• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (20 Viewers)

More of a casual record this morning,came In the way of (approx.) 80 - 100 House Martins hawking for Insects at the Junction of Abbey Place/Balnagask Road for a good half hour.

Even the locals were looking at what was going on above them.

The weather conditions didn't seem all that promising today, but it turned out to be surprisingly good in between the rain showers. I gave the Nigg Bay area a good working over this morning. Three Snipe were in the marsh where I briefly saw a Water Rail in the rushes, as well as two Moorhen. A Swift circled overhead - the first I've seen for a few weeks. Quite large numbers of wagtails and pipits were about, presumably on the move. At least five White Wagtails were in amongst the Pieds. The main migrant interest was following the now regular flock of Long-tailed Tits. This included seven Willow Warblers, six Chiffchaffs (a few of which were doing 'swee-oo' calls), a Blackcap and at least five Coal Tits. Best of all was my first Spotted Flycatcher of the year.

Late afternoon I headed around the north side of the Ness. This immediately produced the goods when a juvenile Red-backed Shrike perched up very nicely on the fence on the south side of the allotments. It flew down into the grass dump and I couldn't find it again. It may just have been lurking in a bush though. Wonder how long it's been around?

Otherwise there were five Wheatears, a Dunlin and a Totaliser busting ten Purple Sandpipers. Offshore were two Arctic Skuas, a Bonxie, 12 Common Scoter and four Arctic Terns. Most surprising was a flock of ten Bar-tailed Godwits flying south - I suspect the biggest flock I've ever seen here.

Attachments

• RB Shrike_Girdle Ness_100917a.jpg
    RB Shrike_Girdle Ness_100917a.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 149
The Red-backed Shrike was again reported today on the south side of the allotments. I had a flock of 16 Pink-footed Geese flying over Victoria Road, my first of the autumn.

A somewhat interesting day today, although perhaps not as good as it might have been. A Mistle Thrush flying along Victoria Road was my first of the year. Three Siskins also flew over. Around Nigg Bay marshes were three Teal, three Chiffchaffs, a Willow Warbler and four Goldcrests. Better, though not a total surprise, was my first Yellow-browed Warbler of the autumn near the railway embankment west of the football pitch. It called strongly for a few seconds before appearing for a short time in the willows. Quite a bright looking individual and I suspect the first of many this autumn. Another was seen by others at the Battery this morning.

The afternoon was mostly spent seawatching, which was a bit underwhelming despite reasonable conditions. Just two Bonxies, six Manx Shearwaters and seven Wigeon. The Red-backed Shrike was still present today but I totally failed to see it. It's surprisingly elusive a lot of the time.

Good day on patch. Seawatching in the morning produced an ad Mediterranean gull and a tystie, and a juv peregrine around the foghorn. At lunchtime, the red-backed shrike showed briefly, and a short-eared owl was roosting on the golf course. Another seawatch after work, the med gull was still present, a shoveler went north, and best of all, a juv Sabine's gull went north. Makes up for missing the YBWs!

Good day on patch. Seawatching in the morning produced an ad Mediterranean gull and a tystie, and a juv peregrine around the foghorn. At lunchtime, the red-backed shrike showed briefly, and a short-eared owl was roosting on the golf course. Another seawatch after work, the med gull was still present, a shoveler went north, and best of all, a juv Sabine's gull went north. Makes up for missing the YBWs!

I think it's fair to say I'd swap you a Yellow-browed for that lot!

Finally got a fleeting glimpse of the Shrike and a fuzzy photo this morning, also an Arctic Tern in Greyhope Bay, is this not a bit late for Tern ?

Finally got a fleeting glimpse of the Shrike and a fuzzy photo this morning, also an Arctic Tern in Greyhope Bay, is this not a bit late for Tern ?

Well done on the shrike Jim. There aren't too many terns around now, but it's still possible to get the odd one. I've seen Sandwich Terns here in November!

I'm still seeing the odd Sandwich and common tern - but I haven't seen an Arctic for a while. I have seen them here in mid October before.

A mostly quiet day today, although still with a bit of interest. Nigg Bay wasn't too busy, although there were five Chiffchaffs, four Goldcrests and two Snipe. I did briefly have a Yellow-browed Warbler though, which called from near the bridge and then flew inland.

In the afternoon I managed to have some views of the Red-backed Shrike on the north bank below the allotments. Nice to see it again having totally failed to see it last weekend. A Totaliser burgeoning 18 Purple Sandpipers were roosting and there were also 16 Ringed Plovers and five Dunlin on the breakwater. Two Bonxies were offshore.

Looks to be going much more easterly over the next week, with some promising conditions possible towards next weekend. About time too.

Today was fairly overcast after a sunny start, with a brisk southerly wind. The Nigg Bay area was mostly quiet but it wasn't too much of a surprise to find two Yellow-browed Warblers amongst the tit flock around the waterworks. Rather less expected was a flock of 12 Ruff flying south - probably the biggest flock I've ever seen here. There were also three Redpolls, a Yellowhammer and two Snipe.

In the afternoon the Red-backed Shrike was showing quite nicely in the allotments, perching contentedly along the middle fence after it had demolished a caterpillar. The Totaliser was further engorged by 36 Purple Sandpipers roosting on Skate's Nose. Quite a good effort for September. An Arctic Skua was offshore.

Two more Yellow-browed Warblers showed quite well at times in the willows on the north bank below the Battery. More frustrating was a brief half-second view of what appeared to be a Ring Ouzel on the north side of the Battery. It probably was one but was so brief I'm not totally certain.

Another Yellow-browed Warbler was calling along Abbey Road, making five for the day. They're a bit common round here these days.

Attachments

• YB Warbler_Girdle Ness_240917a.jpg
    YB Warbler_Girdle Ness_240917a.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 103
I managed to get out a bit today, in what were fairly promising conditions. One of the better birds was seen early on: a juvenile Little Stint, which appeared on the north shore with a group of Redshank. It was seen again on Skate's Nose and then flying south over the golf course. That's the first I've seen here for quite a few years.

Yellow-browed Warblers were regularly encountered throughout the day. It's not easy to be exact on the numbers but I think I saw and heard at least eight: one on Abbey Road, three on the north bank and four around Nigg Bay. There was a good array of other migrants around. Two Redstarts were about, one in the allotments and one on the north bank near the Battery. There were also two Lesser Whitethroats, including a rather small, sandy brown one that showed some characteristics of blythi. Other migrants included a Spotted Flycatcher, four Goldcrests, two Blackcaps, one Willow Warbler, five Chiffchaffs, two Redwings, a Mistle Thrush, three Siskins, four Swallows, a Wheatear and a Whinchat.

The best migrant was in Nigg Bay and stumbled into the ringers' nets: a splendid Firecrest. That was my third here ever. Another rather good bird in Nigg Bay was a Treecreeper along the railway embankment - not a species I see here every year.

Attachments

• Firecrest_Nigg Bay_270917a.jpg
    Firecrest_Nigg Bay_270917a.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 98
  • YB Warbler_Nigg Bay_270917a.jpg
    YB Warbler_Nigg Bay_270917a.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Whinchat_Girdle Ness_270917a.jpg
    Whinchat_Girdle Ness_270917a.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 102
A mostly sunny day after a clear night, which I suspect had encouraged quite a lot of migrants to pack their bags and head off. There were still a good number of Song Thrushes, Goldcrests and other bits and pieces about but things were much quieter than mid-week. There were 'only' two Yellow-browed Warblers, both in the Nigg Bay area. Other warblers included four Chiffchaffs, a Willow Warbler and a Blackcap. Two Redstarts were still around, a female at the allotments and a 1st winter male in 'the Tree'. 'Shrikey' - a name our growing familiarity now dictates - was still about, showing nicely on the allotment fence (see below).

Other birds included four Snipe, a Wheatear, a Redpoll, a Knot and a Golden Plover. The latter flew south over the golf course at dusk - just my second of the year.

Attachments

• RB Shrike_Girdle Ness_300917a.jpg
    RB Shrike_Girdle Ness_300917a.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 132
Rather quiet here today, with barely anything resembling a migrant. The best birds were two Jack Snipe in the marsh, which showed well in flight. Also three Bullfinches along the railway embankment.

Still officially on the quiet side here over the past few days. It's been pleasant being out in some delightfully serene autumn weather though - the kind that makes Girdle Ness seem less like a golf course on the edge of a city and more like the sort of place you go on holiday too.

There was a bit of rain this morning and a few Redwings went over, but an afternoon wander didn't reveal many migrants. The best was a female Brambling, which was unexcpectedly trotting about the edge of the concrete path along the north side. Otherwise there was just one Chiffchaff and a Common Sandpiper. Three Wigeon flew south.

Yesterday was no better. A Blackcap was on Abbey Road and a Tree Sparrow in the allotments. From home I saw a flock of 16 Wigeon and two Teal going south.

Attachments

• Brambling_Girdle Ness_091017a.jpg
    Brambling_Girdle Ness_091017a.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Girdle Ness_091017a.jpg
    Girdle Ness_091017a.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Girdle Ness_091017b.jpg
    Girdle Ness_091017b.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Back