• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (2 Viewers)

I don't know officially but in all the years I've never been asked for a permit except by a grumpy fisherman about 10 years ago who I just ignored! School kids are often at the sailing club, esp during the week, as they run water sport activities for schools (mainly from Wolvo). I just park off the road by the sailing club and walk thru or climb over the gate. Have been challenged numerous times when exercising my 'right to roam' around the nearby woods and fields - but even they have got bored of confronting me and The Snapper...they prefer now to ask US if we have seen anyone acting suspiciously...:t:

Ive never been asked for a permit at Gailey, in the 26 years Ive been visiting there. Most evenings a bloke who lives in the lane takes his dogs round there anyway, and on numerous occasions I've seen casual walkers. I usually walk through the gate then down between the boats rather than walk the side of the clubhouse.

Gailey this morning....52 Cormorants around the island, took off at 11.15am, then flew above the A5 before veering round and flying high north east. A few minutes later, another ten flew in from the west.

Just seen a female blackcap under the feeders at my girlfriends farm near Ipstones. My first for the year.

The site manager at Coombes reported blackcap there on Wednesday as well.

Adam

4 house martins this evening in madeley, they're later than last year. Hope the temperature keeps rising this week to encourage the bugs out so they can feed after their long flight home.

Wetley Moor

A male Whinchat on the fence line of the fields between the main moor and Kerry Hill moor was a good bird for an evening walk, a bit breezy for comfort though out there.
Andy

AONB Status-Churnet Valley

Signing this petition will only take a minute. There is a campaign taking place to get Staffordshire Moorlands District Council to support the need for AONB status in relation to the Churnet Valley. There is a so called Core Strategy Plan/Masterplan for the area but it needs protection from potentially inappropriate tourism development. Protection of birds/wildlife has to be priority and AONB status will help.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

Thanks

Dean:t:

I've been asked by Hugh Pulsford, the Cheshire County Recorder, to ask whether anyone might be interested in taking over as their database manager for bird records. Here's what he says:

"CAWOS are looking for someone, preferably with some birding knowledge to take over as database manager for our bird records. This is paid post, on a sort of consultancy basis so we are not expecting the individual to do it for nothing. We have an existing system and database so this isn't starting from scratch, rather taking over an existing setup and interfacing with our compilers, myself, editors of bird report etc. We are looking for anyone with suitable IT skills etc, possibly a retired individual living in the Cheshire area or north staffs or anyone really. Our existing team are looking to hand over in 2014."

If you're interested, drop Hugh an email at [email protected]

Cheers, Nick

ID Help

Hi All

If anyone gets chance to have a quick look across at the Birds of Staffordshire thread, I would be grateful for any thoughts on an ID query I have posted.

Many thanks

Andy R.

I had a nice walk through the RSPB land in the Churnet yesterday. I heard at least 4 pied flycatchers singing along the canal in front of Chase Woods, and a further 3 singing in Crowgutter. Plenty of other migrants knocking around too, but I didn't hear any redstarts, however, I was there at about 1pm, so probably too late in the day for them.

I also heard 2 woodcock roding over Booth's Wood later on in the day, as well as 2 tawny owls calling.

A wood warbler was reported at Coombes yesterday, along the woodcock trail. However, I didn't have time today to go and listen for it to confirm.

Adam

Wise words Col. However, as can be seen in this thread with the same details, it's not always cut-and-tried. There's one or two others on that secondary list that I would also include, but it's all matter of opinion.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=256111

Imagine if a Savi's appeared in Staffs for example :eek!:, then I'm sure the chances of a breeding pair are minimal. Which I still need for Staffs, but it's on my Derbyshire list when I were a little lad. ;)

I've always taken the advice from Derbyshire Ornithological Society website that if you know the bird is an obvious migrant (like Ring Ouzel at Berry Hill, or LRP at Westport Lake) then that's fine. But as has been said in the past, if in any doubt then keep it to yourself. :t:

Wise words Col. However, as can be seen in this thread with the same details, it's not always cut-and-tried. There's one or two others on that secondary list that I would also include, but it's all matter of opinion.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=256111

Imagine if a Savi's appeared in Staffs for example :eek!:, then I'm sure the chances of a breeding pair are minimal. Which I still need for Staffs, but it's on my Derbyshire list when I were a little lad. ;)

I've always taken the advice from Derbyshire Ornithological Society website that if you know the bird is an obvious migrant (like Ring Ouzel at Berry Hill, or LRP at Westport Lake) then that's fine. But as has been said in the past, if in any doubt then keep it to yourself. :t:
Cheers Richard :t:

Had an amble around Croxall Lakes last night (7.20-9.00). River was up following the previous night's rain. Birds of note included 3 Oystercatcher (including what appeared to be a nesting pair), a lone Little Ringed Plover in the short grass just past the bridge on the east side, two Kingfisher, Pied Wagtail, possible winter plum. Dunlin and a Hobby over from the main lake as I was heading off the site and a number of Swifts.

I also saw a flock of Canada Geese with at least 17 recently hatched young, a curious fox and the Cape Barren Goose noted by Martin Yapp on his blog was still present on the east side amongst some Canada Geese, however as Martin observed, "plastic as hell!" :)

Cheers,

Damian.

Last edited:
Good views of pied flycatcher today at Coombes. Also redstart singing, but unseen. Whitethroat singing in the car park, kestrel and sparrowhawk over the big meadow (the one near the ed centre, not Clough Meadow). Also heard an oystercatcher call some where distant over the near by farmland.

Also looked for dingy skipper, but it was probably a little too cloudy for them to be active enough. Plenty of smooth newts in the pond though.

Adam

A wonderful sight yesterday at Gailey :) - 2 ad Ross's Geese on the sailing lake and also in the nearby fields. God knows where they've come from. I haven't heard of any feral birds doing the rounds recently at any local spots. Anyone seen them elsewhere?

Despite poor time of day for a visit yesterday afternoon, the Wood Warbler was showing very nicely near the Seven Springs carpark.

A wonderful sight yesterday at Gailey :) - 2 ad Ross's Geese on the sailing lake and also in the nearby fields. God knows where they've come from. I haven't heard of any feral birds doing the rounds recently at any local spots. Anyone seen them elsewhere?

Despite poor time of day for a visit yesterday afternoon, the Wood Warbler was showing very nicely near the Seven Springs carpark.

Hi Steve - there has been a Ross's Goose that's been touring Worcestershire for the last two years. It is currently sat on a nest at Upton Warren; god knows what any resulting offspring may look like! :eek!:

My colleague Mr Waring often reminds me (grips me off) of the time when a Snow Goose dropped into Westport in May/June time a few years ago. Ago, don't know where it came from although there was a report a bit later from the North Welsh coast. Ross's Goose - one to impress your friends with when talking Gailey lists! And one I still need for Staffs!

Ross's Goose - one to impress your friends with when talking Gailey lists! And one I still need for Staffs!

Luckily I've already had this exotica at Gailey - a single in April 2000! Gailey does have a decent record of escaped ducks - I've also had the likes of Radjah Shelduck, sev Muscovy, Ringed Teal, Cackling, Pink-foot and Barnacle Geese (all dodgy singles with Canadas!) off the top of my head - but only one Mandarin way back in Nov 1997 (still much sought after by The Snapper!) - but of course the Fudge and Ring-necked Ducks were 100% wild...:t:

Had an hour at Croxall this evening. Highlight was a Cuckoo calling around 7pm from the far side of the main lake. Also of note were Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, 5 Oystercatcher, a few pairs of Tufted Duck, and a couple of Shelduck dropped in towards 8pm.

Water levels on the scrapes on the east side were very high so no wader activity beyond the Oystercatchers whilst I was there.

Damian.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back