• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds along the railway line (1 Viewer)

greer3

United Kingdom
I know the railway authorities get some stick for chopping down trees alongside the tracks, but there's a considerable length of railway nearby which is surprisingly good for birds. Some of the track is raised so they've left trees growing below the line and there's also extensive brambles and shrubs which remain untouched. So far this year I spotted a Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Common Whitethroats, 1 Sedge Warbler, several Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackbird, Wren and Redwing; birds which I've recorded along here before. In past years there's also been a couple of Common Redstart passing through. The line is bounded by a long metal fence, so apart from when workmen are carrying out their tasks, the birds remain undisturbed. They don't appear to be that bothered about the trains thundering past.
Just further along the track Oystercatchers regularly breed just outside the railway boundary, near the site of the long abandoned station.
ps This morning I found three Sedge Warbler alongside the railway track in new territories not recorded before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back