• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

An interesting day in Torry today. Overnight it was cold and starry and I was wondering if everything might have cleared off. It actually seemed as though things had come in.

The main theme of the day was soon apparent. After walking a few hundred yards along Victoria Road I heard a Yellow-browed Warbler calling vehemently from the sycamores by the old people's home. I saw it briefly in the canopy when it suddenly went quiet. A few minutes later it reappeared in the same area to give better views. I walked a bit further to Balnagask Motte where I could get good views into the canopy of the trees. Yellow-browed Warblers were soon in evidence with three seen quite well.

I then headed down towards the Nigg Bay area. I heard another calling from one of the planted areas. I didn't actually go and check that one out, such is the way with Yellow-broweds these days. Thorough searching eventually produced four more: one in the trees along the burn and then at least three in a flock near the football pitch. The final one was mid-afternoon when a singleton nonchalantly popped up along Abbey Road. That was ten Yellow-browed Warblers in all. I suspect that may be a patch record. Norris McWhirter has been informed. Then again there were apparently 26 at Collieston today, so ten probably isn't that much to shout about.

There was a good mix of other stuff but nothing really remarkable. A Jack Snipe was at the marsh, along with six Common Snipe. A male Brambling was in the trees by the railway embankment. Other stuff included a Wigeon, seven Teal, two Knot, a Dunlin, one Arctic Tern, three Goldcrests, two Chiffchaffs, two Stonechats, two Wheatears, a Siskin and a White Wagtail. A Whinchat was in the willowherb west of the battery. We also saw a rise of one place on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser to 43.

Loads of Painted Ladies and Red Admirals around too, plus a Silver Y moth. Here are some migrant pictures.

Attachments

• YB Warbler_Torry_021016a.jpg
    YB Warbler_Torry_021016a.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Painted Lady_Torry_021016a.jpg
    Painted Lady_Torry_021016a.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 33
I've been noting the 'promising' conditions all week but couldn't get out until today. It was cloudy in the morning before brightening up, alongside a strengthening south-easterly. There wasn't an immediate impression of lots of birds in the Nigg Bay area. Two Jack Snipe and four Common Snipe were in the marshes and a flock of three Lesser Redpolls were in the alders. I also saw Common Hawker again. A possible patch record ten Rooks were about as exciting as it got for a while, before I found the 'only' Yellow-browed Warbler of the day in the rowans near the football pitch.

The best bird was probably a single White-fronted Goose struggling its way south into the wind over Nigg Bay. A very nice flock of 15 Barnacle Geese also went that way at close range. Out to sea there was a large movement of Gannets northwards and, amongst them, was my first Sooty Shearwater of the year. Not too much else moved through except for a single Teal and a Common Scoter. An adult Arctic Tern was again in Greyhope Bay.

The collection of migrants built up a bit as I headed around the north side of the Ness. Final totals were 27 Goldcrests, seven Chiffchaffs, three Blackcaps, two Garden Warblers, two Redwings and ten Song Thrushes.

Attachments

• Barnacle Geese_Girdle Ness_071016a.jpg
    Barnacle Geese_Girdle Ness_071016a.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 49
Over seven hours bashing the bushes for me today. It was quite good, particularly at first, but 'the boy' seemed to elude me. I started on Abbey Road and almost immediately heard a Yellow-browed Warbler calling, although it remained out of sight. A more interesting bird was around the corner, towards Inverdee House, where a Chiffchaff was giving a clear tristis-type call. Views were a bit intermittent and I managed some bad photos. I thought I refound it a minute or two later and took some better photos but I'm now not convinced it was the same bird I heard giving the call. The initial bird looked and sounded good for Siberian Chiffchaff though. Another Yellow-browed Warbler was seen briefly on the north bank.

There seemed to be quite a bit going through in the morning, with thrushes, crests and warblers all seeming to be intent on moving fairly rapidly inland. Totals across the day were of eight Chiffchaffs, 33 Goldcrests, five Blackcaps, two Garden Warblers and two Wheatears. A Common Redstart was seen near the lighthouse.

Otherwise things were a bit quiet. The slightly beleagured looking adult Arctic Tern was again on Greyhope Bay, looking like it might struggle to complete the longest migration in the natural world. Five Stonechats was a good number, though all looked like 'normal' ones. There were also five Redpolls and five Common Snipe.

Here's a bad shot of the tristis.

Attachments

• Sibe Chiff_Torry_081016a.jpg
    Sibe Chiff_Torry_081016a.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 68
Another day in the field in ridiculously fine weather, with barely a breath of wind this afternoon and crystal clear skies. The niceness of the weather might have been a factor in there not being massive amounts of stuff around. I mostly had to content myself with watching parties of warblers and Goldcrests flit about in sycamores in the sun and imagine what it would be like if there was something a bit rarer with them.

There was actually a Yellow-browed Warbler this morning but it was only heard calling a few times near the Tullos Burn. Other stuff in that general vicinity included a Redwing, three Redpolls, a Siskin, two Teal and a Common Snipe. A Moorhen was heard calling from the Burn near the bridge. There was an 'interesting' Chiffchaff around too, giving a somewhat tristis-like call but it sounded a bit too bright and lacked the plaintive 'lost chick' quality of tristis. It looked like a pretty normal Chiff. It goes to show - you can't be too careful with Chiffchaffs.

The afternoon was fairly quiet. A Willow Warbler was along the north bank and, interestingly, appeared to be ringed. A Sandwich Tern flew south, as did 15 Common Scoter. A couple of flocks of Pink-footed Geese went over during the day. Migrant totals for the day included 19 Goldcrests, two Blackcaps and six Chiffchaffs.

Last edited:
A frustrating weekend here in Torry. While the rest of the east coast was raking in the rares, it was really too wet here to actually get out and look for stuff. Friday and Saturday were pretty much wall to wall rain, and often heavy at that. No doubt stuff was being brought down but actually seeing it was too much of a challenge (at least for me!). This morning the weather was better but I was on a bus coming back from Glasgow. Once I got back I was straight out but after an hour or so the rain began again and continued for most of the rest of the afternoon.

There were clearly a lot of birds around. I only managed to cover Abbey Road, the western end of the north bank and the allotments but that produced a minimum of 20 Goldcrests, eight Chiffchaffs, seven Blackcaps and a Willow Warbler. The best bird was a rather smart Mealy Redpoll that was taken in by the charms of 'the tree'. I bet that wasn't all that was around though.

Attachments

• Mealy Redpoll_Girdle Ness_161016a.jpg
    Mealy Redpoll_Girdle Ness_161016a.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Mealy Redpoll_Girdle Ness_161016d.jpg
    Mealy Redpoll_Girdle Ness_161016d.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 52
It was brighter and relatively dry this morning, though a stiff breeze made it hard work. I only had time for the Abbey Road and Nigg Bay areas. There were plenty of commoner migrants zipping about, particularly on Abbey Road. Totals were seven Blackcaps, five Chiffchaffs and 30 Goldcrests. There were plenty of thrushes about, two Siskins flew over and two Bramblings were heard calling.

Around the marsh in Nigg Bay seven Common Snipe and tight sitting Jack Snipe were seen. A Yellow-browed Warbler popped up in a bird flock in the rowans. I also had a rather silvery Ring Ouzel flying inland over the school playing fields. The best bird was a Tundra Bean Goose that was pottering about near St Fittick's churchyard. It looked predictably forlorn and slightly mucky. Apparently it was around yesterday, so wasn't fresh in. I wonder how long it'll stick around for.

Attachments

• Tundra Bean Goose_Torry_171016a.jpg
    Tundra Bean Goose_Torry_171016a.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Tundra Bean Goose_Torry_171016b.jpg
    Tundra Bean Goose_Torry_171016b.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
You know, this morning I was thinking I might pop out for a bit before going into work, probably to look around the allotments and the north bank. It was a bit rainy and the wind had gone round to the west though, so I thought better of it. A few hours later I was sitting at my desk and checked Birdguides, only to see that there was an Isabelline Shrike at Girdle Ness! It turned out to have been in the area I'd planned to check. Oops!

So, it was a few hours before I could get away. I rushed back (it's a bit of a walk though), picked up my gear and managed to get on the spot just after 4pm. Only one other birder was there and he said that it was still around but tended to skulk in the bottom of the bushes quite a lot, which is what it was doing at the time. Fairly soon it popped out to give close but brief views before flying to a bush on the other side of the road, which it disappeared into. It then got booted by some passing walkers but we eventually found it settled quietly on the edge of some low scrub. This time the views were fairly close and prolonged. After it dropped down I could see it perched right in the dark bottom of some gorse. It then popped up onto a small rowan for really excellent looks before heading off again.

Anyway, quite a splendid thing. I was quite struck by the smooth, pale ginger impression it gave. The features certainly suggest that it's from the mysterious land of Dauria rather than Turkestan. There was also some theorisation that it had a 'larder' in one of the gorse bushes that it tended to return to. I hope it sticks around. If it sits up a bit more often, it might yet be a possibility for the house list. And well done to Fraser, the finder, who made the effort to get out there this morning!

There didn't seem to be too much else about, with fewer common migrants in evidence. Along Abbey Road I again saw a Willow Warbler, as well as a Chiffchaff and a few Goldcrests.

Here's some 'dirty knickers shrike' action for you.

Attachments

• Isabelline Shrike_Girdle Ness_181016a.jpg
    Isabelline Shrike_Girdle Ness_181016a.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Isabelline Shrike_Girdle Ness_181016b.jpg
    Isabelline Shrike_Girdle Ness_181016b.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 73
Still showing well today 12:30-13:20. Halfway between Battery and allotments, alternating between gorse at roadside and middle of fairway. 4 other birders eyes on when I left

Jim

Not the best of light today but a couple of shots. Somebody said this bird should be in Russia or thereabouts, wondering if these guys were looking for it ?? This was in amongst the supply boats.

Jim

Attachments

• Girdleness Shrike 1-crop.jpg
    Girdleness Shrike 1-crop.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Girdleness Shrike 2-crop.jpg
    Girdleness Shrike 2-crop.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Girdleness Shrike 3-crop.jpg
    Girdleness Shrike 3-crop.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Girdleness 027-crop.jpg
    Girdleness 027-crop.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 62
Nice shots Jim. Interesting to see that it's feeding on worms!

Bit gutted I've dipped on the submarine - that would be a patch tick. Hope it sticks around.

The bird was feeding on Insects on the rocks between the Banana Pier and Skates Nose Pier,this early afternoon.I did wave In the direction of those looking for It above on the road,to show where It was,so hopefully they seen It.

The bird was feeding on Insects on the rocks between the Banana Pier and Skates Nose Pier,this early afternoon.I did wave In the direction of those looking for It above on the road,to show where It was,so hopefully they seen It.

15:12 20/10/16
Isabelline Wheatear
Aberdeenshire
Aberdeen
14:43
details
one showing well on the rocks between Banana Pier and Skates Nose Pier

Alarmingly, Birdguides seem to have put your report out as an Isabelline Wheatear!

I had a bit of a look around this afternoon, in serene conditions. The birds were as quiet as the weather though, with very few migrants in evidence. I'm not aware of anyone seeing the Isabelline Shrike today. I certainly didn't anyway. The only migrants were three Blackcaps, a Chiffchaff and just one Goldcrest. Otherwise two Wigeon flew over, there was a rather dark immature Long-tailed Duck on the harbour and there were five Stonechats. That really was about it.

Attachments

• LT Duck_Girdle Ness_211016a.jpg
    LT Duck_Girdle Ness_211016a.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 67
Calm before the storm hopefully. Wind has now swung back to being out of the East. Forecast to remain like that until Tuesday, so should be a fresh influx of migrants.:t:

Not sure there was that much of a fresh influx of migrants today, sadly. There were perhaps a few more thrushes about but otherwise just four Goldcrests and singles of Blackcap and Chiffchaff. Two Woodcock around the waterworks were probably fresh in. Around the marsh there were six Common Snipe and two Jack Snipe. A flock of at least six Long-tailed Tits were moving rapidly around the Nigg Bay area. A late Northern Wheatear was at the south end of the beach. Out to sea a mixed flock of five Common Scoter and six Wigeon went south, along with a drake Long-tailed Duck. Otherwise there were four Stonechats and a Dunlin.

Attachments

• Blackcap_Torry_221016a.jpg
    Blackcap_Torry_221016a.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 58
  • LT Tit_Girdle Ness_221016a.jpg
    LT Tit_Girdle Ness_221016a.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 58
The weather seemed vaguely interesting this morning, with NE winds and occasional showers. I wasn't sure what it was 'interesting' for though. It turned out that the answer was 'not much'. Four Blackcaps were on Abbey Road (where they seem to have been hanging around all week) but there were very few migrants anywhere else - just two Goldcrests and a Redwing! The Northern Wheatear remained at the southern end of Nigg Bay.

Otherwise I'm looking awkwardly around and hoping someone changes the conservation from 'what birds did you see today'. I briefly saw a Moorhen flying into the marsh. Interestingly I also heard a Water Rail along the burn (for the second time this week in fact). They keep a low profile though. It was a low profile kind of day all round I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back