• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds eating rat bait (1 Viewer)

OzzieB

United Kingdom
Recently I twice saw a blackbird pecking at a rat bait sachet on our patio. Pest control guy who baited the box says a blackbird was seen going into the bait box and coming out with the sachet - something he said he has never heard of before. I don't think a bird would go into a dark place, where it cannot flap it's wings if it needs to get away quickly, then find a sachet 'around the corner' where they are placed in a bait box and pull it out backwards. I suspect a neighbour is removing the sachets from the bait box as he moans about us feeding birds. Any comments would be appreciated.

I hope you get your question answered.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I would be very surprised if a Blackbird had done this. It would mean it checking inside the box on spec as obviously it can see inside the box or the sachets. Also if it is the usual type you see everywhere 8t would be a very tight fit!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I haven’t heard of this, though I do know that birds do die through eating rats, squirrels, etc that have died from poisons.

Recently I twice saw a blackbird pecking at a rat bait sachet on our patio. Pest control guy who baited the box says a blackbird was seen going into the bait box and coming out with the sachet - something he said he has never heard of before. I don't think a bird would go into a dark place, where it cannot flap it's wings if it needs to get away quickly, then find a sachet 'around the corner' where they are placed in a bait box and pull it out backwards. I suspect a neighbour is removing the sachets from the bait box as he moans about us feeding birds. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks to all for the welcome and comments. My wife and I have always been animal lovers and bird feeders wherever we have lived. Been in the estate where we are now for three years - which has a no pets and 'do not feed the birds' policy (because of rats) but we feed them anyway and have only ever seen two rats in all this time. Sometime this year we will be moving to a suitable rural property - ancient woodlands/pasture mix - and undertaking a re-wilding project. Really looking forward to seeing what species of birds and other wild life return to the area. We are complete novices when it comes to birds, but keen to learn and have fun.

If at all possible, stop putting out rat poison. It kills the rats slowly and painfully, and can poison anything that eats them. It's not humane or environmentally friendly. Better to prevent them from getting into food and houses when at all possible, and see about employing a rat-hunting dog somewhere if needed. Terriers kill rats quickly by shaking them, and love ratting.

Re-wilding sounds exciting. Good luck with all that, it's a great thing to do. I suggest getting yourself an INaturalist account- it's a citizen science project where people can record their nature observations to be identified, and also can look around and see what other people have observed. You can use it to get things identified.

I suggest finding a nice patch of flowers and sitting by it. See what turns up. There are far more species of bee than you probably realize, for one thing, and it's fascinating to learn about what all lives in your area.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back