a Razorbill to me - I got my 'cope set up and saw it - great stuff!

Then some Fulmar which were nesting on the cliffs - magic.

Then - tragic!

My ruddy 'scope fell over (cheap tripod I blame) and the 'mount' on the thing snapped!

Luckily it was a clean break, and the scope lenses etc. were intact, so not to worry.

The two blokes asked me if it was okay, and I told them it would be a doddle to fix and thanks for asking.

Then, almost nonchalently one said:
"Oh - there's a Puffin down there."

Now... I've been desperate to see one of these birds 'for real' - seen them on ducumentaries etc. and they fascinate me - and, it was my whole reason for having this day trip in the first place!

So... the chap set his 'scope for me to see when I asked him and...

It'd moved out of vision.

So his mate located it, I quickly dashed over to view and...

Nothing.

BUT...

Third time lucky and there was this wee black & white 'tennis ball' of a thing bobbing up and down in the water... and once I'd focussed in on it, I could clearly make it out - a Puffin indeed!

And then - another one flew into view and landed next to it! Excellent stuff!

Shortly after, three Guillemot were on the water - again, one of the gents kindly let me get a closer view through his 'scope (mine cowering in the sportsbag awaiting surgery at the time) - great sight to see!

I thanked the two fellers for their help and how chuffed I was to have seen my first Puffins - speaking of 'chuffed' - they told me that there were also Choughs in the area, although I hadn't seen - which is a pity - but they said they were pleased for me re: the PUffin thing (see? Birdwathcers ARE nice people!).

I then went into the visitors centre, and still overflowing with enthusiasm, told the two RSPB girls working there - they wrote down the Puffins in the 'sighting' register.

Had a good natter about where I'd come from and what I'd seen/what we get in Lancashire - including birds at Martin Mere such as Avocet, Hooper Swan, Marsh Harrier etc.

One girl showed me a live cam. they'd got set up showing inside part of the cliff where a Chough was nesting and kept bringing in materials - nothing seen whilst I was there, but interesting all the same.

Before I came away I saw a Carrion Crow mobbing a Lesser Black-backed Gull - at one point it was flying 'on its back' as it attacked - the other bird soon scarpered!

Then went on to Beaumaris as I was hoping to go to Puffin Island - alas, the chap running the cruises wasn't there today - a lady in he shop on the pier told me... she added that the sea would've been too rough anyhow.

Whilst there I went and bought myself some superglue - got the mount on the 'scope mended a.s.a.p. - and, I have to say, I'm hapy to report that it's (almost) as good as new - next time, I'll make sure to keep a tight grip on the ruddy tripod! :D

I went back to the pier and sea front - whilst there I saw some Jackdaw and a plenty Herring Gull - the latter I got some pretty decent photos of, which I'll post in the Gallery section when I get chance!

I recorded some of this on my mobile to include for my next 'live' Birdpod... alas, the battery went on my 'phone (don't know where it went to, but it wasn't for coming back) - so a good chunk of it didn't get done - but in the spirit of keeping it real - I'll nip out with my dogs in the next couple of days and finish it off - I'm not doing an 'in the studio' one for this week.

In total - more than 5 hours driving time, over 200 miles travelled - came home knackered!

Was it worth it?

Well - what do you think?

:)

Neil.

Good on you, a wonderful day!
Puffin would be a lifer for me as well.
Would not trust a superglue mending on anything that gets stress while wet and cold.
A clamp is unsightly, but you're much safer.
Where do you go next? Keep us posted, please.

Thanks etudiant!

Probably next for me will just be around my local area (NorthWest England) - I took a special trip out because I had the week off work.

May have to go back again when there'll be more birds - maybe in a month's time or so - I'll also have another look for the Chough too.

:)

Neil.

The drive had to be worth it, there isn't a nicer part of Wales. Anyway after you went through the road tunnel at Penmaenmawr if you look to the right there is a brilliant view of Puffin island.

Glad you had a good time. Try and get back in September, seawatching can be superb from the headland behind the nuclear power station at Camaes bay.

It's good to have such memorable days, even when there's the odd disasters thrown in, but the first sighting of a puffin is a great one. As being from Lancashire too, we went in search last year and had a fantastic weekend at seahouses and took a boat trip to Farne Island which was fantastic for Puffins and well worth a trip (even with a speeding ticket thrown in)

lol, I wouldn't want the speeing ticket though!

The drive certainly was worth it - as a Community Nurse I spend a lot of time driving in my job, but to go somewhere away from the local area and driving for the pleasure of it - well, you can't beat it.

As to the scope - working A1 - thank Gawd!

I'm happy just to have seen the Puffins - a bird I've always wanted to see.

Neil.

lol, I wouldn't want the speeing ticket though!

The drive certainly was worth it - as a Community Nurse I spend a lot of time driving in my job, but to go somewhere away from the local area and driving for the pleasure of it - well, you can't beat it.

As to the scope - working A1 - thank Gawd!

I'm happy just to have seen the Puffins - a bird I've always wanted to see.

Neil.

I spent some time at South Stack again today, and I was amazed at how different it was to last week. There were good numbers of Guillemots and Razorbills on the cliffs, whereas just seven days ago I didn't see a single bird on the cliffs. I saw about 20 Puffins, all on the sea. No migrants at all today.

Attached is a shot of some Guillemots (dark grey) and a few Razorbills (black) from South Stack. Also, I've attached a photo of Newborough Warren, coz it's just such a great place. Is there a more beautiful beach anywhere in the World??

Attachments

• southstack1.jpg
    southstack1.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 68
  • newborough.jpg
    newborough.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 82
Excellent stuff - cheers for sharing Colin!

Apologies for late reply - my comp. died and I've only recently got back online.

Great photos by the way!

Neil.

Sounds like a good day out, apart from the scope prob of course! I'm planning a trip to SStack prob next week, might include a detour to see the ospreys nesting near porthmadog as well, will be a gorgeous drive down thro Snowdonia!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back