• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in France (1 Viewer)

POP

Birding ibn France

Can anyone please help with any information for birding in the Corbieres Region of France? Information such as web sites ,local birders etc. The intention is to go there in the October half term.

Many Thanks,
John

I found "Birdwatching guide to France north of the Loire" to be very good when I went to Brittany recently. I guess you'd want the sister book "Birdwatching guide to France south of the Loire".

Hello John,
I presume your going to the Corbieres region near Narbonne / Perpignan. If you are you are in for a treat!
Although I didn't quite go into the Corbieres, I spent time just south of here and travelled into the Pyrenees Orientalis a few times.
I have just returned from a week's work out there, but spent every spare minute in the field. I stayed a little south of the region in Rivasaltes near Perpignan. I visited two exeptional sites during my stay - Etang de Lucateau de Salses and Etang de Canet - either side of Perpignan.
Both had huge numbers of Greater Flamingo along with good numbers of Purple Heron, Cattle Egret and even one Great White Egret at Canet. Waders were excellent with Temmink's Stint, hundreds of shanks, Dunlin and sandpipers, Collared Pratincole, Avocet and B.W.Stilt. There was also Marsh Sand there at the time but I missed this. There were over 150 Black necked Grebes on Canet. Birds of Prey included several Honey Buzzard, Short toed Eagle, Hobby and Golden Eagle in the Mountains.
Highlight of the trip for me was several totally unexpected Purple Gallinules at the Golf Course just south of Etand de Canet.
The whole area was full of a mixture of Med and Pyrenees species such as Roller, Shrikes, Alpine Swift, Crag martin, Subalpine and Sardinian Warbler, Moustashed and Fan tailed warbler, Serin, Bonelli's warbler, Crested Tit, Firecrest and four species of Woodpecker including Black. I also found a flock of Spotless Starling in the centre of Rivesaltes near Perpignan.
It was also good to see good numbers of species such as Tree Sparrow, Corn and Cirl Buntings out there. Migration was in full swing with flocks of 20-30 Blackcaps and Garden Warblers moving through!
While out there I met the warden of the area, he worked for the Langudeoc-Rousillon Ornithological Society, I have his e-mail at home at the bottom of my unpacked suitcase. I'll forward it to you in the near future. If you need more info let me know.
One thing is for sure is you'll have a great time.
Cheers
Marc

John
E-mail for the Group Orthinologique du Roussillon ( which covers Corbieres) is [email protected]. The guy I met - Lionel, who worked for them as was a great help. He also spoke good English.
One species I forgot to mention was Slender-billed Gull which was present in small numbrs amongst the thousands of Black Heads.
Cheers
Marc

Thanks Steve
I'll write it up properly in the near future. I've got a few more trip reports from the last few years to areas not particularly well documented e.g. Teruel - Sapin, Vendee - France - All excellent birding areas. I'll post them on soon.
Cheers
Marc

Marc the information is a great help,it is actually for a friend of mine,also a member of your profession,he is going with his wife to the Corbieres Region at half term in two weeks time.
Again many thanks,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back