• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (3 Viewers)

They are indeed Bottlenose Dolphins, John. Didn't see them around today, for the first time in a while.

It was very much 'as you were' around the Ness this afternoon. I actually managed to see the Pheasant scuttling up Tullos Hill today. There were again two Goldcrests by the railway embankment. And the argentatus Herring Gull was still lurking off the Coo. I guess it's there most of the time. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, as French birders would no doubt say if they went birding round Girdle Ness a lot.

On a non birding trip to St Cyrus this afternoon,I flushed 2 Grey Partridge from the side of the road.This Is the first Grey Partridge I have seen for many years.

Considering how often I used to see them as a boy In the 1970s,this was a real highlight of my day.

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

First wheatear of the year in greyhope bay this afternoon!

Also, and perhaps even better, a weasel giving great prolonged views at the battery.

Some good stuff today. The black redstart was seen briefly this morning (but not again at lunchtime). A few more chiffchaffs are in, including singles at the allotments and a singing bird at Abbey gardens. A pair of goldeneye were just north of the harbour and the male goosander remains. A snipe was at the battery at lunchtime, and a male yellowhammer was there this morning.

Another productive day. 9 fieldfares were on the move this morning, and the days highlight was a pair of Pintail heading south over the battery. Other passerine migrants included increased numbers of blackbird, and singles of wheatear and chiffchaff.

Yet another productive day - the black redstart is still in the allotments, but it can be very jumpy - although it showed really well at lunchtime. Also on the move this morning were single fieldfare, snow bunting, and a brambling.

It's been a really good week, and it ended well. Today didn't start so well though - I noticed the kindly travelling folk who have been in Nigg bay for the last month have moved on, leaving a disgusting amount of rubbish behind.

However a few migrants soon perked me up. A sandwich tern went north past the foghorn, and a woodcock was a bit of a surprise when I flushed it at the battery. A chiffchaff was at the north bank, and today's special prize, a stonechat was in the patches next to the allotments. Since the two really cold winters three/four years ago I've only seen 1 stonechat here - and today's bird was doubly interesting as it showed some good features for being a continental bird.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Had an early morning walk round but no sign of the Black Redstart.I believe It was still around yesterday,according to one of the "Plottie People".Some fantastic Dolphin activity at the Harbour mouth,with at least a dozen Individuals performing.

7 Common Scoter past the "Coo" and 3 long tailed Duck In Nigg Bay and great to hear the song of the Skylark again.

I can only agree with what Paul posted earlier about the mess the Travellers have left.An absolue disgrace.

Another early walk round "The Ness" but not a lot to write home about,other than a Song Thrush singing It's heart out and a flock of 50+ Linnets at the Battery.

Something Mr Whitehouse may find of Interest,Is a cairn has been built underneath the "Torry Coo" for some reason.

Quite a nice day out of the wind!

Best bird was a swallow that zipped north over the battery at lunchtime. Also moving north was a female wigeon, and loads of gulls. Mainly herring gulls but a good few kitties too - wouldn't be surprised if an Iceland gull shows up soon.

This evening there was a nice gathering in Nigg bay of 13 redthroats, 8 common scoter, 5 red-breasted merganser, and 12 long-tailed duck. There was also a male reed bunting in the sewGe works cover - something that has eluded me so far this year.

Not much out of the ordinary this morning.4 Long tailed Duck In Nigg Bay.What seemed like 100s of Linnets around,with a few carrying nesting material.A Grey Heron having a struggle with something on the Sewage Pier,just down from "The Coo".

Skylark song all around,as well as parachuting Pipits.

Had my first stroll around Girdle Ness in a while, early evening. The only obvious summer migrants were several Sandwich Terns around the harbour mouth. I managed 8 Long-tailed Ducks in Nigg Bay with three more flying past. Also 3 Red-throated Divers and a pair of Common Scoters there. The most notable bird was a Common Sandpiper in Greyhope Bay.

Had quite a pleasant wander around this morning. I began around St Fittick's. I see that they are trying to establish a small reed bed in the largest (westernmost) of the pools. Maybe we'll be getting Bearded Tits on our Girdle Ness list soon. Single Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers were singing near the railway embankment. A Sand Martin flew over the waterworks.

On Nigg Bay there were six Long-tailed Ducks, three Red-breasted Mergansers, a Common Scoter and three Red-throated Divers. The best bird was a Great Northern Diver, drifting about in the outer part of Greyhope Bay. Two Swallows were seen, one at the Battery and one near the allotments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back