• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (22 Viewers)

Another interesting day in the cold here. A Mistle Thrush was again on the rooftops below my flat and there were plenty of other thrushes on the golf course - maybe 30+ Fieldfares, 2 Song Thrushes, 3 or 4 Mistle Thrushes, a couple of Blackbirds and just one Redwing. There were also several Skylarks and Meadow Pipits and at least forty Linnets again around the allotments. A couple of Bottlenose Dolphins were sauntering about the harbour mouth.

Perhaps the most entertaining sighting was along one of the small seeps on the north bank. I stomped about briefly to see if anything was hiding but nothing seemed to be. Then I heard a bit of rustling just a few feet away and noticed a Woodcock furtively scuttling about the undergrowth. It soon flew up of course but for a few seconds I had a nice view of it on the deck.

Walker Park held plenty of feeding birds. Most incongruous were a group of four Snipe, which probed away enthusiastically in the middle of the field. Several Lapwings were also there. A Goldeneye flew into the harbour (a species I don't think I saw here last year) and a first winter drake Common Scoter was in with the Eiders off the Coo. There was also a Red-throated Diver on the sea. Along the south bank, just adjacent to Walker Park, I had quick views of a couple of Twite in amongst the grass. A couple more Lapwings flew along Victoria Road.

I'm a day late with this but I've been busy all day today. So, yesterday at The Ness. It was bitterly cold, with a biting west wind (the opposite of what the forecast said) but there were indeed birds about, though maybe not as many as Andrew saw today. Or more likely he's just a better birder than I am. ;)
There were about 20 Purple Sandpipers along the base of the North Pier, it being low tide when I was there. Some kind allotment holder is feeding the birds, and there were lots of Linnets taking advantage. Along the outside of the Walker Park wall, a Mistle Thrush and a Fieldfare were busily feeding, but maybe best of all was a very smart male Reed Bunting. I took a short trip along to Cove but couldn't see much for the low sun and the other traffic. But I did see a Magpie flying over carrying a very impressive branch. The saddest sight of the day was a dead swan on the beach at Nigg Bay, but at least it was providing food for the gulls and the crows.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 64
After a Mistle Thrush and I think a Woodcock arrived in my garden in Cove today, I was thinking that the coastal path walk to Victoria Bridge might be spectacular. The strong Easterly wind with the high seas sending spume to the tops of the cliffs meant that I did not see as many birds as expected on the way in. There were a few thrush flocks (up to 30) mainly Fieldfare, and the busy friendly fellow attached who kept flying towards me then hopping away preventing an in focus shot. I think it may be a Corn Bunting, but I had my eye too long to the camera while staggering backwards trying to get focus.
At the sea fishing spot I was approached by 2 presumably Polish chaps looking for a friend whom they had not seen since 6am, whose car was there but no sign of him. Police arrived as I passed. Tried to look at as much of the coast as I could on the way North but the predominant current here is South. The sport continues it's dangerous reputation. Helicopter arrived as I was crossing the golf course, but nearing dark by that time.
Walker Park was polluted by dogs but I found large thrush flocks in a sheltered spot in the middle of the golf course. Still to identify a bird with dark legs, shortish dark bill, mottled front which didn't fly off quickly. Books out tonight. Don't suppose I'll identify it.

Attachments

• 100110 poss corn bunting.JPG
    100110 poss corn bunting.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 80
Well, as has been said already, still quite a few thrushes around at the ness, and plenty of other things forced coastward...Up to 70 linnets in the allotments, although I saw (or heard) no sign of any twite unfortunately, unlike others. Best passerine was a snow bunting that went over the allotments.

Seawatching was quiet, but the common scoter was still with the eiders, and a gannet went north. As an aside, I noticed that you can now get into the foghorn 'enclosure' and stand up by the horn itself, which makes an excellent sheltered seawatching viewpoint. Some thoughtful vandalism there....

A peregrine was also hunting over the golfcourse, and a knot was in greyhope bay.

Lets hope there's a happy ending to the polish fishermans story.

After a Mistle Thrush and I think a Woodcock arrived in my garden in Cove today, I was thinking that the coastal path walk to Victoria Bridge might be spectacular. The strong Easterly wind with the high seas sending spume to the tops of the cliffs meant that I did not see as many birds as expected on the way in. There were a few thrush flocks (up to 30) mainly Fieldfare, and the busy friendly fellow attached who kept flying towards me then hopping away preventing an in focus shot. I think it may be a Corn Bunting, but I had my eye too long to the camera while staggering backwards trying to get focus.
At the sea fishing spot I was approached by 2 presumably Polish chaps looking for a friend whom they had not seen since 6am, whose car was there but no sign of him. Police arrived as I passed. Tried to look at as much of the coast as I could on the way North but the predominant current here is South. The sport continues it's dangerous reputation. Helicopter arrived as I was crossing the golf course, but nearing dark by that time.
Walker Park was polluted by dogs but I found large thrush flocks in a sheltered spot in the middle of the golf course. Still to identify a bird with dark legs, shortish dark bill, mottled front which didn't fly off quickly. Books out tonight. Don't suppose I'll identify it.

Bad news about the fisherman. Your bird isn't a Corn Bunting, but it is a Twite - nice one!

Bad news about the fisherman. Your bird isn't a Corn Bunting, but it is a Twite - nice one!

That is indeed a Twite, well done! Due to the hard weather there are quite a few of these birds scattered up and down the coast, with over 20 up at Strathbeg today. Snow Buntings have been around in good numbers too, which I read you saw earlier this week, well done.

I was down at the Ness today, and as people have said there would good amounts of thrushes (Fieldfare, Redwing, Mistle Thrush) on the golf course, and a good number of commoner waders down by the shore. Had a possible Great Northern Diver past at sea but it was a very long way out and the light might have given me a false impression as to the birds features.

Still a whole bunch of thrushes around (one flock of 58 fieldfares and two mistle thrushes), and a reed bunting over the golf course. Drake goldeneye in between the beakwaters, and a female sparrowhawk buzzing the allotments. Best of it was out to sea, with good numbers of fulmars and kittis about, a few RBmergs and common scoter north, and a cracking great northern diver went north just beyond the breakers.

Yesterday, good numbers of snipe around, 4 lapwing, and a single dunlin in the walled garden.

2 Genuine patch megas today, in the same binocular view! Moorhen and Coot both on the stream that runs behind the waterworks. Not a lot of other new stuff going around, but a Lesser black backed gull going north past the foghorn was very early, and there were knot and dunlin on the golf course.

Some pretty spectacular waves breaking over the breakwater too!

two great crested grebes were in the harbour this morning, opposite the new SEPA building. Not a lot else around though, still a few mistle thrushes and fieldfares on the golfcourse, and a female sparrowhawk in the battery willows.

I've certainly been missing some serious megas this week. I would have a look for those grebes from my flat, but viewing conditions are less than ideal at the moment.

You know what? It's lovely here in Torry today. Sunny. Mild. Not much wind. No birds. I hate nice weather. But I did still have a look round the Ness this morning.

As others have been noting, Sparrowhawks are much in evidence at the moment. I probably saw two different birds around the allotments and the north bank, including a small male, which flew across the harbour. There were some other raptors too, with a Kestrel on the south bank and a Buzzard, rather unusually, hunting over the golf course. I also managed to pick out a distant Peregrine on Triple Kirks, so it was all go on the raptor front.

Maybe they scared off the other birds. Most of the thrushes have gone, although I did see one Mistle Thrush, and only three Linnets still seemed to be about. Two Red-throated Divers were off the Coo, which now seems thoroughly padlocked again, after apparently being available as a seawatching hide during the week.

Of course, I needed to have a look around St Fittick's to see if any mega rallid action was still happening. I had quite a good look round, clocking a large flock of 19 Curlew as I did so, but it wasn't till I was returning that I managed to find the Moorhen skulking along the edge of the ditch. So, I twitched a Moorhen. That's a bit weird, and possibly slightly wrong, but hey it was a patch tick. A pair of Siskins were in trees along Victoria Road as I walked back home.

Sadly, none of the other megas that were seen during the week seemed to be around. No Coot, no Great-crested Grebes, no fridge.

I spotted several flocks of about 20 Curlew on my walk from Cove to Torry, These have been missing from the usual spots near me recently, so I expect I'll start to see them again away from the coast. There were about 10 small flocks of anglers between Cove and Nigg Bay, certainly a record for me. The access I have used to the Coo for the past few years has been via a gap in the bars to the South East, but this may only be accessible to slim birders. I photographed the Purple Sandpipers in Greyhope Bay, but I'm glad I didn't count them as the number was well below the Totaliser. A male Goldeneye was downstream of Victoria Bridge. A pleasant day, but I can see that I need to carry my telescope or clean my binoculars, as I did not spot any Red Throated Divers, despite looking beyond the Eider, which were still missing South of Nigg Bay.

I went up to the Coo today. I think that more bars have been removed since I was last up there as I could easily get in with a backpack and camera. It was even more comfortable than I remembered. My camera was able to rest on the toothed ring, and a telescope could be attached to the ring with a clamp, which might be steadier than a tripod in strong wind. I spotted about 4 Guillemots and 4 Red Throated Divers in the mist. Not much else of interest in the walk. A male Eider seemed to be in trouble in Greyhope Bay, which will add to the several dead birds I have seen on my walks this week. Times must still be tough for the birds around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back