• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Bosnia & Herzegovina (1 Viewer)

GrumpyEagle

I have been working in Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina since 3 September and have been birding as often as possible. Bosnia seems to be uncharted territory for most birders, so here are some details of my birding in this country.

The weekend before last I went birding with Brane, a Bosnian Serb friend who is a keen ornithologist and has been birding in BiH for around 30 years. On Saturday we went to Bardaca, a reserve in the north of the country, which has a number of lakes, three small rivers and small areas of woodland (+ lies close to 2 major rivers). This was my first experience of birding in the snow, which was often very heavy. Brane was amazed at the lack of ducks, other than numerous mallards there were only very small numbers of gadwall, teal, shoveler and goldeneye. The only waders were a few green sandpipers, snipes, one lapwing and a flock of curlew. This was also unusual, more waders were expected. However, there were a number of highlights – three new species for me (2 white-tailed eagles, some red-necked grebes and a tree full of long-eared owls) as well as fantastic close up views of a great grey shrike, vole in beak, 3 spoonbill, at least 10 kingfishers, around 300 great white egrets, around 500 grey herons, a few pygmy cormorants and a beautiful male hen harrier, my first, having seen only females in the past (at Elmley). The day yielded 51 species in total.

Bardaca is an excellent habitat, but sadly hunting is permitted. I was unable to look at the hunters without wishing them all sorts of misfortune. I believe there are plans to turn Bardaca into a ‘proper’ nature reserve, i.e. banning hunting in the hope that wildlife enthusiasts from around Europe will visit. I hope this happens sooner rather than later and if it does, would strongly recommend a visit to any birders who have not visited the region.

On Sunday, we went to Pliva Lake. Again I managed three ticks, although would have struggled to have identified any of them if it weren’t for my far more experienced and knowledgeable companion. These were short-toed treecreeper, water pipit and black-necked diver. There was a pair of the latter, showing extremely well on the lake, the best view my friend had ever had of the species. There were many black redstarts, very common in BiH, but fantastic little birds. Also abundant were marsh tits, lovely birds and dippers, a species I have only ever seen in BiH and once in Scotland (despite plenty of looking in Cumbria) and never tire of watching. We were lucky enough to have brilliant views of a middle-spotted woodpecker and also saw a black-necked grebe, a few siskin, at least 50 little grebes, a single brambling and another cormorant. My friend could not believe his eyes when we saw a (male) blackcap, unheard of at this time of year. He would have said it was impossible until we came face to face with it! Ducks were again conspicuous by their absence, only a few mallards, one ferruginous duck and 3 pochard. After leaving the lake, we stopped at a site nearby where I was promised a good chance of hawfinch. Indeed there were several of the species, albeit in flight, but it rounded off an excellent weekend’s birding. 42 species on Sunday, a total of 71 for the weekend.

Previous trips have also come up with some interesting species, including a further 9 ticks, listed below by location:

Blagaj/Stjepan Grad – Goshawk, probably rock bunting, red-backed shrike, crag martin, rock nuthatch (latter two species both ticks for me)
Jahorina mountain – Willow tit, wheatear, raven, buzzard, black redstart, nutcracker (latter two species both ticks)
Hutovo Blato – middle spotted woodpecker, ferruginous duck, woodchat shrike (all ticks)
Lisina mountain – siskin, black redstart, buzzard, golden eagle, crested tit (latter two species both ticks)
Vlašić mountain – yellowhammer, coal tit, plus one tick – crossbill at last!
Wood Warblers are also common in the centre of Sarajevo, hence it was a tick for me on my first weekend here.

And finally, last weekend I visited Park Vrelo Bosne at Ilidža, only half an hour from Sarajevo. As it was a cold morning, there were few people around, but plenty of birds seen with very little effort, including nuthatches, treecreepers (probably short-toed) a middle-spotted woodpecker, I think both willow and marsh tits, plus with a bit more patience a number of bramblings, one spectacular male bullfinch, a great close-up of a hawfinch, plus one species that I could not identify:

The bird was sitting on a high branch of a tall tree. It was a similar size and shape to a cuckoo, which was my first thought when I saw it. Of course, the time of year precludes that species, but nothing else seems close. It sat in the tree for several minutes before flying off out of sight and made no noise. The bird was probably around 30cm, but it was difficult to judge size due to the distance. It was mostly grey, the breast was grey with a white stripe across it, about one third of the way down. Above the stripe was grey with black markings, below the stripe was grey. The beak seemed quite small, thin and pointed, similar to a cuckoo or thrush, the tail was quite long and thin and I think it had a slight fork. I’m stumped, as is Brane from the description - any suggestions welcome! (I have also posted this question elsewhere on Birdforum.)

I went to Hutavo Blato in August 2005 and it was scorching hot! The best birds were massive flocks of Bee-eaters, a few Pygmy Cormorants, Squacco Heron, Purple heron, Night Heron and Short-toed Snake eagle.

Did you take a boat onto the lake or did you find a way to walk out to a view across the water. When I was there we just walked alongside the canal that went around the lake from HQ.

I went to Hutavo Blato in August 2005 and it was scorching hot! The best birds were massive flocks of Bee-eaters, a few Pygmy Cormorants, Squacco Heron, Purple heron, Night Heron and Short-toed Snake eagle.

Did you take a boat onto the lake or did you find a way to walk out to a view across the water. When I was there we just walked alongside the canal that went around the lake from HQ.

When I was there, they said the water level was too low to go out to the lake and I didn't find a path to go all the way there - so it was a Nature Reserve where you can't see nature! I still got the species mentioned though, and plan to go back in December, when I hope to see a few wintering species.

Great stuff GE.
No idea about the mystery bird though!
H

Me either, it was probably something very common, but distorted by the light. Strange though, I had no 'feeling' of what it could be at all - it didn't seem like a raptor or a thrush. Ah well, never mind, it's just yet another bird to add to the list of unknowns.

I hope that a few birders will be tempted to give Bosnia a try, it has some really beautiful countryside, you can drive for just a couple of hours and see stunning mountains, rivers, canyons, lakes, heath land ... the list goes on. There are also plenty of birds, including some very interesting species as mentioned in my email. The downside is that the vast majority of people here do not appreciate nature and wildlife. There are only 5 birdwatchers in the whole country - the land is generally seen as functional and not appreciated for its beauty and animals. Maybe if they realise that they can make money from birders from other countries, that will change...

Interesting read GE - hope the Reserve happens!

Could your mystery bird have been a Fieldfare, location right, and markings can look very bold, they also have an 'elongated' gizz shape

Interesting read GE - hope the Reserve happens!

Could your mystery bird have been a Fieldfare, location right, and markings can look very bold, they also have an 'elongated' gizz shape

Good call, I think it seems like the most likely species. I had considered it, but as there was only one on its own and no sign of any others, thought it perhaps unlikely. Nothing else seems close though.

Good call, I think it seems like the most likely species. I had considered it, but as there was only one on its own and no sign of any others, thought it perhaps unlikely. Nothing else seems close though.

They often are seen singulary, GE - chest/breast markings also vary considerably. It's the 'cuckoo-like' shape that had me thinking - when perched, they look end heavy with an elongated body shape that stretches into the long tail, which seems to defy a typical thrush shape, even Mistles. Short views, poor light, pronounced/slightly unsual markings, and you've got yourself ''something unusual'' - I know, I've been there! (only Id'd it as an afterthought when the bird had flown) despite seeing several hundred in the days preceeding lol

Hutovo Blato

I went to Hutovo Blato, supposedly an excellent bird habitat and the Bosnian nature reserve in which hunting is banned, on Sunday. I booked a boat trip out to the lake, the receptionist at the hotel assuring me there would be lots of birds there as winter is the best time. I was, therefore, surprised and extremely disappointed to see that there were NO BIRDS on the lake (okay, there were 2 little grebes, but that was it). No ducks, geese, swans, waders or herons at all. Therefore, I would warn any other birders not to spend 150KM on the boat trip. My friend suspects that there may be Italian hunters using the reserve, I don't know whether this is true, but it is really not worth spending around £50 to see nothing. On the way back, I did see a few buzzards, marsh harriers and 2 great grey shrikes (the latter always being a real pleasure to see) but I still felt cheated.

This disappointment was slightly less depressing as it might have been, as during a brief trip into Croatia the previous day to visit Dubrovnik, a wallcreeper flew right over my head. A tick, and what a tick!

I didn't see any wallcreepers when I went to Dubrovnik but loads of Alpine Swifts in the evenings. I also climbed up the hill with the bombed napoleonic fort for a superb view of the old town of Dubrovnik. At the top lots of Blue Rock Thrushes and pieces of old mortar rounds.

I went to Hutovo Blato in August for an hour's Boat trip round some of the channels of the reserve good numbers of Bee-eater, Swallow and Kingfisher also Golden Oriole, Little Grebe, Squacco Heron, Great Reed Warbler and Pygmy Cormorant not a huge list of differant species but the noise of the motor on the boat seems to scare off a lot of the birds before you can get within 200 metres of them.
Whilst I was in Mostar there was several families of Golden Oriole on the riverbanks by the Bridge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back