• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (21 Viewers)

Welcome back Andrew

Maybe we should start the Totaliser here for this winter. What do you reckon? Okay then:

Now then... you might need to explain how that works again umm... I don't think I ever understood it.

Oh well... just go for it.... I'm feeling particularly dense just now:gh:

D

There wasn't much else about though, with it being particularly quiet out to sea. This morning, when it was very calm, I saw a (presumably Bottlenose) dolphin jumping a long way out. One cause for optimism is that there's quite a bit of water in the ambitiously titled 'Nigg Bay scrape', which could help bring in a few interesting waders in the next month or so. That is if they like being chased around by dogs and skateboarders, which as far as I can tell most waders don't.

Hi Andrew,welcome home.

I am led to believe that the council want to develop areas,for holding water as part of their Wild Grass Park,which is where the path goes through the long grass next to the Football Pitches.I agree about the Golfers and Quad Bikes but once the pools are established,an early morning (before such people are about) visit,may produce some good birds.

Welcome back Andrew

Now then... you might need to explain how that works again umm... I don't think I ever understood it.

Oh well... just go for it.... I'm feeling particularly dense just now:gh:

D

Density is no prerequisite for failing to grasp the totaliser, Delia. And, for heaven's sake, don't ask him to explain it again. :)

p.s. Welcome home, Dr W

Last edited:
Seen a Hen Harrier at Loch of Skene today and Red Kite, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel at Den of Maidencraig. DOM is a great area, anyone else go there?

Umm, being new here, could someone please explain what the totalizer is? I'm afraid I'm a bit lost with that. Had a wander down to BoD mouth this morning, not too much there. A few common terns, one grey heron and some mallards. The most exciting bit was when I fell flat on my face in the mud! We had a better time at Montrose where we saw Lapwings, Redshank, Goldeneye, Goosander, Sandmartin, Moorhen, Eider duck, Arctic & Common Tern, Curlew and Shelduck. I know you've all probably seen these before but this was our first time and it was brilliant, so different from just seeing pictures in books. Has any been to St Cyrus beach? Is it worth trying there? Any advice from you all will be much appreciated.

st cyrus

Umm, being new here, could someone please explain what the totalizer is? I'm afraid I'm a bit lost with that. Had a wander down to BoD mouth this morning, not too much there. A few common terns, one grey heron and some mallards. The most exciting bit was when I fell flat on my face in the mud! We had a better time at Montrose where we saw Lapwings, Redshank, Goldeneye, Goosander, Sandmartin, Moorhen, Eider duck, Arctic & Common Tern, Curlew and Shelduck. I know you've all probably seen these before but this was our first time and it was brilliant, so different from just seeing pictures in books. Has any been to St Cyrus beach? Is it worth trying there? Any advice from you all will be much appreciated.

Hi there, was at the reserve a couple of weeks back. Peregrines, stonechats, whinchats. warblers & ringed plover on the beach. Also loads of different kinds of butterfly, well worth a visit.

I'm very glad that someone else has asked what the totaliser is, because it's a very important part of the whole 'Birds fae Torry' experience. It's the maximum count of Purple Sandpipers for each winter period. When the highest count goes higher, the totaliser goes up, and I know this is a matter of great excitement for all readers of this thread.

Seen a Hen Harrier at Loch of Skene today and Red Kite, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel at Den of Maidencraig. DOM is a great area, anyone else go there?

Den of Maidencraig looks like it has a lot of potential. I've only walked round it once, and keep meaning to go back. Maybe I'll bump into you there :t:

On a different matter, it seems to me that some of us, in our enthusiasm to share our experiences, are hijacking Andrew's thread, by widening the boundaries away from Torry, Royal Charter 1495, Girdleness and all that. Maybe a new thread should be started, covering the rest of Aberdeen, City and Shire as we are supposed to call it. Any suggestions for a title? Who's going to get it started?

Ken

Den of Maidencraig looks like it has a lot of potential. I've only walked round it once, and keep meaning to go back. Maybe I'll bump into you there :t:

On a different matter, it seems to me that some of us, in our enthusiasm to share our experiences, are hijacking Andrew's thread, by widening the boundaries away from Torry, Royal Charter 1495, Girdleness and all that. Maybe a new thread should be started, covering the rest of Aberdeen, City and Shire as we are supposed to call it. Any suggestions for a title? Who's going to get it started?

Ken

Good idea Ken - and I'd have thought you're the very chap to start it. Not sure of a title. You could either go creative or functional, I suppose.

I'm very glad that someone else has asked what the totaliser is, because it's a very important part of the whole 'Birds fae Torry' experience. It's the maximum count of Purple Sandpipers for each winter period. When the highest count goes higher, the totaliser goes up, and I know this is a matter of great excitement for all readers of this thread.

Thanks Andrew for taking the time to explain. I hope I can add to it at some point:t:

I've thought for a while that there should be a NE Scotland thread as there rarely seems to be much discussion on the likes of the Wildlife Web.

But how would it relate to the recently created Kincardineshire: Mearns and Beyond thread?

Gosh, how many posts?

I only popped offshore for a couple of days and spent the weekend over in aviemore - still couldnt find any crossbill tho! But did manage to see badger & pine marten from the comfort of a heated, double glazed hide - very swish. Also saw crested tits, spotted fly and wood warbler around loch an eilean. very nice weather and made it home in time for the moto gp.

...and welcome back Andrew and the totalizer!

Having kicked off the Kincardinshire, Mearns etc thread a couple of weeks ago, (primarily to record my own ideosychratic ramblings about the birds i have seen in and around the area where i live,) would be more than happy to federalise the threads into one big massive super-thread for the North-East.

I do think however that the only place fit to be considered the spiritual captal of said region would be Torry, for it is the centre of the known birding universe.

happy birding,

Kev T

You could just call it Wild around Aberdeen or something because historically Torry was it's own Royal Burgh.

Historically,Torry was part of Kincardineshire and seperate from the city of Aberdeen,thanks to the River Dee.My apologies,this post probably only adds to the confusion..! ;)

Grampian Birds

Would a Grampian Birds thread be too big an area to be covered ? Possibly using the same area,as is covered in the NE Scotland Bird Report.

Would a Grampian Birds thread be too big an area to be covered ? Possibly using the same area,as is covered in the NE Scotland Bird Report.

NESBR area excludes Moray but there are a few Moray folk on birdforum. I think that Aberdeenshire + Aberdeen City + Moray (i.e. Grampian region in old money) would make a reasonable area for a thread. I don't think it would be too big.

there's another thread already which covers kincardineshire, the mearns and beyond. that would certainly cover most areas to the west and south of torry. perhaps another thread for gordon, buchan and beyond could cover the rest up to but not including moray.

den of maidencraig is ace. a very underused spot with a great wee pond. last time i was there was over a year ago and got some great views of a buzzard and some deer. also saw a few frogs but can't remember any outstanding birds. certainly nice for a walk though.

The other day I seen a mammal running beside the pond at Den of Maidencraig, I couldn't get a proper look at it but it had a dark coat, relatively small like a squirrel but not a squirrel, what could it have been?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back