• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding tour to Mexico (2 Viewers)

Jose Ramon

Hi everyone,

I am planning a birding tour to Mexico. I have already been to Mexico a few times but only in one of them birding (around Mexico DF).

I am trying to find out the best place and time to go.

It seems that the best place to visit is Chiapas and the best time March but maybe any of you have a different opinion.

In addition, if you have any way to contact locals guides that work in the area I will welcome that information.

Thanks in advance,

There are loads of good places in Mexico. It depends what you want to see. I went there last December/ January and mainly visited Oaxaca/Chiapas and Yucatan. The birding was very good almost everywhere and the weather was generally very pleasant. If you want good weather and also North American migrants, winter is a good time to visit. March would still be very good too.

I only used one guide for a couple of days. That was Alberto Martinez of Royal Flycatcher Tours. I used him in the San Cristobal de las Casas area of Chiapas. He was very good and it's an area where a guide is helpful, not least because of complicated access issues.

There are three popular birding circuits in Mexico - Yucatan, Chiapas and Oaxaca, and the west coast between Mazatlan and Colima. You can combine these if you have time, but otherwise it's a question of deciding which is most appealing to you. As Andrew says, winter to early Spring has pleasant weather and wintering migrants. Yucatan and the west coast have the advantage (for UK birders at least) of direct flights to Cancun / Puerto Vallarta.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back