• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Thailand (1 Viewer)

HelenC

Any recommendations for birding in Thailand? I'm probably going for about 6 days next week, flying into Bangkok, and as it's a bit spur-of-the-moment any suggestions would be helpful. I've looked at a few birding tour companies on the net but they all seem rather pricey, especially as I'm going on my own. Thanks in advance,

Helen

Hi Helen

u don't need a tour company in Thailand!

You could have 2 weeks north
2 weeks central
2 weeks south

Doi Inthanon in the north and Doi Chang Dao for excellent montane birding with a bit of a Sino feel to the avifauna. Plus Giant Nuthatch, thrushes etc. Wonderful birding. You can stay at Mr Deng's on the road up the mountain or in nice chalets nearby. Plenty of time to go up to Thaton area too.

Khao Yai is a must and close to BangKok. Great rainforest birding with a potential suprise or two. Excellent for hornbills and trogons etc and a pitta or two. Kaeng Krachan is well worth a visit too - great place.

In the South try the Krabi area. A trip out to look for Mangrove Pitta and Mangrove Fly plus numerous waders and terns and stuff like Ruddy Kingfisher etc With Mr Dai is certainly worth it. And a trip to Khao Noi Chuchi for Gurney's Pitta and other lowland stuff.

All in all you have a brilliant length of time to see the place.....and the food and people are amazing. Golden Temple is well worth a visit too.

SORRY just noticed it's six days!!! Khao Yai for definite!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back